Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 205/50 on Steel Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
So I just got some steel wheels and tires 205/50 Falkens and installed them today, they look great (Thanks Jerry), I will post some pictures soon.

I did not really check tire clearance until I took a quick ride around the block and noticed the smell of rubber. The passenger side rear is rubbing on the inside fender well, the drivers side is perfect. What are my options, is there any adjustment that can be made?

Dan
porschecb
Just bend up the inner lip and or roll the fenders popcorn[1].gif
Joe Bob
Baseball bat and roll the fenders....do a search and the full proceedure will come up.
solex
Unfortunately it is not the outer fender well where the tire is rubbing it is the inside. The back of the tire is rubbing.... can I put on one spacer?
TheCabinetmaker
not sure, but i would think that you have to space all four wheels.
Spoke
Sorry to hear of the clearance issue. I had them on both the red and green cars. The only thing I could think about was checking the toe in the rear and hopefully this wheel needs to come out some.

Spoke
steveinOC
Nothing wrong with spacers when you need them.
But I would check the trailing arm bushings and make sure that
is not the cause of the inner wheel well rub.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(steveinOC @ Dec 9 2006, 03:24 PM) *

Nothing wrong with spacers when you need them.
But I would check the trailing arm bushings and make sure that
is not the cause of the inner wheel well rub.

agree.gif It could also be a weak spring, are they original?

Also a failing trailing arm connection point can cause it to sag.
Mueller
QUOTE(solex @ Dec 9 2006, 01:51 PM) *

So I just got some steel wheels and tires 205/50 Falkens and installed them today, they look great (Thanks Jerry), I will post some pictures soon.

I did not really check tire clearance until I took a quick ride around the block and noticed the smell of rubber. The passenger side rear is rubbing on the inside fender well, the drivers side is perfect. What are my options, is there any adjustment that can be made?

Dan

rubbing on the inside it pretty odd...something sounds bent or damaged or you have some odd offset rims..
GeorgeRud
Certainly check the springs and alignment, but a set of 1/4 inch spacers may make all the difference. Tires may be marked the same, but do not always have the same dimensions. Don't be afraid to experiment, but be sure you have adequate lug nut engagement with the spacers..
solex
As promised the pictures are attached. I'm really happy with the way these tires/rims look.
solex
Another side
solex
the problem side, any quick things I can do to determine if the bushings or springs are bad?
solex
problem side outer
Joe Bob
Everything looks new. When was the last alignment?
solex
Good side inner and outter
solex
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 10 2006, 01:26 PM) *

Everything looks new. When was the last alignment?

Shocks are new, I believe that the springs are originals, the car is really solid in the rear. I'm not sure when the last alignment was done (probably never).

Is there anything I can do temporarily to move the tire out a little before I do an alignment, how would I do it?

Thanks
Joe Bob
Spacer....but then you may need longer lug bolts....
solex
Update: I was able to loosen the bolts on the trailing arm support. I moved the tire by hand and now I have 1/4" of clearance, took it out for a spin and no rubbing.

I will work on getting the car aligned...

Dan
Joe Bob
Probably the best answer....

Now finding a shop that can do it w/o buggering it up.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.