Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas tank colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dmenche914
Want to know a close match to the correct gas tank color. looking at a large collection at High Performance House, there appears to be two colors, a black, and a dark slate grey. Only about ten percent of the tanks were grey (two out of twenty)

My exerience is I have seen the dark grey tanks in early cars. Photos of trunk in the front trunk nail post show both colors.

Anyone know of a close match in a spray can?

thanks

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Dec 9 2006, 05:16 PM) *

Want to know a close match to the correct gas tank color. looking at a large collection at High Performance House, there appears to be two colors, a black, and a dark slate grey. Only about ten percent of the tanks were grey (two out of twenty)

My exerience is I have seen the dark grey tanks in early cars. Photos of trunk in the front trunk nail post show both colors.

Anyone know of a close match in a spray can?

thanks

My recollection is that the tanks were all "dark grey" through '74. What year are you trying to reproduce & why does it need painting? Pretty rare to need a respray on these, unless the tank's been exposed.
dmenche914
Tank was re-sprayed by prior owner flat black, don't know why, but thats what i want to correct, tank is out for gas hose replacement, so now is the time.

Does anyone offer a close match in a spray can?

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Dec 10 2006, 02:12 AM) *

Tank was re-sprayed by prior owner flat black, don't know why, but thats what i want to correct, tank is out for gas hose replacement, so now is the time.

Does anyone offer a close match in a spray can?

What year?

Is the entire tank sprayed flat black?

If you're going to repaint the entire tank (assuming it's incorrect) you'll need to strip & redo it, or you're wasting your time. Needs to be properly prep'd & sprayed. Rattle can won't last & is a waste of time. Won't adhere properly & will eventually start flaking off (even the good ones like Krylon & RostOleum).

Is it a near-concours 914? If not, accept it the way it is & spend your money elsewhere on the car.

My 1/50th of buck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.