Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield woes or
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
Buckaroo Bonzai was right!
Last night I thought I would spruce up the green machine and fix the windshield trim. Well, I lifted up a section of trim and the WHOLE FREAKING windshield came out!!! Sorry Kevin, there goes the spare windshield!
mad.gif ohmy.gif
So now I guess I am going to learn glass installation! LAME!
I know I need 914 552 263 10, lower windshield to glass gasket, but what else? I can't tell if that black stuff is 37 yo tape or a gasket that the tape was on?? Are the trim clips a NLA item? Should I just get some ww1 goggles?

Re opening the tape versus tube debate as well!

And what would a Dinomium project be without a "While yer in there item"? The dash pad is cracked an worn out. It is this significantly easier to replace with the glass removed?
Allan
Bummer on the windshield. The clips for the trim are still available from most of the known sources. The dash to windshield seal might be a little scarce.
freezing14
tube are tape they are both easy it is best to find a frined who will help you put the windsheild down,, if you use the tape ,,as soon as it touchs it it will stay there,, if you use the tube be ready to use popsicle stick piece at the bottom while it cure to maintain the space at the bottom, the clip are still available new from pelican or dealer

the windsheild to dash gasket is still available ( at least it was last year) but if it is good and you dont pull on it you can change the windsheild without touching it

as for the dash pad it's not that easier with the windsheild out , but i hate the look of crack unless ( . )( . )
Dr Evil
Windshield in or out makes no difference on dash installation. Just as easy/difficult either way. Tough luck on teh windshield.
davep
QUOTE(dinomium @ Dec 5 2006, 10:16 AM) *

Well, I lifted up a section of trim and the WHOLE FREAKING windshield came out!!!

My guess is that the windshield wasn't 'in' to begin with. It should never come out that easily. If you remove the seal and it has a wire 'core' in it, then it was originally factory installed. If not, some bozo botched the replacement.

Factory replacement kits ( I have one or two) have little spacer blocks to position the glass.

Be sure the glass is set low enough with respect to the frame that the trim pieces sit where they are supposed to. I have had the experience where the glass sat too high and the trim would not clip into place. The job had to be done again ( with the attendant risk of breaking the glass) by the glass shop that did the job. Make sure they understand exactly what has to be done, so it will be done correctly the first time.
tracks914
Are those replacement kits for sale???
GaroldShaffer
I just order the clips & spacers from pelican last week. But rumor has it that they are going to be NLA soon. At least that is what I was told when I ordered them.

Bruce, calling GWN7 yet another product for you to make if these are truky NLA.
SLITS
Butyl tape 3/8" and mash it a bit as you install it (1/4" is to small).

I ditched the brite trim and went to rubber moulding ..... looks nice, no clips, no bent brite trim
dinomium
thanks for the replies guys.
I called Dave @ GPR today, he is "checking" to see if there are any windshield to dask gaskets availible...
sad.gif Dho!
914werke
Dino keep me in the loop Im might also be needen one of dem
dinomium
will do, Rich! If he locates more than one I will buy at least two!
Ugmo needs a new windscreen as well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.