Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott-thundercat
any help out there!. My PO said the reason he parked this car in 89 was cause his mechanic said the reason his Fuel injection wasnt working was cause the distributor was leaking oil into the FI trigger points assembly and making it unhappy... anyhow i've gone through a bunch on the car and finally fixed the stuck injectors (with VW black ones) anyhow car started up and ran great. let it idle for about 2 minutes and it started kinda hestitating... i jumped in, stepped on the gas a little, it revved slowly and then slowly revved less and less till it just died... wouldnt restart for about 10 minutes (even flooring it in case it was flooded). this happened to me when i test drove it too... drove great for a while and slowly just died....

anyhow, i changed the points and condensor recently and set the dwell... couldnt see down below to the FI points so i didnt know what to look for anyways. could this really be oil leaking into the FI points and masking the signal? (which to me would make sense that it takes a while for the oil to seep in when it's running and then maybe leaks out when it sits...)

also just adjusted the valves when i replaced a leaky valve cover gasket- P-side was close, D side was .018!!!! inches.

any advice on what to look for? should i just get a new dizzy or can i rebuild/ reseal this one?

Scott

thanks in advance.

after i solve this problem this car should be good to go- when i drove it around it drove great. for some reason the headlights just turned on the other day too (before they would popup but not turn on...)
McMark
I have some thoughts on this..... but I'm not the Cap'n. dry.gif
Dr Evil
I'm not him, but I do wonder if the flow rate on the injectors you put in was adequate for your engine. You may have just run your engine really lean or rich.

Also, it seems as if it dies when somewhat warmed up. Have you checke dthe rest of the system like the AAR, CHT, etc?
Scott-thundercat
alright changed the title- all help welcome? i have not checked. the injectors flow a little more than mine do.... how do i check the CHT and AAR?
McMark
Sounds like your fuel filter is clogged or your tank has crap (rust) in the bottom of it. The pump can't suck fuel fast enough to support the engine. So your car runs fine for awhile and then gets leaner and leaner until combustion is no longer possible. Removing and cleaning the tank is a VERY important part of keeping these cars running right. wink.gif
Scott-thundercat
hmm i'll check that. as a matter of fact, i think i remember seeing crap in the fuel filter (which i changed- but didnt flush tank).... i'll change that and see how it does.... any merit to the PO's mechanics story?
TravisNeff
How old is that gas in the tank?
Scott-thundercat
brand new gas, tank was empty when bought.
Scott-thundercat
okay replaced the fuel filter, drove it around a little, wow way good acceleration compared to what i was expecting! after a few minutes though the car started not doing well when i was on the gas... then it got to the point it would drive if i was just barely on the gas... when i stepped on it all the way it would just stop firing... then i'd let off and it'd pick up again.... huh? could it be the little hose to the MPS is blocked or something? this was very wierd... but boy was it fun for 2 minutes!
Allan
I saw this thread in it's early beginnings and thought it seemed like a fuel issue.

Have you checked the screen in the tank?

When I pulled my tank to have it cleaned it had about a pound of rust silt in the bottom...
SLITS
Ok, I'm not the Cap'n, but I am krusty as hell.

The dizzy is sealed in it's bore by one "O" ring. If it were bad, oil would be around the base of the dizzy under the clamp.

If one of the bushings that the dizzy shaft were very worn out, I can see where oil could possibly fill the bottom of the dizzy (where the tirgger points are). Hey, it's common on Jeeps, but I digress. If the trigger points were submerged in oil, they wouldn't fire at all....no start, no run. This does not sound like your problem.

Your problem is:

1.) Clogged or pinched suction line to the pump (that includes the filter)

2.) Fuel pump is taking a crap.

3.) Blocked return/bad pressure regulator over-riding the injectors and flooding the engine (Do you smell fuel when it quits or you are cranking and/or did you even check the system pressure? A car will start and run if the pressure is to low but will eventually die.)

4.) Fuel tank vent (cap) is sealing to well and as you pull fuel it creates a vacuum and stalls the fuel delivery.

5.) The AAR only adds additional air and if stuck in the open position would cause a high idle.

6.) The CHT is critical to running. If they are bad, the car won't usually start and run for any length of time. To check it you would have to go to PBanders site and get the values (ohms) that it is supposed to have a various temperatures.

Ok ...... that's my $25.00 worth. biggrin.gif

Next

PS .... 7.) A plugged muffler will cause the conditions you describe too!

That'll be an extra $5.00 on that one.
messix
my thoughts. could be a bad coil. gets hot and stops working till cools off.
McMark
Duh, SLITS is right. Check the rubber fuel lines under the fuel tank. They can be kinked.
Elliot_Cannon
Hoooweee!! Boy, at ole Slits is a smart sumbich ain't he? pray.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 7 2006, 02:30 PM) *

Sounds like your fuel filter is clogged or your tank has crap (rust) in the bottom of it.

agree.gif
I had that exact issue with my car. The PO put a carb on it and used the return line as the feed. The fuel line clogged with rust junk from the tank and the car would run fine then just die out. Wait a minute or so, started right back up and drove for 30 sec - 1 minute, then die out slowly.

My tank was full of crunchies. When first looking into the fuel pick up issue, I used a stick to check for fuel in tank and I could feel the junk at the bottom of the tank. Removed, cleaned and sealed the tank. No problems since then.

Spoke
Garland
QUOTE(Scott-thundercat @ Dec 7 2006, 08:00 PM) *

okay replaced the fuel filter, drove it around a little, wow way good acceleration compared to what i was expecting! after a few minutes though the car started not doing well when i was on the gas... then it got to the point it would drive if i was just barely on the gas... when i stepped on it all the way it would just stop firing... then i'd let off and it'd pick up again.... huh? could it be the little hose to the MPS is blocked or something? this was very wierd... but boy was it fun for 2 minutes!

This is what happen to me. It may be the answer.

Link to post.
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2006, 12:50 AM) *

Duh, SLITS is right. Check the rubber fuel lines under the fuel tank. They can be kinked.

The easiest way to find out if the problem in at the tank or kinked lines under the tank, etc... is to pull the supply and return lines at the firewall under the motor and run some fuel line from them to a nice clean can of fresh gas. Start the car and see if it runs longer than 2 minutes. If it does, then you can start chasing a fuel problem related to the tank/lines forward of the engine compartment.

You can also check the fuel pressure with the car running. Both when first started and when it's about to quit on you.

I agree about the oiling if the trigger points. Not very likely at all.
Scott-thundercat
thank you all for responding. yeah i pulled the tank today- lots and lots of crunchies in it, i pressure washed the inside for 4 minutes or so and sloshed it about and emptied it, still some in there but dont look to be any loose ones anymore... anyhow same problem today- none of the fuel lines looked pinched under the tank. although i did fix the fuel sender- it's working now! yay! but today it started i drove it for 30 seconds it died and wouldnt restart (although when i looked at the filter i saw some seperation by density- guessing i didnt get all the water out and it might be keeping it from firing... so i'll drain some of it tomorow and put another filter on it and see what happens.... if it still has issues i might just get a used fuel tank if i can find one for cheap. i think it would cost more to have this one hot tanked but im not sure yet... ahhhhh one thing after another. one day it will be able to be driven!

thanks for all the input guys.
StratPlayer
Take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it out. Then maybe you could use something like this to renew the tank.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Auto-Fuel-...Bid1PmXJox5jddu
Dr Evil
Scott, ya need to slow down. You should not have rehooked the tank up in that condition.

Here is what I did and it worked great:
1) Get a bunch of old bolts, nuts, etc and drop them into your tank (remove tank, empty tank and tape over extra holes first)
2) Roll that stuff around for a while making sure to hit each side.
3) Dump all of the crap out and repeat until no loose stuff is left
4) Get a good gas tank sealant like the stuff POR-15 sells adn follow the instructions to the letter. (washthe solvent out more than they tell you for good measure).

5) Be happy

Scott-thundercat
sounds like a plan Dr Evil... i'll try it maybe tommorow.

Scott
Dr Evil
Oh ya, dont forget to remove the sender thumb3d.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.