Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help: Value of a 914-6 core motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RSWannabe
I could use a little help here. I'm relatively new to the 914 world, but am a long time Porsche 911 guy. I have a 1970 914-6 which is missing its original motor. I'm looking to find a factory 914-6 motor to put in my car and have come across a 1970 914-6 long block in parts a guy is willing to sell me. I know how I would value this if it were just a 1969 911T parts motor (911 equivalent of a 914-6 motor), but not sure what the extra rarity does to the valuation. It is missing intake and exhaust and a few of the original cylinders were damaged, so it also comes with a set of 2.2 pistons, cylinders, and heads (unknown if T, E, or S at this time). So what we are talking about here is a factory 914-6 case with a serial number in the vicinity of my car (judging only by sequentiality as I do not have a COA on my car yet) with some associated parts of unknown condition. If this were a '69 911 T case and the same parts I'd say its worth about $500. What does the 914-6 factor do to the equation. Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Brooke
sixnotfour
I think your estimation is correct, I have seen people want alot more for them , Dont know if they ever got it.
When you get the COA post it , there is a couple of those cases laying around.
your car came from Florida
Good Luck.
McMark
It's a very limited market (914-6 owners who care about original motors) so that means demand is low. But finding 914-6 motors can challenging. So supply is low. So I would think you are on the spot about price. $500 sounds fair.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RSWannabe @ Dec 5 2006, 08:45 PM) *

If this were a '69 911 T case and the same parts I'd say its worth about $500. What does the 914-6 factor do to the equation. Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

about the same ... i know guys who have given theirs away ...
smile.gif Andy
RSWannabe
Thanks for the input guys. Anyone else?

Brooke
Joe Bob
Why limit yourself to 110 hp?

Go with a nice rebuilt motor....I've had 2.0S motors up to a 3,2 in a 914.....180HP up to 270.....hp is FUN....
RSWannabe
Oh, I am not going to limit myself to stock power. I just want to have a stock case. I know its not the best case (in fact the stock 1R/2R case is the weakest Porsche ever made) for a hot rod, but I can work around that. In the meantime I'll put a 2.2S with MFI into it. For reference I have a 2.8 short stroke, twin plug, RSR Sprint cammed motor in my 911. I LIKE horsepower! I just happen to like short stroke, high compression, high revving motors.
davep
I'd say the advice given, and your own thoughts are spot on. I'd say the only extra value to one is to the car in which it was originally installed. Based on a vin and my database, I can guess the range of engine numbers you might look for. The COA would nail it of course.
Gint
Mark summed up my opinion very nicely. 2.2 pistons would also make a nice little power upgrade from stock. Not huge mind you, but nice. $500 sounds like a decent price.
Al Meredith
Look in the classified section, I think "racerbvd" has a 914-6 engine for sale now.
brp914
I'll be selling a longblock 914-6 engine in the near future. In car now. ~40k on total rbld. Excellent runner. It's not the orig in my -6. I also have the orig -6 engine from my car which I'm keeping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.