Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Muffler Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Sometime back, there were some opinions posted on mufflers for V8 applications, but I suspect they are buried in some thread that a search didn't readily reveal.

I really like the idea of the dual inlet/dual outlet muffler such as used in '80's(?) Camaro's, but since my 6 speed transaxle is longer than the 901, that is not an option (no room). This basically leaves me with using two shorter type mufflers. There are several mufflers available that are 18" long oval types (22" pipe to pipe), but which is the best for the money? I don't want loud, but rather a nice performance sound; though not much muffling can happen at 18". Motor is an LS1 with Z06 headers, 2 1/2" pipes.

Opinions??

Thanks,

Andys
boxstr
I was in an exhaust shop the other day and I was asking the same questions.
I have a 5 speed gearbox in JLO. I wanted to go with a single dual in and dual out. Maganflow makes a shorter one, 14" with internal x over dual in dual out. That might not work for you??
I have had magnaflow on other V8s, they always seem to have a really good sound. They make enough different configurations that you can almost get what ever sound you want, throaty, raspy, loud or low and rumbly.
The pic shows a dual muffler setup with the dual outlet in the middle ala Boxster.
CCLINMAGNAMARIO
andys
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 6 2006, 09:30 AM) *

I was in an exhaust shop the other day and I was asking the same questions.
I have a 5 speed gearbox in JLO. I wanted to go with a single dual in and dual out. Maganflow makes a shorter one, 14" with internal x over dual in dual out. That might not work for you??
I have had magnaflow on other V8s, they always seem to have a really good sound. They make enough different configurations that you can almost get what ever sound you want, throaty, raspy, loud or low and rumbly.
The pic shows a dual muffler setup with the dual outlet in the middle ala Boxster.
CCLINMAGNAMARIO

I have no room behind the transaxle for a single, dual in/dual out type.

That's my question, specifically which (if you can recall) Magnaflow gives which sound? They list quite a few.

Andys
byndbad914
Check out the Dynomax Ultra Flos. They probably have the best flowing mufflers out there right now and they are probably $65-$85 each. Summit Racing should have something.

I have the 3.5" in/outs for my crazy setup since the sprint car headers were 3.5" collectors and I just slip them right over it. Even at 3.5" it is amazing how much it reduces the noise from open headers - way more than I thought - but don't get me wrong that my car is very loud.

However, a buddy has a 347cube SBF in his 68 Mustang with the 2.5 in/out Ultra Flo mufflers and I think it sounds great - burly sounding without being raspy like Flow Disasters.

I have no idea what that header you have looks like, but I say run the exhaust under the axles. My headers actually don't hit the axles on droop as I have limiting straps (IMO everyone should make some sort of limiting straps for the rear anyway so when they raise it they don't lock the CVs to hold the rear susp), and the mufflers have the outlets right where I need to trim the rear valence, so it looks nice IMO. Up to you how you want to handle that but it may make fitting the 19" overall length a bit easier.
Andyrew
Magnaflows give the best sound I have heard yet... Currently have them on my car.. Check my vids.
Andyrew
most mangalfows ovals are straight through with one bend (one side of the muff to the other) with fiberglass packing.. They all sound pretty much the same (minous the race series... dont know abou those).

Go to magnaflow.com...

BTW.. headers to magnaflows will be way to loud for the street.. (trust me)

Andrew
Mike T
I had 2.5" Summit Turbo mufflers on my car. It's an otherwise stock 305 with Performer RPM intake and Cam.

Too quiet! People complained it didn't sound like a race car out on course so I put on Summit Race Bullet mufflers again 2.5". Sound nice, light and cheap.

I'm wondering if they would get louder with, say, a high compression 327?

Mike T
turboman808
magnaflo tru-x aren't that loud. Could give them a try. Wait may not work like you said
drive-ability
I absolutely love my Ferrari 575 mufflers, they provide me a choice of a quiet sound or a deep roar. They are thick and do complicate the use / choices of the rear valence but for me it's the perfect solution. I can switch on a quiet tone or a deep loud roar.

IPB Image

IPB Image
JB 914
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Dec 6 2006, 05:30 PM) *

I absolutely love my Ferrari 575 mufflers, they provide me a choice of a quiet sound or a deep roar. They are thick and do complicate the use / choices of the rear valence but for me it's the perfect solution. I can switch on a quiet tone or a deep loud roar.

IPB Image

IPB Image

how much did those Ferrari mufflers set you back?

i'm trying to decide on my exaust for the 327
Dr. Roger
craigslist used C4 Vette mufflers shortened to fit. about $30 bor both of them. =-)

listen to them at the link in my signature. turn up the volume. enjoy. happy11.gif
ro go here http://home.comcast.net/~rogergrubb/newexhaustsystem.wmv

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.