Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How far will you drive...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Mike T
I am lucky enough to have 5 SCCA regions hold events within <100 mile radius of my house. I will pass up an event 15 miles away at my home region and drive 75 miles just to find some tough competition. Anyone else do that?

Mike T
J P Stein
I've driven to:
One way...
Packwood.....125 mi
Bremerton....160 mi
Mather Field.....700 mi.(give or take)
We have one local venue.....5 mi biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 6 2006, 04:40 PM) *

I've driven to:
One way...
Packwood.....125 mi
Bremerton....160 mi
Mather Field.....700 mi.(give or take)
We have one local venue.....5 mi biggrin.gif

Longest for me was Reno - 250miles, but when my car is back running I'm going to go down and run with Brad and company.
Joe Ricard
Closest New Orleans 125 miles
Baton Rouge 186 miles
Dothan Al. 288 miles
Grenada Ms. 325 miles
Columbus Ms. 330 miles

Yes I drive to EVERY event. all 20 of them this year.
Brad Roberts
Damn.

You are more dedicated than I ever thought!!

SanJose to Reno 250mi
San Jose to Fresno 225mi
San Diego to El Toro 70mi
San Diego to CA Speedway 70mi

Qualcomeapart is 5 mi. from my apartment. This is where SCCA and PCA hold events throughout the year. The parking lot is big enough that both sanctioning bodies can hold events and you would never know they are on the other side of the stadium. Each group flips back and forth throughout the year from one side to another.

B
914forme
15 miles into Fairborn.
30 miles down to Xenia
52 Miles to Cincinnati
54 Miles to Columbus
156 to SouthBend

I am lucky and have about 20 venues I can run within 100 miles, but Southbend group holds a good auto-x, I don't have enough times to make it to all of them.
URY914
Z-hills is 18 miles biggrin.gif
Brookesville is about 40 miles smile.gif
Fort Myers is about 120 miles sad.gif
Gainsvilles is 150 miles mad.gif

When I win the lottery I'll build a multi purpose site. beer.gif
Mike T
Concrete or asphalt? Which do you like best?

Best site I get to go to is Seneca Army Depot. A big asphalt runway 1.5+ miles long and a couple hundred feet wide. "Only" 70miles away too.

2 different regions have thier events there. Fingerlakes region and Glen Region SCCA.

There is also a go kart track in Lafayette, NY that is fun to run on. Lots of elevation changes. Sort of a small road course.

Mike T
Mike T
Here is a Google Video I found of Seneca Army Depot. Somebody in an STS Subaru. You can get an idea of how big the site is.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...ot%22&hl=en

Mike T
TimT
I just drove 32 hours round trip to race at Roebling Road. (I think 1800 miles?)

Next stop Sebring

SirAndy
i win! biggrin.gif

Oakland, CA -> Hot Springs, AR = 1928.98 miles

trailered lyressa's silver 914, drove it at the AX and won my class ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: they *still* owe me the trophy ... rolleyes.gif

Trekkor
I drive:

45 mins to Santa Rosa
45 mins to Alameda
2.5 hours to Marina
4 hours to Reno

This one time, I drove from Redding to Napa, got my car and went to Marina for an a/x while I was on vacation at Whiskeytown lake.

Driving 15 hours round trip for 15 minutes seat time...priceless biggrin.gif

KT
jd74914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2006, 12:52 AM) *

i win! biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Why's your map go to Kansas? blink.gif
mskala
Everything around here is at the same site, 50 miles from me. I did one 120 miles away once in CT (because they had event 1 month earlier in the season than others), but site is poor and won't be doin that again.
914forme
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 8 2006, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2006, 12:52 AM) *

i win! biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

The " Ar " is covered up, making it kanass, Andy went to the correct place, but that might explain why he never got his trophy av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 8 2006, 08:25 AM) *

i thought it showed Ar-Kansas ?!? but what do i know about amurican geography ... Hot Springs, Arkansas is where we drove to ...

is it not showing Arkansas?
confused24.gif Andy

PS: this one has me puzzled, anyone here can please explain why Ar-Kansas is *not* pronounced the same as Kansas, just with an Ar in front?
where the hell do they get "Arknsaw" from? confused24.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2006, 10:12 AM) *

i thought it showed Ar-Kansas ?!? but what do i know about amurican geography ... Hot Springs, Arkansas is where we drove to ...

confused24.gif Andy

PS: this one has me puzzled, anyone here can please explain why Ar-Kansas is *not* pronounced the same as Kansas, just with an Ar in front?

Davy Crockett named it biggrin.gif
chilli
30 to Stockton or local that is all.
mike
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 8 2006, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2006, 10:12 AM) *

confused24.gif Andy

Davy Crockett named it biggrin.gif

Found this:

The state name Arkansas ultimately derives from the name of an Siouan people who lived in the valley of the Arkansas River. The area was first settled by the French, who usually used the spelling Arkansa to refer to the tribe and to the village in which they lived. They used the plural, Arkansas, to refer to members of the tribe.

The French used the name in the plural to refer to the Arkansas River--la rivière des Arkansas, "the river of the Arkansas"--and the name Arkansas was then applied to the territory, and, eventually, to the state.

After the region was de-Frenched in the early nineteenth century, the pronunciation remained the French one--or, rather, an Anglicized version of the French one--which would be something like "Arkansaw." In fact, the Arkansaw spelling is the one used on the Act that created the territory. But in the end, the original Arkansas spelling is the one that prevailed, but it did so with an Anglicized version of the French pronunciation.

By the way, the state of Kansas, also named by the French for an Indian people and with the -s representing a French plural, dropped the French pronunciation entirely and adopted an English pronunciation based on the Kansas spelling, which is why the pronunciation of Kansas and Arkansas differ.

....so guess if you live in Arkansas you gots culture.
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 8 2006, 12:06 PM) *

....so guess if you live in Arkansas you gots culture.

thank you sir! smiley_notworthy.gif

that explains a lot ....
biggrin.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
I forgot we ran an autocross at that event in Arkansas!!!

The one time Andy beat me..LOL

I was driving the same car but let Andy and Lyressa drive it first for their runs. When I went to drive it.. the head temp sensor wire kept losing contact in hard left hand turns.. then it would die with too much fuel and I coasted 3/4 of the track.lol

Those where the days.

B
Mike T
[color=#FF0000]That looks like a record for a one time trip for sure.

I'm surprised that so many of you travel 100+ miles to AX. I figured in CA with it's car culture there would be an AX around every corner.

or...

Do you skip the everyday ordinary events to travel to the ones with real competition?

Mike T

sww914
0 miles. I don't like autocrosses, I like tracks.
But I do drive 30 miles every year to volunteer at our local PCA autocross, I just don't take my racecar.
DNHunt
I drive to Portland about 160 miles to run with JP and the gang. The distance isn't so bad it's the 4:30 AM depature that's the killer.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.