Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
meador36
Well I'm new to the 914 and I have done a couple of searchs but I still have a problem so I guess its time to ask for help. My tail lights dont seem to be working I have moved all of the wires around but cannot get them to all work at the same time. (brake, tail light, no blinker or blinker, brake, no tail light, etc.) I have checked everything using the wiring diagram but still no luck. I dont know if it will help but I did disconnect the cig lighter. All of the fuses are good as well 1970 9144

Thanks
So.Cal.914
Easy stuff first, did you check the bulbs? Next I would clean the grounds.
meador36
The bulbs and the grounds have all checked out. The cig lighter is listed as being on the same fuse as the lights and it is out but the wipers work.
Spoke
Welcome to the club.

As Paul mentioned, check and clean all grounds, bulb contacts in the socket as well as the contacts on the bulbs. Also check spade connectors on the fuse panel. 30+ years of sitting tends to oxidize electrical connections and even connections that "look" good may not be making good electrical connections.

Question: What front lights work? Headlights? Front running lights? Side markers? Turn signals?

One good thing about the 914s is that their electrical system is very simple; especially compared to today's cars with their computers, processors and sensors. 2 tools that are helpful in debugging 914 electrical systems are a voltmeter and schematic. If you don't have 'em, get 'em.

If you have a good schematic, it will also include wire colors. This is very helpful in tracing wires.

If all grounds and connections look good, one way to approach the issue is to start at a nonworking bulb, turn on the switch for the bulb and measure voltage at the bulb connector. If no voltage, use your schematic to follow the wire back to its source and measure voltage there. If you keep following the source for the wire, you will eventually end up at the battery.

So between the nonworking bulb and the battery, there is an open. Could be a wire, could be a switch, connector, or fuse. This description may seem vague but it works for just about any nonworking electical function. Just like you can follow a road map to get somewhere, the schematic is your road map to the car's electrical system.

Oh yeah, BTW, if you decide to look at the connections on your fuse panel under the dash, disconnect the battery before moving the panel. Several wires come directly from the battery without any fuses or fusable links. If you accidentily touch one of these wires to the wrong place you could end up with an unintended 4th of July celebration under your dash. Not pretty. If you need to electrically test the fuse panel connections, disconnect the battery, move the fuse panel, then reconnect the battery and do your testing. Same for re-assembly; disconnect battery, re-assemble, then connect battery.

Spoke
meador36
I found it there was broke wire. Everything is good again. Thanks everyone for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.