Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: George Vellios
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
It seems different threads end up talking about some Vellios parts. It seemed he had quite a few good ideas for 914s, mostly 10 years ago it seems. I heard that he had pretty much retired, and I last talked to him a few years ago. Any of you California types know what he's up to? It seems some of the conversions parts that are becoming available are similar to his ideas. Neat guy from what I remember - he was very nice to talk to.
Joe Bob
Dude, the guy was a flake when I knew him 30 years ago and I lived down the street from him...age and the internet hasn't made him any more responsive.

If yer asking abiut his 915 and 930 tranny stuff, Bradhole and others say it works after YOU fix his screw ups.

First AND only time that I would recommend talking to>>>>>>>OMY GAWD>>>>

Patrick Motor...acckkkk...Spirt.....cooougghhhh....pattoie...

PMS in AZ
GeorgeRud
Interesting take on him. I bought one if his 915 tranny conversions, and it's worked great, so I'm sorry to hear others were not so lucky. It did seem he had some neat ideas (id 911 rear hub conversions, 930 trans conversions??).
Joe Bob
Be advised...I NEVER did a Porsche deal with him. It was Type I VW stuff back in the late 70s and early 80s....

We even spoke the same language...being Greek descent. He was slippery and a bit of a con artist...but then again so was OTTO in Venice....con artist that is....OTTO was full on redneck......YMMV.
Brad Roberts
George had some really good idea's. I honestly beleive he was ahead of his time when it came to some of the parts.

Last I heard, he took on a job that would keep him busy for years to come. Supplying somebody with a LOT of parts.

His 915 setup required a lot of work to make it work correctly in a 915 gearbox. Unless you installed it yourself.. your mechanic probably "fixed" the machining issues and made it work for you.

Some of the first 100 or so castings were obviously cast incorrectly. You could see it in all the AA ads back in the day. He later corrected it. It was off bad enough that it placed the tranny in BIND with the front engine mount.

Patrick bought eveything he had before WEVO stepped up.

B
John
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 4 2006, 08:42 PM) *

We even spoke the same language...being Greek descent. He was slippery and a bit of a con artist...but then again so was OTTO in Venice....con artist that is....OTTO was full on redneck......YMMV.

You've gotta be shitting me. I've only had good dealings with OTTO and wouldn't hesitate to send people to him with parts needs. (Has he changed from the past?)

Don't get me wrong, you probably know him personally and I've only dealt with him a few times and he was more than fair with me on those occasions.
John
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 4 2006, 08:45 PM) *

Patrick bought eveything he had before WEVO stepped up.

B

Wasn't there a guy named Edward Barrett that kind of took over the Vellios parts or did that never work out? There is a site with all the old George Vellios parts

Vellios / EBarrett Site

Anybody know this guy? Is this even real anymore or is it all gone now?
Brad Roberts
The funny part about that website:

I asked George to remove the pic of MY race car that was on the site. It didnt have a single "Vellios" part on it...LOL I know exactly what picture he used...still dont know how he got it. I see the link to the pic is broken currently.

B
GeorgeRud
Ed Barret is the guy that I ended up buying my parts from, he seemed to be a good guy but definately was doing this very part time at best. The site was still up last time I checked, but I think he only had a few parts available.

Now that WEVO has taken up the mantle, there is probably a much better alternative to the old Vellios parts, but I still appreciate the innovations he was trying many years ago.

Perhaps best remembered as a colorfull moment in the 914 history files!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 4 2006, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 4 2006, 08:42 PM) *

You've gotta be shitting me. I've only had good dealings with OTTO and wouldn't hesitate to send people to him with parts needs. (Has he changed from the past?)

Don't get me wrong, you probably know him personally and I've only dealt with him a few times and he was more than fair with me on those occasions.

old otto makes me look like mother teresa...
John
old otto makes me look like mother teresa...

I thought you still look like that.....

Anyway, maybe it was redneck to redneck and I just got along with him? Who knows...
Aaron Cox
otto is a nice guy....
Joe Bob
Otto IS a good wrench....Otto is GREAT 914 pilot....he's just a crusty old PITA....not like it's a BAD thing....
dflesburg
must be tough being a guy and trying to live on the left coast, you would probably offend people daily.

wait, I offend people daily in Ohio...

hmmm.

I like Otto!
IronHillRestorations
I USED to get the Velios oil tanks. After a couple years of getting them one or two at a time, he said I'd get a better price if I got four at a time and paid up front. Bad move on my part. It took almost sixteen months and the threat of litigation to get the last tanks, and two of the four were leakers.

From my experience, George Velios=good ideas, bad businessman, borderline crook. I wouldn't enter into any transaction with that guy ever again.
Joe Bob
See? Even Perry thinks the guy has "issues".....is that a happier word for a Gonif, shyster, carny, flim flammer....etc, etc?
slivel
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 4 2006, 09:57 PM) *

Otto IS a good wrench....Otto is GREAT 914 pilot....he's just a crusty old PITA....not like it's a BAD thing....

Agree. Otto and I were part of ARE's 1996 pit crew at the 24 hours of Daytona so I know him pretty well. Otto also rode with me once at the Streets of Willow in my 944 Turbo. We were shown the meatball flag and exited the track......on fire! But that is another story.
whatabout1
I got allot of Vellios' -6 conversion parts back in the 80's.
George was an excellent prototyper but really fell apart when
it came to production. I visited his garage/shop many times.
He hired some poor quality people to do the production. One
guy was down right scary.

One time I was there this worker was machining a run of
915 side shift parts. Only he was placing every one in the jig
wrong !!!

I never had any problems with George other then his packaging
for shipping sucked. (I think his girl friend was handling that)
That is when I started picking up the stuff and shipping it myself.

His stuff have been on my 914-6 for 20 years w/ no issues.

bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.