914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
onrails
i have attended a few PCA races in the past
month or so.
and i've noticed that there are no boxters out
on road tracks. why is this?
being the only thing close to a 914 in 20 some years,
i thought it might do well.
what's the scoop?does it not measure up?

confused24.gif

BRIAN
machina
There are at least 2 racing down here in south florida, but mostly with PBOC. They do pretty well in their class but I think the S is less competitive in its class.

In stock trim they can get pretty heavy. After the cage and mandatory hardtop are installed.

I have seen a GT class boxster that was way radical. Full tube frame, fg bodywork, crazy motor. Don't know how it did though.

I will look for that picture.

dr
machina
here is the GT2
machina
here is the stock class boxster...
machina
and here is another GT class boxster with 914. smilie_flagge24.gif
onrails
way cool bxtr!
are they keeping up in the corners?
p.s. attached image means absolutely nothing!
i just thought it was funny.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BRIAN
boxsterfan
I have a 2002 Boxster that I drive on the street. It is a great handling car. It feels like a go cart when driving around. It is "on rails" if you will. Weight distribution is 49/51 I believe.

I wish it had more HP, but in the twisties it is a great handling machine.
boxstr
I took my 99 Boxster out on the track this weekend. WOW, it was "onrails", I am goin gto get extra wheels and some stiky tires for next year, racing is pretty much over for this year.
I was hitting 130 on the front and back straights and passing other Boxsters. although I was passed by a couple of turbo Porsches.
I can really see where this could be a much more competitive car if someone got inthere and removed alot of dead weight.
Checking the local Autotrader today 1997 Boxster $17500. Maybe worth a look see.
CCLINCAMP986
Scott Carlberg
Isn't there a reason that Porsche is NOT racing the Boxster?

wasn't there a problem with Oil pickup, especially during hard cornering?
Aaron Cox
sounds like it needs a tuna can laugh.gif
scotty
and forced-air induction. Power. Too much of a good thing is never enough.
East coaster
I have a '99 Boxster and it does handle sweet! To me, it really feels like a "new" 914 or what a 914 would feel like if developement had continued. That said, it's not a 914. It's heavier, more cushy, and has alot of automatic doo dads. I like it alot and use it for my daily driver, but it has also made me appreciate the 914 for what it is, simple, light, unique and a damn nice 34 year old design.
Mueller
Isn't there a reason that Porsche is NOT racing the Boxster?
wasn't there a problem with Oil pickup, especially during hard cornering?

Scott, are you serious about your first question?? smile.gif

The main reason Porsche does not race the Boxster is the same reason Porsche did not seriously race the 914 or (heck, even the 928).........

It could beat (not always of course) the 996 and 911's and the Porsche factory cannot have thier other models beat the flagship model and superstar of the company....911/996

as for the oil problem, I've only seen this problem for the 996's...maybe it is due to the engine being backwards........ smash.gif
Scott Carlberg
actually the first sentence was a set-up for the 2nd sentence.

I think it was Rob King from S-Car-Go, while working on a 996-powered Boxster at Laguna
who told me why the Boxster wasn't a great racecar. (the oil issue)
campbellcj
Here is another one, that was at the German Autofest in 2001. I think there was a Vision car there this year too, but I didn't get any pics.

I have not seen ANY seriously race-prepped Boxsters at the track here in SoCal. I don't exactly know why, and would love to play with one if money & time & space permitted.

Scott Carlberg
The Vision Boxster didn't move out of their pits this year at Willow Springs, during the
Tribute to LeMans event.
seanery
Boxsterracing.org
from chris's picture above.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Nov 14 2003, 10:56 PM)
The Vision Boxster didn't move out of their pits this year at Willow Springs, during the
Tribute to LeMans event.

Yep, good point. I helped to tech the cars and I don't think they had any race-ready cars a few hours before the 4-hour enduro. They fielded a single 911...IIRC the Boxster didn't move the whole time I was there (2 days).
dbelleperc
Yes oil is a problem with the 996 and 986-Bo"X"ster, that is why the 996 Turbo, GT3's and GT2's engine is based on the original air-cooled 3.6 liter 964 engine, trust me look at the engine serial numbers. The 986 Boxster in the pictures above is really set up for the track, 3.4L 996 engine, Turbo brakes, suspension and everything else. But back to the oil, it is a dry-sump system where in high "G" corners the engine is starved of oil and starts burning oil. Funny that the "real" Porsche engines are still basied on the 2.0 liter 911 engine. Go Figure. clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.