Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aux brake light in the cockpit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Trekkor
I have a small red light that I want to install so i can see "brakes on" in my videos.
i will mount the light onto my Hot Lap display.

What are the wires to take power/ground from on top of the tunnel harness?
( colors? )

'74 tub...

KT
Brad Roberts
Pull the pedal board back. The switch for the brake lights is on the pedal cluster. The wire running to the back from the switch is the one your need. I just looked at the color last week while I was trimming out several pounds of wiring in a AutoX 914 down here.

I'll call you back in a few minutes. I'm on hold with yet another vendor...

B
jhadler
I'd probably want to make it as small, and unobtrusive as possible. I think I'd rather rig up a small LED and place it behind me in such a way that the camera sees it, but I don't. Nothing more distracting than diving into turn 1 under brakes and see a red light near the dash. Even if I know what it is...

I'm sure others have their own philosophy about dash instrumentation. But for me, on the track, I wouldn't want any lights going on or off in my field of view unless they're lights that are telling me something IMPORTANT.

How about a small red LED for brakes, and wire up a bar graph LED to a Throttle Position Sensor on the throttle shaft. Then you've got telemetry!!! smile.gif

-Josh2
grantsfo
Gotta love low tech telemetry. I'm sure you can buy all this stuff at Home Depot. You could get LED Chistmas lights for differnt colors on throttle response. biggrin.gif
jhadler
Oh, and add a little weight hanging from a string off the rear view mirror to indicate lateral G's!

Low tech telemetry to make the fancy F1 systems quiver in their boots... :-)

Actually, that one's not new. I had an instructor once that would hang a small bell from the mirror. If the bell rang, you weren't driving smoothly engough. Certainly wouldn't want that hanging there during competition, but for practice (and occasional daily driving), it was a great driving aid.

-Josh2
McMark
You could add a rod to the throttle pedal to actuate a potentiometer and then mount an ohm meter in the field of view so you can see % of throttle. wink.gif
Trekkor
I will include a switch in the center console to turn off the light when I'm not running video, which is most of the time.

I like the throttle position light idea, too idea.gif

I understand low voltage magnetic switches, like the the ones for home security systems, work well. ( off, mid, full )

KT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jhadler @ Dec 4 2006, 01:44 PM) *

Oh, and add a little weight hanging from a string off the rear view mirror to indicate lateral G's!

Low tech telemetry to make the fancy F1 systems quiver in their boots... :-)

Actually, that one's not new. I had an instructor once that would hang a small bell from the mirror. If the bell rang, you weren't driving smoothly engough. Certainly wouldn't want that hanging there during competition, but for practice (and occasional daily driving), it was a great driving aid.

-Josh2

Simpler still would be a glass of water RTVed to the dashtop to give an artificial horizon. Trek you have GOT to get some Home Depot sponsorship!
Aaron Cox
anyone remember the 'hotrod' magazine's low cost G-meter?

they used a big gulp cup laid out on teh dash LOL
Trekkor
I ran with the light yesterday. worked perfect and was not distracting at all.

Installed the in-console switch, too.

Another successful project.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.