Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spray gun for applying por15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
Will this work for spraying por-15?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=11701
Mark Henry
Phone Por-15, they will tell you if an airless would work.

With the shipping the price of that one it's not too far off how much they are at Home Debit. If it's just the regular por-15 the stuff flows real good with just a brush, when it's done it looks like you used an airgun.

Also be real careful with overspray! It sticks to everthing and will not come off!!!
Qarl
If you spray, you need to get their special thinner. It's too thick to spray as is.

I used a small HVLP spray gun.

GOOF OFF removes POR-15 very well while still wet. Great for cleaning out your paint gun!!!
TheCabinetmaker
Don't waste your money. That's a knock off of the Wagner power painter. The spray pattern is round, not flat. Might be good for painting a fence, but everything else will run, run, run. It won't atomize the paint without thinning it to the point of being like water.
sj914
I guess I'll be breaking out the HVLP I've got. I just didn't want to use my real spray gun for por-15.
TheCabinetmaker
Use the HVLP gun. It'll work great. Just clean it good immediately.
Qarl
Run goof off through it to clean it... it dissolves it instantly!!!
rezron
I just used one of my smaller touch up guns that I use for doing jambs. It's just a siphon gun- not hvlp. It worked fine
shooting it straight out of the can with no thinning.

rezron
Rusty
Sorry I'm chiming in late. Don't run POR-15 through your good HVLP gun.

Get an el-cheapo Harbor Freight touch up gun, use it and throw it away. The advice you got about thinning POR-15 is correct. You'll need their thinner. IIRC, the mix is 10:1.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Mueller
use a strainer with the paint to help remove any solids that might be in it....I agree with Lawrance, just get a cheap "detail" sprayer so that if you toss it, you'll only be out a few bucks.
Joe Ricard
Don't let it dry on your hands. Read label 1st. Don't get it on your hands, If you do stop what you are doing and clean up. Don't get it on your hands. I wore this stuff for like three days I guess I will never rust. at least on my hands. chair.gif
sj914
Thanks for all the advise. Ruining my spray gun is what I want to avoid. Now this is alittle OT from spray guns, but there is some obvious places I cant sand or grind the rust out of ex. cable shield for the e-brake line. Is getting all the rust off that critical?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.