Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where the pan meets the longitudinal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Now I'm getting uneasy....the shop sez the longs are fine, I'm getting feedback from folks whose opinion I value that they're bad. Obviously the pan is rotted, but where does the one end , and the other start? I colored the long "orange" to highlight it from the rusted pan.
SirAndy
everything *between* the yellow lines is the bottom of your long !!!!
everything inside the red lines shows the bottom of the hell hole ...
everything inside the green lines is your floorpan ...

like i said before, that round tube you see is the metal part of the heater tube that runs inside the long ohmy.gif

if the longs were OK, you shouldn't be able to see inside ... makes sense?
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: this *is* fixable, but it's not an easy repair. you will HAVE TO support the chassis correctly to keep it within specs before you weld this up. your chassis is already flexing and out of spec as it is. the two longs are the spine that holds your car together. if one is weakend like that, your car *is* flexing ...
SirAndy
the longs are rectangular boxes of metal. and i your case, at least the bottom part of the box is rotted away, maybe even more. (can't tell from just that one picture) ...

welder.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
I think Andy's right - you shouldn't be able to see that tube. Better check with the guys @ Stoddard. Not a good sight.
Ferg
Andy, thanks for the Photoshop skills, Glad we are now all on the same page.

Andy's right. Needs to be braced before welding.

I'm only speaking from the outside and only based on what i've read here, but i'm doubting the knowledge of the shop doing the resto. Last thing I want to see is someone drop a boatload of $$ on a resto, that's not done correctly.

Andy, and other's know much more than me, but HERE is the place to get the info to cross check against the work being done.

Just my 2 cents.

Ferg beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.