Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: get ready Colorado - I am bringing my kinda crazy out there next month
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
byndbad914
Been tired of LA/OC for a long time now with all the BS and over-crowding. I am going to seriously miss all of my friends and so forth of course, but look forward to getting outta here. So I am yet another Californian gonna start bringing the over-crowding to Denver area biggrin.gif dry.gif

Gotta get the car to Willow at least once this month... one last time...
Ferg
As in Lousiville Colorado, east of Boulder?? if so Howdy neighbor thumb3d.gif

Find a house ect yet?

Ferg
TROJANMAN
smile.gif
jhadler
Welcome!!

Let us know when you're movin' out, we'll make sure to meet you at the state line with Jackstands and Sawz-All's... biggrin.gif

-Josh2
TINCAN914
Oh great another Californian messin up the state...
I mean welcome, from one former Californian to another...
brant
This is great news!
can't wait till we have your welcome party..

plus I definitely want to look your car over!
you'll be about 15-20 miles as the crow flies from Gint, and myself.
and maybe 5 miles from ferg!

brant
Scott S
I am one exit to the east of Louisville! Welcome, from another OC native....
byndbad914
cool... thanks for all the warm invites beerchug.gif I am going to have to fly out and look for a rental around Xmas tho' I need to start calling now. My fiancee and I want to live out there for a little bit and get to know all the areas around there before buying a house - then we can buy in the city that is most convenient to everything we want access to along with work.

We love Boulder, but that place is a bit pricey - tho' nothing like CA but that is why I am leaving to begin with - but we may just bite the bullet and buy on the east side of Boulder so I have a slick commute down to Louisville and all the amenities of Boulder within easy access.

We may try out in Erie at first since there are tons of new homes at really good prices... whaddaya locals think of Erie? I freak out when it starts feeling "farm-y" because I grew up in Iowa and that farm-y feel kinda freaks me out blink.gif But there are some nice big places out there for what a Californian would consider dirt cheap. Those $300K homes are equivalent to $1.3-$1.5mil in El Segundo and that is not a joke - dat's duh troof!
Brett W
At least you are closer to a couple of race tracks than I was when I lived in Durango.
Mountain914
Welcome! no eathquakes here. piratenanner.gif
As a Boulder native, I tell you Boulder is a nice place to be from and maybe visit but no way I'd ever live there again !! (It's true what they say, you can never go home again).

I'd look forward to meeting you, but I'm always too dang busy with my girlfirend owned.gif

We've got a great bunch (me excluded, of course) just don't let them get the sawzall too close !! sawzall-smiley.gif
BMartin914
Ferg lives in Erie. He can give you a blow-by-blow of the area.

The definition of eastern Colorado IS "farm-y" just comes with the territory. The good stuff is in the opposite direction...
Scott S
My wife is from Iowa as well - we still drive back for ISU's homecoming, and give each other crap at every CU/ISU game.
Ferg lives on the new side of Erie - it's really great. We are in Broomfield, which is the town that boarders Erie to the South and west. Both are very nice and give a very home town feel. I actually bought a 1972 home on purpose (even with it's aluminum wiring and shake roof), as the neighborhood was so great.

If you are an outdoors person, you will really like it here - just dont tell anyone......
; )

beerchug.gif
Ferg
Sent you a PM, we should chat.

Moved to Erie 2 years ago, and love it. Some "Boulder" people think it's the sticks, but I work downtown Boulder and don't think a 13 mile commute is the sticks rolleyes.gif

All the above area's are excellent, if you like the outdoors it does not get much better (just got back from my "lunch run" on a moutain trail just outside my office thumb3d.gif )

Ferg
byndbad914
Familiar with Broomfield too - my friend from High School just moved from Englewood up there 2 months ago (he has been in Boulder/Denver area over 10yrs - his wife is from Broomfield and I was just staying at his new place last month while I interviewed!).

He has a Volvo wagon he just built a turbo'd engine for and had a SBC Volvo back in high school out here in SoCal. I fly in to interview and that night at midnight we were out tuning his megasquirt laugh.gif

Broomfield was actually Kristi's first pick but I like the new-style houses (go figure - I want the nice place, K is happy with just about anything. I am one lucky bastard sometimes thumb3d.gif )

Lotsa outdoors stuff there too - need to get my ass back in shape (round is a shape tho' right??) and look forward to being in an area with that feel. Gonna have to get a new mountain bike and hit some trails...
Gint
Maybe I missed it voer the years on this site, but... got a first name? We're a friendly bunch.

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Dec 5 2006, 03:48 PM) *

cool... thanks for all the warm invites beerchug.gif I am going to have to fly out and look for a rental around Xmas tho' I need to start calling now. My fiancee and I want to live out there for a little bit and get to know all the areas around there before buying a house - then we can buy in the city that is most convenient to everything we want access to along with work.

Smart man.

Welcome to the nieghborhood! I work in Louisville and live in Thornton, about 12 miles east as the crow flies. You'll have lots of areas to chose from at reasonable prices especially after leaving California.
jhadler
Yup, gotta second the comments... There are a lot of great areas in and around the Boulder area. I work in Boudler, and live in Lyons. A great small town about 15 miles North of Boulder, but still in Boulder County (read: cheaper than Boulder, but higher property values than neighboring counties). We bought our house here over six years ago, and love it still. Small town with a real feel of community, and is tucked right into the mountains. There's a farm-y feel to pretty much anywhere you drive on the front range that isn't already developed. You'd be amazed at how close Kansas is... I have nice drive to work every day along the foothills, through ranch land and open space. I like it.

There are some great towns in the Boulder/Denver area. Some are real neighborhoods, and others are just fastgrowth suburban srawl bedroom communiites. It won't take long to find what fits for you.

-Josh2

byndbad914
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 5 2006, 03:33 PM) *

Maybe I missed it voer the years on this site, but... got a first name? We're a friendly bunch... I work in Louisville...
Beyond Bad 914 is my first name ... my mom had a vision... laugh.gif Or Tim for short.

I will be going to work for LM/CTI - which is Coherent Technologies that LockMartin bought about a year ago or so - and that is right off of that main hwy that runs from around Broomfield up passed Erie (287 I think??). Why Erie seems a bit appealing actually - 13 miles due west to Boulder and 9 miles due south to Louisville. Broomfield is still on our list tho' too for places to buy as it is about the same drive to either (little further from Boulder but not much).

CTI seems like a good bunch of guys I will be working with.

Oh yeah, Mountain914 - you need to come down from Conifer and show me that car of yours. I specifically remember seeing some pix of a yellow 914 that looked really nice - that was yours, right? IIRC yellow with flares, a big 6 and tan interior. Or maybe not, but I think that was yours. And gotta see Brant's car too - put mine beside his as a spectrum of 914 weight from lightweight to tank happy11.gif

edit - duh, now that I look at Mountain's avatar, that's the car!
jhadler
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Dec 5 2006, 04:12 PM) *

I will be going to work for LM/CTI - which is Coherent Technologies that LockMartin bought about a year ago or so - and that is right off of that main hwy that runs from around Broomfield up passed Erie (287 I think??).

I know a bunch of folks that work at CTI. Okay, I'm not sure if they're still there, but a bunch of the folks from ILX where I used to work went over to CTI after ILX imploded after the telcom bubble. So, who are you working with??

Why Erie seems a bit appealing actually - 13 miles due west to Boulder and 9 miles due south to Louisville. Broomfield is still on our list tho' too for places to buy as it is about the same drive to either (little further from Boulder but not much).

Yeah, Erie would be a really convinient location for work. I can't say I know Erie too well, Ferg would know it better. But you can definitely get a starter mansion out there for peanuts compared to California real estate. It does start getting pretty flat as you move east of the foothills though.

Broomfield puts you on 36 for the drive in and out of Boulder. Sometimes that's a good thing, other times, it's not. Oh, what am I saying! You're from SoCal, you'll think what we call bumper-to-bumper-traffic out here is a cakewalk compared to the insanity of the 405...

Oh yeah, can't wait to see that monster 914 you're building! You'll have to bring that beast out to some autox and TT events!

Oh, and get CO plates as soon as you can so we don't start cursing you for being a califonicator.... smile.gif

-Josh2
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Dec 5 2006, 04:28 PM) *
I know a bunch of folks that work at CTI. Okay, I'm not sure if they're still there, but a bunch of the folks from ILX where I used to work went over to CTI after ILX imploded after the telcom bubble. So, who are you working with??
Specifically I am going to work for a guy named Mike Browning doing mechanical analysis. They have two campuses and I will be at the one in the "Tech Center" off of Empire by the 287.
Oh yeah, can't wait to see that monster 914 you're building! You'll have to bring that beast out to some autox and TT events!
that car is too nuts for AX (does about 65 in first gear and nothing below about 30mph but bucking) but will definitely have to get to know all the road courses in the surrounding areas... not much in CO - that part I will miss the most - the convenience here in SoCal to two great road tracks Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.
Oh, and get CO plates as soon as you can so we don't start cursing you for being a califonicator.... smile.gif
I thought I would keep the plates so when I am lost and cut someone off they can just point at the plate and yell at the passengers "See! See what I mean! Fricken CA bastards!" poke.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Dec 5 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Specifically I am going to work for a guy named Mike Browning doing mechanical analysis. They have two campuses and I will be at the one in the "Tech Center" off of Empire by the 287.

Hmm, don't know many mechanical folks, mostly optical. Carefull when you say "tech center". The Denver Tech Center (what everyone around here refers to as the tech center or DTC) is in South Denver, a far cry away from Erie.

that car is too nuts for AX (does about 65 in first gear and nothing below about 30mph but bucking) but will definitely have to get to know all the road courses in the surrounding areas... not much in CO - that part I will miss the most - the convenience here in SoCal to two great road tracks Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.

Don't worry, there are a few track development plans in the works right now. Might be a couple years before a green flag, but there are good prospects for a few nice tracks in the Denver area in not too long a time.

I thought I would keep the plates so when I am lost and cut someone off they can just point at the plate and yell at the passengers "See! See what I mean! Fricken CA bastards!" poke.gif

If'n they don't wanna shoot ya ferst! biggrin.gif
(just kidding)

-Josh2
Gint
QUOTE(jhadler @ Dec 5 2006, 06:06 PM) *
Hmm, don't know many mechanical folks, mostly optical. Carefull when you say "tech center". The Denver Tech Center (what everyone around here refers to as the tech center or DTC) is in South Denver, a far cry away from Erie.

Tim's probably referring to the Colorado Tech Center (CTC) which is on dillon Road a mile or two west of 287. Closer to 96th. St. actually. That's about 2-3 miles north on 96th. of my work.
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Dec 5 2006, 05:06 PM) *
Yeah, I know about the big Tech Center in Denver. I think they call the little area off Empire Rd. the Louisville Tech Center or something like that. I had to laugh as compared to the DTC, it is definitely a far cry from a tech center, hence why I put it in quotes rolleyes.gif I remember driving out there for the interview, pulling onto tech center drive or whatever and looking around and thinking "this is a tech center?" hahahah. But the guys seemed pretty cool and I had to give a mock presentation so I had backup slides of my car - every question was about the car - to hell with my work history beerchug.gif so they seem like cool guys.
Brew
wavey.gif Hi Tim!! welcome.png
Mountain914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Dec 5 2006, 05:12 PM) *

Oh yeah, Mountain914 - you need to come down from Conifer and show me that car of yours. I specifically remember seeing some pix of a yellow 914 that looked really nice - that was yours, right? IIRC yellow with flares, a big 6 and tan interior. Or maybe not, but I think that was yours. And gotta see Brant's car too - put mine beside his as a spectrum of 914 weight from lightweight to tank happy11.gif

edit - duh, now that I look at Mountain's avatar, that's the car!

Yeah - I usually get down off the mountain, to ummm.. idea.gif Go for a drive in the mountains... blink.gif (fall run, usually). My car is tucked in for a long winters nap.
I can't wait to see the MBT-8 in person ! I am old school big block quarter miler drag racer, just living up the canyons made sports cars more "practical". You've got the best of all worlds ! smiley_notworthy.gif

If you need anything in advance... let us know !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.