Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You guys are scaring the hell outta me!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
warrenporsche
I am getting ready to strip down my car and begin resto, but after what I have seen here, ( can't belive I am saying this) I am giving some serious thought to putting it back together, selling it and getting an old 911! seriously is there a chance that 5-10 years from now, even if I fix it right, I will have to do all this rustoration over again?! sad.gif
smontanaro
I suppose you might have to if you abuse the car weather-wise after the restoration. If things are done right and you avoid wet/snowy weather I think you should be okay though. What kind of storage do you have? How wet is it in Winston, GA?

Skip
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Dec 4 2006, 07:14 PM) *

I am getting ready to strip down my car and begin resto, but after what I have seen here, ( can't belive I am saying this) I am giving some serious thought to putting it back together, selling it and getting an old 911! seriously is there a chance that 5-10 years from now, even if I fix it right, I will have to do all this rustoration over again?! sad.gif

You'd probably find similar problems with an older 911, unless you spend big bucks on a pristine or restored one. And, you maintenace & parts costs will be higher also.

Rust-belt cars can be expensive to redo, especially if they have been driven year round.

Basically, a small rust hole is no better than a large one - the part still has to be replaced (not necessarily so w/body parts). Yeah, it's not pretty & you have to be dedicated to keeping the car from the junkyard.
jd74914
An old 911 won't rust any more slowly. Think about it this way . . . the car has lasted 30+ years after the factory put it together, why can't it last the same amount of time after you rebuild it? All you have to do is take care of it.
warrenporsche
I have an inside garage for the car so I guess it wil be okay. Maybe I am just afraid to get it apart and see what I will find, but I still prefer a 914 to an older 911. so if they are equally rust I will hold what I've got.
GaroldShaffer
I say you need both biggrin.gif I myself just picked up a 71 911 T targa to go along with my 70 914. Both are project cars, but I can drive the 914 and it WILL be done this spring.
914runnow
QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Dec 4 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Well I HAVE THE REALLY BIG CURE FOR YOUR DILEMMA...
This has worked well for me for 9 years now........

blink.gif >>>>>>>>>>>>>JACK STANDS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< blink.gif
chair.gif alfred.gif barf.gif confused24.gif dead horse.gif
headbang.gif huh.gif idea.gif ohmy.gif poke.gif
LAST BUT NOT LEAST:::::::::::
owned.gif BY PORSCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Dec 5 2006, 06:48 PM) *

I say you need both biggrin.gif I myself just picked up a 71 911 T targa to go along with my 70 914. Both are project cars, but I can drive the 914 and it WILL be done this spring.

Sorta hear what you're saying.

Bought a '70E (w/hydro suspension!) bunch of years ago to go w/my 914. Loved it & got inot a bunch of trouble w/it - sold it.

Bought a '76 924 to go w/my 914. Loved it (yes, that's right I actually liked it), auto-x'd to death - sold it.

Bought a '73 CIS T 15 years ago, to go w/my 914. Drove it all the time, except winter. Last year the shift bushing crapped out on the 911 - hasn't been out of the garage since. My back is so bad I can hardly work on it, but my 914 loves it as a stablemate. probably going to split them up soon, before they get together in the dark & produce a 912.5!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.