Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Owned your 914 for 20 years or more?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Just curious here. Know lots of long-term 914 owners who SAY they'd never part with the car. What would it REALLY take? We all have our prices & limitations. Would you ever part with your "child"? If you've owned for 20 years or more, you obviously have a strong attachment.

Would you ever consider ridding yourself of it?
914werke
Anything can be had ....for a price happy11.gif
Owned my 1971 914-4 for 30years,Got it when I was in high school,Worked hard saved up and bought it.I was the only kid that daddy didnt buy the car..
Well it has 87K orginal miles and mint condition,Its sort of a time capsul of my past.The 914 is priceless to me.It taught me a lesson in life to save the money for this car.
So.Cal.914
What would it take to pry it from your hands?

After 25 years....Dynamite.
VegasRacer
Hey Pat - I saw your thread the other day about it getting hard for you to work on your car. Now this?! You're not thinking of doing something you know you'll regret, are you? slap.gif

I can't imagine living without a teener in my garage. And you've owned the same one for how long? No fuchin' way should you ever sell it. Period.

Dr. Evil had a great idea. Have a BBQ. Let the young strong backs crawl on the ground.
I bet you could teach them a thing or two and never have to get your hands dirty.
EdwardBlume
I've had my 914 for 30 years. I wouldn't trade it for a Carrera GT, but I'd off it in a second if I had to for my family.... hopefully that will never happen...
TheCabinetmaker
death or taxes!!!!!
URY914
I'm coming up on 28 years in the spring. My daughter wants to a/x it when she's old enough. Don't see me selling it anytime soon.
shelby/914
Not a 914, but owned a GT-350 coming up on 28 years. Death, Medical Bills, hopefully not taxes or the last kids tuition bills. Definately not $$$$$$$$$$$ or it would already be history.
John
$25,000.00

Nuff said, but it's really not for sale.
GeorgeRud
This upcoming February will be 30 years for me on my 914-6. Can't think of anything that would make me part with it, it will be passed down to the kids.

Since I have two kids, I had to get another 914 about 15 years ago. The fact that it's been converted to six, flared, etc. only makes me think that my son may like this one better, keep the original -6 for my daughter.

Now, if I can only find a nice clean, nonsunroof 993 with tiptronic, I'll have something to drive on a more frequent basis. 55 year old knees keep the 914s weekend warriors these days!
Ferg
Cash talks...

Oh wait, you said 20 Years, not 20 DAYS rolleyes.gif My bad.

Ferg chairfall.gif
Scott S
I just realised I have had my car for 15 years - holy cr@p.

I would trade mine in a second for comparable condition 911sc, a Boxster (even a 1997), a speedster replica - or Fergs orange car (as it is a perfect knock off of the 6 my dad drove back when I was a kid)

Dont get me wrong - I love our little cars. I still catch myself just looking at mine in the garage once in a while. I am just one of those folks that like to re-arrainge the furniture once in a while - not like Ferg or anything though!!!!!!

15 YEARS - I really cant beleive that..... ugh... I am getting old.
TJB/914
First decent realistic offer popcorn[1].gif , cause I like the trip(auto-trans) Boxter's. So much easier to take it to a dealer than laying on the ground to fix things.

Tom
pbanders
I bought mine in late '83, so I've only had it 23 years. Once I figure out how everything in the FI system actually works, and can get it tuned the way I want it to perform, then I'll get rid of it. I figure that'll take another 23 years at a minimum.
70Sixter
I've had mine for almost 31 years. I know if I sold it the value would skyrocket in 6 months. Like the condo we sold a few years ago.
dflesburg
silly question. I haven't driven the damn thing in 14 years... How the hell should I know?
grantsfo
I have almost sold my 914 25 times.
chilli
Let's see bought mine new in 73 so been around the various homes for 33/34 years. Going to my daughter when I am done with it.

mike :-)
redshift
A PHONE CALL AND A WRECKER

L M F A O!

Love ya'll!

M
black73
I was going to sell mine a couple of years ago, but found out my asking price was about two times what it was worth. wacko.gif
So i decided to keep it and I am SO glad I did. I've enjoyed it more since then than I had the entire 20 years prior to that. driving.gif
jim_hoyland
Bought in 1982, had a -6 for several years in the '80s, kep the -4. Been a daily driver for many of those years. Been considering replacing with a Boxster.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Dec 8 2006, 04:26 AM) *

Hey Pat - I saw your thread the other day about it getting hard for you to work on your car. Now this?! You're not thinking of doing something you know you'll regret, are you? slap.gif

I can't imagine living without a teener in my garage. And you've owned the same one for how long? No fuchin' way should you ever sell it. Period.

Dr. Evil had a great idea. Have a BBQ. Let the young strong backs crawl on the ground.
I bet you could teach them a thing or two and never have to get your hands dirty.

You're right - I can't imagine being without one either. Had mine for almost 35 years. I used to believe I would NEVER part with it while alive. But, being realistic - so long as I can crawl in & push the clutch. I'll keep it. When I need a drool bucket on my chin & diapers.....that may be time to part with it. Howvwer, I'm a long way from that & anticipate another 914 fairly soon. Just bummed about the lack of flexibility!

So long as I can do it myself, I will. Then, the good Dr. Evil (who complimented me so eloquently - "catankerous...PITA") and all the others who offered help, will be called upon. Won't give it up so easily, and the back gets a tiny bit better each day. It's just not ready for 40 degree concrete floors. beer.gif
Joe Owensby
Bought mine new in 1973, about 33 1/2 years ago. I screwed up and let it sit outside and rust, and am now restoring it. If it weren't for the fact that I had it so long, I would have sold it, but now after a lot of restoration, I think it would take quite a lot of $ for me to sell it. I plan to drive it daily until it dies, gets wrecked, or I get too old to get in and out of it. Joe O.
ClayPerrine
The only way I am ever parting with my 914 is for the executor of my estate to sell it after I am dead.

I made the mistake of selling my first car (my 1969 Firebird) and I won't make it again.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 7 2006, 07:08 PM) *

Would you ever consider ridding yourself of it?

Pat, you're kidding, right? Sell my 914? And do what with the $2000? Watch it compound interest in a CD, or buy some penny stocks with the money dry.gif
sean_v8_914
...a bullit in teh head

although I have not owned the car for that long, I have owned the dream longer
Andyrew
Its been almost 5... I worked hard for it.. worked hard for the parts on it.. I would trade it for a open wheeled race car (that could be street legal) and a audi a4... Soo.. like 20k..

flesburg
Click to view attachmentI bought mine new in January of 1974, after drooling over them for three or four years while I saved up the money to buy one. Since then, have spent countless money on it (3.2 engine, 915 trans with quaife, 930 front end, etc etc) flairs, 9x16 wheels etc. Maybe have $40K invested, lets see...........

At 6% per year if I had saved the cash I would have maybe $75K. Could barely buy a new CaymenS.

Would i trade even for one? I would have to think about it. Maybe, maybe not.
brant
bought mine in 1985... so only around 21 years.

its was slowly over 10 years converted into a race car and became a trailer queen for a while...

then again over about a 2 year period it was converted back into a street car

it aint worth much.. can't see getting rid of it.
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.