Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Clutch and lightened flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Wow what a difference! Went from a stock 17lbs flywheel to a 9.5lbs Wes Hildreth special.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but the whole car just seems......... lighter and much more responsive to throttle. Anyone considering a lighten flywheel....I strongly suggest you go for it.

beer.gif
Trekkor
I run a light fly/pressure plate...Awesome!!

KT
Mueller
have you stalled the car due to the lightness of the assembly?

what about when you push in the clutch, does the motor want to die??

EdwardBlume
How does the clutch "grab" with the lightened flywheel? Is it that much different?
So.Cal.914
I have run a lightened fly for about 10 years and it has never died from just

pushing in the clutch. If you run a stock muffler and intake and you can't hear

the engine maybe you could stall it.
Loser_Cruiser
I wanna see what it looks like. Did you have your original lightened? or did you buy it from a source?
jwalters
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jr91472
Sorry but I took no pics before install sad.gif

I had heard of the "stalling" problem before, but have not experienced it at all. Not even close. The clutch does does seem to "grab" much quicker or crisper than before. But that only took me about 10min of getting use to.

I actually won this flywheel as a door prize at MUSR 8. I am not sure of the original source, but it was a stock 17 pounder originally. A local Porsche guru here in DFW (Wes Hildreth) performed the lightening which he does for all his engine customers (in other words - he has a specific procedure). I really wish now I had taken a pic of it.

One specific item that he instructed me on during install was to place a second washer underneath the pivot ball for the clutch fork (on the tranny case). This was due to the fact that part of the material that he removed from the flywheel was from the clutch plate mounting surface. This effectively puts the p-plate closer to the disk and flywheel and make the clutch pedal VERY easy to push. So by adding the washer, the geometry of the clutch fork/throwout bearing/flywheel surface is preserved.

later

smontanaro
Google is your friend. This page has an example of a Wes Hildreth lightened 914 flywheel.

http://www.pohlman.info/muskrat.htm

Skip
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Dec 8 2006, 08:16 AM) *

Google is your friend. This page has an example of a Wes Hildreth lightened 914 flywheel.

http://www.pohlman.info/muskrat.htm

Skip

Neat write-up...just wish you could click on the images to see them BIGGER
biosurfer1
why would you lighten the flywheel, just to make that HUGE shift knob out of a solid piece of metal?? i know its aluminum, but i would think the same knob could be made smaller and hollow...i'm just saying with guys doing all kinds of crap to reduce weight, this seemed a bit odd to me.
EdwardBlume
A lightened flywheel seems like a great way to spool up RPMs fast so you can get on it faster. With the RennShift, I can't think a better way to go. Is there a good all aluminum clutch ? or does everything come in steel or aluminum / steel for T4s?
JPB
Since lightening the flywheel reduces the momentume of the motor, does this allow you to stop quicker when you let off the gas with less brake work? To me the quick revs and quick loss of revs seems to be the best way to go for some spirited driving. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.