onrails
i had a chance to weigh my car at a club race
that i was working the scales at.

my car weighs 2,164 lbs.
995 in the front&1,169 in the rear.
hope that helps!

one more thing!i have the weight written down for
all 4 wheels seprately,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
does anyone know the best way to get my ratio?

i've heard different ways{front to back,,,,,,,,cross corner}
what is best?
machina
A local guy built this trailer for me. I had it made narrower and lower than most car trailers. Used drop axels that put the bed really low.

I only have 70" between the fenders. I went with an open pit. This gives you a good way to get under the car if you need to at the track without jacks.

The overall width of the trailer is only 92" which just barely fits in my garage. Still haven't put it in there thought because the wheels stick out about .75" each side mad.gif

Have to find trailer wheels with differnt offset or start chipping away at the stucco on my house to fit it in.

Also, trailer is light enough to drag around the driveway with a hand dolly. We used lighter gauge steel since the car was so light.

dr
r_towle
I have the same problem, but I have two inches to paly with on my garage doors :-)

I have a 12 foot long beaver tail bed. just long enough for the wheels of a 914.
when I get it on the trailer there is about 6 inches on either side to open the doors before hitting the fender.

Look at aluminum trailers, lighter and easier to haul with a car.
If you keep the trailer under 1000 lbs, you can haul it with most any car...most cars are rated to haul 3500 lbs.
Make sure you have duel axles, you want the tongue weight to be basically zero with a car on it, this way you wont be using the rear suspension on the car as much.

Go to a local metal shop and they usually make trailers.

Rich
machina
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 14 2003, 11:04 AM)
Make sure you have duel axles, you want the tongue weight to be basically zero with a car on it, this way you wont be using the rear suspension on the car as much.

Even with dual axles, its gonna fishtail like a mother with 0 tongue weight. You really need about 10% of the total load on the tongue for a stable tow.

dr
seanery
I've been looking at this guy's TRAILERS. I'll probably go for one if/when I get a bigger garage.
r_towle
I have many trailers, but by far my most favorite one to two is the one that is perfectly balanced.
I can move the trailer by hand with a car on it....
This makes aiming it at the garage alot easier...
Tows like a dream, no fishies at all, just lucky I guess.

Look around at the used trailers on the market, alot of good deals this time of year, and alot cheaper than new...

Open trailers come up all the time from guys that are going to closed units...

Rich
GaroldShaffer
A local guy built this trailer for me. I had it made narrower and lower than most car trailers. Used drop axels that put the bed really low.

I like that look. If I can ask, approx how much $$$ did it
run???
GaroldShaffer
One more thing, what do you use to tow it with? I have
a 2003 Dakota V6 2wd. Using my cousins trailer to haul
home the parts cars was a bit of a load on the truck.

- Garold
machina
Trailer was $1200 made to my specs. Guy built it in about 3 days, start to finish. Its no work of art but it does the job.

Tow with GMC Yukon XL. Really not overkill at all. With the 5.3 motor, the whole rig with trailer, car, and full up cargo area, feels barely adequae. Next time will go for the 6.0.

Without an enclosed trailer, the back of the truck fills up real fast. Parts, fuel jugs, trailer stuff, etc.

Dakota should be OK but not ideal. You can get by with a station wagon if you had to, have seen it done, but your margin of safety dwindles with a smaller vehicle. I like the long wheelbase of the XL for towing. Makes for a real stable ride.

have fun,
dr
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 14 2003, 10:03 AM)
I have many trailers, but by far my most favorite one to two is the one that is perfectly balanced.

agree.gif I used to tow a 36' enclosed pontoon boat with my 73, 17' Datsun pickup. The trailer was designed just for the boat(as are most boat trailers). I could easily pick up the hitch and move it anywhere I wanted with ease, on a flat surface of course. It towed just as well. Perfect balance is the key.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.