Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which class is the most competetive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Brett W
I have a customer looking at running a 914-6 in something. He is looking at GT2, GT3, and EP. I laid out the numbers as to what is possible. Under production rules i doubt the 2.0-6 can make more than 220HP. Under GT3 rules, I doubt the 2.0 could make more than 230-240hp. With GT2 there is the option of a bigger engine or possibly a water cooled engine if he runs a restrictor. The problem with GT2 is the indefinite future. GT3 has its own issues, the competetion is making 265-280HP at close to 2180lbs. EP has some potential but it is still down in power from the competition. The honda prelude can make an an easy 240, the miatas are probaly close to that, same with the 240s. Now Eric proved the 914 can win in EP, but not necessarily through sheer power. More of driver skill and competitor attrition. Since the teener won a couple of years ago, SCCA probably wouldn't allow much more in "competetion improvement".
bam914
I would say EP. It would be the most competitive. EP would also have more cars to race against at a Regional or National event.
groot
Depends on what the customer wants to accomplish and what floats his boat. Does he want to run up front in the SCCA or is he just happy running killer lap times?

In GT2 he can shove a large flat six in and go like hell, but will probably never run up front at the Runoffs. GT3, I don't see the 914 as a viable option. EP, as a 6 cylinder, you know the story there... probably the best chance of running up front for a 6 cylinder 914.

There's a ton of other series that welcome the 914, as you know.
kart54
Brett,
I think it depends, as somebody else stated. on where your going to run the car. Regionals or nationals. In Cal Club here on the west coast he would probably do very well, if he's a decent driver in GT3. I'm running a 4 cylinder 1.7 with fuel injection and am turning lap times almost comparable to most of the GT3 competition when we run Buttonwillow or the Streets of Willow. The competition here consists of a couple of tubed RX-7's and a decent 240Z that has run GT3 for years with a driver named Lowell Preston. A few other cars show ocassionally but a 914-6 would run with or smoke this crowd. The only time they get away from me is at Big Willow with it's very long straights. On the tight twisty tracks I'm normally in the middle of them.
EP cars here are few and far between and I can't think of one that would be competition for the car your talking about.
Never been to Nationals but Mark Hotchkiss won EP in a 914 season before last and Eric Madsen and Chris Foley both competed. I understand they restricted the carb venturi's after that but since there were no 914's in the class this year it might be possible to appeal that and have the old size reinstated. I did that with a couple of items for the 914 in G production and was sucessful.
Good Luck
Randy
Car 54 Here I Am, 914
SCCA G prod Cal Club Champion 2006
Brett W
Actually Mark won FP and I was there when that happened. I am surprised there hasn't been a backlash against that car, but maybe everyone sees it as a fluke.

Yeah I will have to talk with him about what his competition goals are. In the Southeast there are several national record holders that run regionally, so EP and GT3 could be pretty heavily contested. But the Future of the GT classes is kinda in concern.
groot
Brett was there with us at the 2005 Runoffs.

There are some bad-ass EP cars out in So Cal. Dave Lemon and Bob Neal, to name a few. I don't think the EP fields are as deep in CSCC as they are in other areas, but they're not slow.
Thorshammer

If you are talking about sheer competitive placing of a car EP is a good place to be right now. I really think the 2.0 liter four can run with ANY of the top cars and I think the 2.0 six can be there on certain tracks. The key is thinking out of the box with an eye on doing it better. We've beat the HEwland thing to death and everyone knows where I stand on that one.

at 1870 the 2.0 has the right hp/lbs and while it is true the Prelude is fast, I think a better HP figure would be 255 +. As for the Rotaries, think 245+. But remember they weigh 300 more than a 914 does.

If you pay close attention to the factors that affect performance drag. weight. handling/ I think EP would be the best selection. GT 2 maybe but it would take a really special car, such as Roger Sheridans. And I think Gt-3 is a complete waste of time. no way to be competitive against the toyotas and nissans.

Good luck,

As always any questions answered,

Erik
theshartrucegoose
i know this probobly is not what you are looking for but has your customer bought his car already? if not why does he want to run a 914? i understand the reasoning if he wants to "go fast with a fun car". but for a cheaper price he can "go fast" but in a slower car. i would say go Showroom stock C or B but thts just my opinion. my dad owned a 356 speedster that was a specially made to race i think for miles collier but then that got to expensive so he bought a i think GTI and raced that. now he has been racing a neon in ssc but it got too old now he is going to rce in itc or buy a mini S and race again. i think that would be the smart thing to do...buy a mini S and start dominating the class. i know the person to buy a mini from if he would like to buy one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.