Besides Microsofts Frontpage what other products are you
guys using to build Webpages...
TimT
globalscape cutehtml,cuteftp etc

Cute
seanery
notepad
Pnambic
Yeah, notepad does it all. In Unix/Linux, vi all the way. I can't stand code created by Frontpage or any other wysiwyg html editor I've ever seen.
tracks914
Netscape Composer. aktion035.gif
I have tried Front Page and Platinum Publishing but Composer is far easier to use. headbang.gif
Any chance I get to "not use" a Microsoft product, I do. cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
ANY html editor i have seen (and i have seen ALOT) creates a ugly, messy, full of unneeded overhead crap piece of html-code.

any plain text editor is guud, i use UltraEdit because it gives me customizeable syntax higlighting and line numbers and other goodies. but is still just a basic text editor.

code is clean & lean and much faster than any frontpage piece of junk can ever be.

of course, you need to learn HTML to use this method wink.gif
Andy
kafermeister
Notepad is my favorite but the folks at work use Word For Windows and just save their documents as HTML. Not quite as messy as Frontpage IMO.

Long live Notepad. laugh.gif

Rick
tracks914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 14 2003, 06:34 PM)

any plain text editor is guud, i use UltraEdit because it gives me customizeable syntac higlighting and line numbers and other goodies. but is still just a basic text editor.

code is clean & lean and much faster than any frontpage piece of junk can ever be.

of course, you need to learn HTML to use this method wink.gif
Andy

After looking at your web site...you obviously know what you are doing. Cool site. pray.gif
I have just found that click and drag, cut and paste was easy for me to learn. I made my site in about an hour and I didn't know what I was doing. This winter I want to learn more and dress it up but for now I have an engine to rebuild. (and a kitchen to redo for the wife too)
campbellcj
Real Men use vi to write C programs that dynamically generate HTML, while logged on in vt100 emulation mode to an 80MHz U*nix box over a 9600bps SLIP dial-up connection.

(I did that once lol2.gif a loooong time ago)

Honestly I now do use Frontpage for some casual/personal site stuff and have tried various Netscape/Mozilla, Adobe and other "WSIWYG" tools...the code they create generally sucks, but sometimes it just doesn't really matter. And the ability to click one button and have your (remotely hosted) site updated automagically is pretty convenient, at least if your ISP or server supports the necessary server publishing extensions. When the code quality does matter, I use something like TextPad to edit the code manually...which you can also do in FrontPage in "HTML" mode BTW.
DuckRyder
DreamWeaver (But I'm not nearly as good with it as with FrontPage.)
double-a
i'm a web designer, and i use bbedit. it's an excellent text editor, i've used it for many moons. i think it has all the good features that andy mentioned. occasionally i'll use macromedia dreamweaver, but only for the ability to preview pages as i write the code. wysiwig editors do tend to make rediculously convoluted code (especially frontpage -- yuck), and i much prefer writing it by hand anyway. that way, when it doesn't 'look right,' i'll know how to fix it.

learning html doesn't take long, and makes page creation much more fun, imho. if i didn't want to learn html, i'd go with dreamweaver probably.
Mountain914
I only use notepad - but sometimes I might send it to Wordpad by accident smile.gif
krk
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Nov 14 2003, 10:29 PM)
Real Men use vi to write C programs that dynamically generate HTML,

Yo Chris -- you spelled "emacs" wrong. laugh.gif

kim.
machina
I use golive and I don't know why.

dr
ArtechnikA
notepad is what i use. i've loaded HTMLKit and a bunch of plugins but i've never really played with them much.
i've exported pages from PageMaker and it wasn't too bad for getting something functional and good looking in a hurry. i didn't much care for Word's Save-As-HTML.
Dave Avery
Dreamweaver MX... Once you get good at it, you can write your own widgets and behaviors, and drop em in pronto. DW doesn't make HTML that's too convoluted, heck, I think it's pretty good.

I also use editplus for the raw editing.
ThinAir
I use FrontPage to maintain the web site where I work (http://www.musnaz.org), but used Dreamweaver MX previously when I was doing more database driven stuff. I can't say that I like FrontPage, mostly because it does some strange things when you try to change stuff. It's typical of MS apps - they know best what you want to do. Word is even worse than FP in my opinion at writing code that is not standards compliant and is like spaghetti.

I recently finished reading Design With Web Standards by Jerry Zeldman (http://www.zeldman.com/dwws/). If you are a web designer then this book is a must read. My work web page is going to be totally redesigned as a result of his thoughts and I'm really leaning toward the text editor approach as a result. It will probably be a lot easier to get what I want.
double-a
QUOTE(Dave Avery @ Nov 15 2003, 04:44 PM)
Dreamweaver MX... Once you get good at it, you can write your own widgets and behaviors, and drop em in pronto. DW doesn't make HTML that's too convoluted, heck, I think it's pretty good.

I also use editplus for the raw editing.

true dat, dreamweaver's not bad at all. the ability to drop in rollover code and other stuff saves a bunch of time, that's for sure. i'm getting golive here in a couple days (with my adobe cs package), so i'm anxious to see what it's like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.