Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tapping into a tach or injector signal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
My Traqmate data acquisition has inputs for digital and analog signals. One of the things I want to do is hook up the RPM feature to see where I'm taching out around the track. The unit instructions say take the tach signal or an injector pulse and run a 20 gauge wire or smaller to the unit.

Where is a good place to tap into either of these signals? And what is the preferred method for the tap or splice? The last thing I want is an electrical issue.

Car is a stock '97 2.5L Boxster.

Thanks,

Bill P.
race914
Hi Bill,

I used the tach signal on my Electromotive box. Also talked with Glenn at TraqMate and he said a wire from my factory tach would work too. I guess the new 'traqtach' adapters work with either a 5v or 12v signal.

You may want to see if there is any Boxster info on the TraqMate forum. I did see some good info on a Mazda install using a MSD adapter.

Did you overlay any of the TraqMate data onto your videos yet? I love that feature biggrin.gif

Greg
nine14cats
QUOTE(race914 @ Dec 6 2006, 11:24 AM) *

Hi Bill,

I used the tach signal on my Electromotive box. Also talked with Glenn at TraqMate and he said a wire from my factory tach would work too. I guess the new 'traqtach' adapters work with either a 5v or 12v signal.

You may want to see if there is any Boxster info on the TraqMate forum. I did see some good info on a Mazda install using a MSD adapter.

Did you overlay any of the TraqMate data onto your videos yet? I love that feature biggrin.gif

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info. I'll poke around to see what I can do. The harness in a Boxster going to the instrument cluster is about an inch thick, so I'll need to find a schematic in order to tell what wire I can tap. Is a splice connector okay? Or should I terminate it at the input to the cluster itself?

I haven't tried the video feature yet but I'll be getting 2 days of vids and data this weekend.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Bill,

Use the wire at the back of the dash..

I forgot you still didnt have the Boxster factory .pdf manuals.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 6 2006, 02:31 PM) *

Bill,

Use the wire at the back of the dash..

I forgot you still didnt have the Boxster factory .pdf manuals.

B

B,

I pulled the gauge cluster last night looking for a wire. I found a thick loom of wire going to the tach quick "latch" connector. There isn't much room up there to tap into, it seems like it would be better to follow the loom back a ways and get into it somwhere away from the cluster.

That's why I'll need to get a wiring schematic. And do I just use a sandwich splice into the line? I don't want to cut through a wire by mistake.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I tapped in right at the dash for the shift light..

You can use the stupid "trailer" wiring blue crimp together connector and tee off of it.

I'm trying to find the Boxster manuels online for you right now.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 6 2006, 02:45 PM) *

I tapped in right at the dash for the shift light..

You can use the stupid "trailer" wiring blue crimp together connector and tee off of it.

I'm trying to find the Boxster manuels online for you right now.

B

Got an pic of the splice into the tach on the Boxster?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Maybe..

I found the Boxster .pdf on the Mindover server

Hang on.

B
Brad Roberts
Call me Bill, I'll give you the ftp password for MOM and walk you through the download.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.