Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case Sealant.....Pic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
Would this sealant be okay to use to seal my case? I read somewhere to not use silicone based sealant. I wanted to put my case together this weekend and don't really want to order sealant, unless I have to. Is there any reccomended sealant that I can pick up locally?

Thanks,
Rod
Aaron Cox
as the "how to rebuild a volkswagen engine" book said. i used lots of Permatex 3h , (aircraft grade sealant). works good.

got it at FLAP's cool_shades.gif
LS6/914
Through the years I have used many types. I currently use GM part #1052943. Its made by permatex, red in color. We use it to seal the Cadillac Northstar V8 lower case & crank cradles, works great no leakee. beer3.gif
McMark
Jake uses the aircraft sealant. Buy that local. Use what's proven on hundreds of engines.
DuckRyder
QUOTE(LS6/914 @ Nov 15 2003, 01:01 AM)
Through the years I have used many types. I currently use GM part #1052943. Its made by permatex, red in color. We use it to seal the Cadillac Northstar V8 lower case & crank cradles, works great no leakee. beer3.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of that.

We used to use it on transmissions.

Its expensive though.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(415PB @ Nov 14 2003, 07:11 PM)
Would this sealant be okay to use to seal my case? I read somewhere to not use silicone based sealant.  I wanted to put my case together this weekend and don't really want to order sealant, unless I have to.  Is there any reccomended sealant that I can pick up locally?

Thanks,
Rod

DO NOT USE SILICONE ON CASE HALFS!!!! chair.gif

Use the Permatex 3h on one case half only, make sure the surfaces are clean and oil free. I do use a bit of the Silicone on the paper gaskets, just a bit between the fingers rubbed into them. I never have leaks.
415PB
Thanks guys, I'm on my way to pic up some 3H.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.