Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 with factory Webers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daniel
Hi All
I have a copy of Brian Long's 'Porsche 914 & 914/6 The Definitive History of the road & Competition Cars'. In this book it makes two mentions of a 1.8L 914 for the European market, fitted with the AN85 motor using 2x twin choke webers. Fitted between 1974-1975.

What I need to know is, firstly is this information correct? The only other factory carb references I can find are to Solex 40pdsit's. 2x single choke.
If this is correct, what model/size of webers were used and what other publication (or other?) can verify this.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Daniel
Aaron Cox
i have only heard of the solex's and the euro 1.8 had 2 SINGLE barrel bus carbs.....
Joe Bob
Fuel Injection or single barrel twin carbs like Aaron mentioned....

Aaron Cox
but what about the magical VW pn and logo weber/solex manifolds?

werent they the stipulation for running carbs on a 914 in SCCA?
Dave_Darling
Long's book, while nice, has quite a few errors in it. This is one of them...

I believe that SCCA requires dual two-throat carbs, with (no more than) a specific throat size. Webers, Solexes, or Dells (or whatever else you can find!), the brand supposedly does not matter.

--DD
Trekkor
I'm like a broken record over here... dry.gif

Was the cam different in a 1.8 F.I. compared to a dual Solex carbed motor?

Were there any differences in cam profile from 1.7-2.0, all flavors, for that matter?

I really need to know. confused24.gif

KT
Dave_Darling
Theoretically, all of the 914s used the same cam grind. Carb'ed or FI, 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0--all the same.

In fact, I am told, there were variations over the years. I believe it was the duration that changed slightly, as they moved the valve opening points around to work a little better with the various EFI incarnations. However, all the cams had the same part number and the later versions superceded the earlier ones in the supply.

If anyone has saved the URL for Hugo's (from the Netherlands) old website, we could check on archive.org for it. He had pictures and explanations of the different stock cams. (He also had a few "interesting" pics of his car with various guests...)

--DD
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 5 2006, 11:08 PM) *

Long's book, while nice, has quite a few errors in it. This is one of them...

I believe that SCCA requires dual two-throat carbs, with (no more than) a specific throat size. Webers, Solexes, or Dells (or whatever else you can find!), the brand supposedly does not matter.

--DD

Webers dellortos or solexes in 40mm butterfly sizes. F prod can have a 36mm venturi at maximum..

the AN coded 1.8 914 engine had a cam all it's own and the highest CR of any Type 4 ever factory built, no matter the size..

Those 1.8s have better power than a US spec 2.0/914! Not more power, but BETTER power!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.