Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: megaphones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jflash914
Just wondering if anyone was using megaphones bolted to their headers for track events? If so do you have any pictures? Also do they have to have an additional support bracket other than the stock muffler bracket?
Thanks,
Jack

URY914
Here is a shot on mine. It is made by EMPI and found at my local VW buggy shop. Some are longer, some are different diameters. This one bolt right up to my header. There is also a insert that keeps the sound down. When it is running without the insert I can't hear yourself think.

campbellcj
QUOTE(jflash914 @ Dec 9 2006, 05:18 AM) *

Just wondering if anyone was using megaphones bolted to their headers for track events? If so do you have any pictures? Also do they have to have an additional support bracket other than the stock muffler bracket?
Thanks,
Jack

They are very light so the stock muffler bracket provides more than enough support in my experience.

If for a six, be sure to get the proper length megaphones, depending on your type of header. The "track only" headers like George Narbal / European Racing need an 18" megaphone and the headers set up for stock-type mufflers, like Bursch, need a 14" megaphone.

Also be sure your local track(s) do not have noise limits.
Trekkor
I made glass pack megaphones for my SIX tonight!

Megaphones

Search feature is your friend wink.gif

KT
sww914
I got a used "MEGS" tip at a muffler shop, it was laying on the floor after being cut off of a Chevy 4X4, had the muffler shop weld a pipe and flange on, $20.00 total.
It was really long, so I ran my first event with it long and then cut it off at the Flame Ring- the clean spot inside that indicated exactly where the mixture was exploding- and made a quick cookie cutter and welded it in.
It's just like everything on my car, cheap and home made. I didn't use any plywood. biggrin.gif
It's not all rusty like it looks in the picture, weird picture.
The really cool thing is that it spits a ball of flame out every time I shift! Thanks, wild cam.
J P Stein
I won't use anything that doesn't have some sort of balance tube arrangment.....some 6 into 1 headers would do the trick. biggrin.gif
I'm thrashing around now to come up with something lighter than the Triad muffler
but will keep it JIC whatever I come up with kills midrange.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.