Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Willow Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
someone on another website (YEP, they exist!) biggrin.gif

asked IF "Anybody gonna be there on 12/10 Sunday"?

I then asked,
for the Touring Car Club,
or
the SpeedVentures group?

He then says: i was planning for the touring car club.
are there 2 choices for that day?
i dont know much about this stuff since it will be my first time, but TRCA has a $125 open track day that has very few limitations and set up mainly for first-timers and non track junkies.

Me: there are TWO tracks there at Willow Springs.
the Willow Springs International Raceway
and the Streets of Willow.

The Speed Ventures group are running the Streets.

He then asks the Question I'd like some HELP answering:

I heard the streets is a shorter course and not as desireable.
What is your opinion on the different tracks?
Do you have any advice for a first-timer?

I've ONLY watched at W.S., never driven on either.

Can some of you offer up your opinions?

Thanks.
sww914
First time? I'd have to take the streets. Safer because of the lower speeds, but there's still so much to learn. I think the fast guys are a bit less agressive there too because everyone knows there are a lot of beginners out there. I've been at it for several years and I still love the streets.
At the big track, turn 8 is the fastest part of the track. Look at the track map. Do you really want to be going 120, 130, 140 through that your first day?
You'll have a blast at the streets and there will be tons of guys just like you.
VegasRacer
I have raced on both track.
For a beginner - Streets is a better choice. Hands down.
Streets is shorter and not as fast as the big track.
I also think it is more fun and safer for a DE.

Get an Instructor. Use more than one if you can.
Have fun and be safe. smilie_flagge24.gif
Sammy
content removed
slivel
QUOTE(Sammy @ Dec 5 2006, 07:22 AM) *

Streets = slower, technical, lots of turning but no real danger.

Big track = better have your car set up right and have balls or you will be a turtle and piss off everyone else on that lap. Still technical AFA braking points and apexes but it's more about being smooth and carrying as much speed as possible.

Newbie belongs on the streets, not the big track. After a little bit of experience he can go on the big track with a good instructor.

I agree that the Streets is more appropriate for a beginner. The only complaint that I have with the Streets is that some of the transitions from asphalt to off-track were very rough. The big track has smoother transitions and is safer in that regard. So keep your car on the track.
SLITS
Streets ..... fun and technical

Big Track ...... shit your pants fast and fun too!
andys
I would as well recommend the Streets. Slower speeds puts you less at risk in case you have an event. At the big track, an "event" can have serious consequences, especially if your car doesn't have the full saftey treatment (cage, harness, fire control, etc).

As a first timer on the Streets avoid late breaking everything, but rather try to develop a nice rythm to the point where you're not chasing the track. Take your time, drive within yourself, pay no attention to someon elses stopwatch, and above all, have fun. Let us know what you decide. I just might stop by (as a spectator).

Andys
kart54
Streets of Willow is normally run as a mile and three quarter track with 13 turns. Each turn varies and they are intersting and fun. One semi long straight that, depending on direction of the run goes into a right hand sweeper that declines in radius as you complete the turn. If you know what your doing it's a thrill ride to hit the top of the straight which is at the top of the hill, and apex the turn properly still flat out then try and get slowed down for the declining radius. Cars tend to get much more bunched up on the streets and the turns help to equalize horsepower differentials. I beat a race prepped GT1 Z06 corvette in a Mazda RX-7 with nothing more than suspension and race slicks on it.
Streets is more technical and more of a driver's track in my mind.
Big Willow is a blast for a different reason. 2.5 miles and 9 turns; almost a mile and three quarter of straightaway with turns mixed in. In my full race 914 with Goodyear slicks I am flat out in fifth for the majority of the track and that's with taller than stock 4th and 5th gears. At turn three I briefly downshift to third and by turn five I am back to full throttle in fifth. I run down the back straight in fifth on the rev limiter, into turn 8 still on the limiter, into 9 the same way; the turn itself scrubs enough speed to briefly take me off the limiter at the apex and by the front straight I'm back on the limiter. Left foot brake into one still in fifth and stay there until turn 3 then do it all again.
The first few times through turn 8 and 9 which are slightly banked but full speed turns your friend will be wondering why he ever decided this was a good idea and what that wet spot in his pants is. After those first few times you get more comfortable. For me, Big Willow is only exciting because I've been going there since I was 6 months old (that is now almost over 50 years I hate to admit) and because of the speed. I love the track but definitely agree that streets is a better place to learn to drive.
There will also be a much greater speed differential on Big Willow. When I race there in the 914 I have guys going by me who are going at least 50 miles an hour more than my car is currently capable of. You have to keep your eyes open. Wrecks can be huge, very undesirable and even deadly. Personally, I would never run Big Willow in anything that didn't have a full cage with Nascar style door bars, full belts and me in a Helmet with a Hans and a fire suit. I've seen what can happen if you don't and it ain't pretty. That said, it's a fun track and the speed is amazing.
Randy
Car 54 SCCA G prod Porsche 914
byndbad914
agree.gif with pretty much what everyone else said.

I have been on both tracks and here is my take - a bunch of us engineers at work rented Streets one time and then Buttonwillow (not the same comparison, but bigger than Streets so bear with me). On streets, all 20 of us had different cars (I had my pickup actually but that Lightning put the stomp on quite a few imports so can't knock it) but we ALL had fun and the tighter track kinda kept everyone on their toes and it made it hard for the Corvettes and my truck to just overrun everyone with speed. The bigger track means the fast guys get pissed behind the slow guys, the imports felt intimidated and so forth. And we all knew each other as friends and were frustrated a bit with each other.

So, the Streets is a great track to keep all levels of driver abilities somewhat on par - as a newbie you will get a great experience without feeling like you are holding everyone up (most likely though I have no idea what your abilities are nor care to hazard a guess). Willow Springs is rather intimidating and if your car tops out at say 110-120, you will be flat out and holding up traffic through T8 and the straight frankly.

That said, my first ever road course experience was about 10yrs ago now in a 70 Boss 302 T/A car on the big track and I LOVE the big track personally as I love to really hit high speeds tho' quite a bit more dangerous. First time out I clicked a 1:37 on my second lap in a 70 Mustang - only 2 seconds off the owner's times - so I am nuts enough to hang it out there thumb3d.gif

Either way, trust me, you do it once and it is like heroin (so I have heard - immediately addicting for sure).
andys
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Dec 5 2006, 03:11 PM) *

On streets, all 20 of us had different cars (I had my pickup actually but that Lightning put the stomp on quite a few imports so can't knock it) but we ALL had fun and the tighter track kinda kept everyone on their toes and it made it hard for the Corvettes and my truck to just overrun everyone with speed. The bigger track means the fast guys get pissed behind the slow guys, the imports felt intimidated and so forth. And we all knew each other as friends and were frustrated a bit with each other.

Hey byndbad914, I may have been there that day?? I recall seeing this Lightning giving 'em a bad time, so if that was you then it's verified. I think it was the day I showed and my buddy broke down on the way to the track, so I left early.

Yeah, the differential in speed can be difficult to deal with at Big Willow for both fast guy and slow guy. Slow guy needs to hold his line, and move over only when it's safe. It's hard because you drive with one eye in the mirror. Fast guy; well not much to say here except when your approach speed is high and you takes your chances; ones that minimize risk and hope slow guy sees you comming!

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.