Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 seats in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
Will 1981 911 seats fit in a 914? Has any one done this?
Thanks
-Rob
anthony
I've seen them fitted before. The biggest problem with any aftermarket seat is that the base is usually too thick. If you are a short guy then 911 seats might even benefit you by allowing you to set a 2-3 inches higher.
tradisrad
QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 10 2006, 09:38 AM) *

I've seen them fitted before. The biggest problem with any aftermarket seat is that the base is usually too thick. If you are a short guy then 911 seats might even benefit you by allowing you to set a 2-3 inches higher.

anthony, looks like you've got both a 911 and 914, the seats I've seen for sale are from a '81 911, do you know if the rail widths are the same size and have the same mounting, or I suppose I can modify the seats to fit my 914 rails.
I am about 5'8", so a few inches higer may be ok... also willthe head rest fit in the 914 w/o interfering with the back pad? (late model interior)
I would only do the swap out if its not too difficult. I've been googleing it and am not having a lot of luck.
anthony
I could measure rails a little later. My guess is that the backpad will be in the way unless you like the seat really far forward.
tradisrad
QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 10 2006, 09:49 AM) *

I could measure rails a little later. My guess is that the backpad will be in the way unless you like the seat really far forward.

that is what I am thinking also.. dont go to the trouble of measuring, lets see what others say. There are some 911 seats locally and I got a wild thought....
PRS914-6
The biggest issue you might have is your knees against the steering wheel. You may be short (like me) but your leg diameter will be a big part by raising the seat. Too close and you won't have room to operate the brake and clutch. Check out this thread where I swapped for 911 sliders...I also offset my steering wheel (GTS seats)

Good Luck
Joe Bob
Too big...
pete-stevers
my first choice are craigs gt style seats....
next choice is a stocker, recovered...leather if you please
primarily because they fit the back pad....an look stock
next aftermarket seats like a sparco or what have you with romoval of backpad....
but i have a set of 911 seats sitting upstairs in th e shop....
with no desire to modify them for my 914....
i would gladly part with them...but some chump has said he would buy them off me....
marks914
Here is my solution to the 914 seat problem.

I have the seats in data, and I will make a set this spring and see how they go.

I was planning on using the stock insert and either modifying the base or making a mold for new one.

I just modified the blosters, keeping hard points for the carryover insert and stock 3-point seat belt reach zones.

Mark

PS the quad gauges are almost ready, just waiting for the icon graphics form the printer.
Brando
I've fit 911 seats into my 914 before (from an '81 SC). If you adapt the rails it is best to use flat stock because you will have height issues from the bottom cushion to the steering wheel. Passenger side was VERY comfortable, but you had to have skinny legs to fit into the driver's seat with a stock steering wheel.

I ended up making what looked like a square from 1/8" flat stock, welding it together and drilling two holes on each side in the bar that runs across the car under the seats so that nuts attaching the sliders to my square frame wouldn't be pushing the seat up higher. Then an "L" shape on the front of the square frame hung down over the front side of the bar and bolted through. That held the seat down. Attach the rear part of the "frame" to the hinges in back and you're set.
SGB
QUOTE(marks914 @ Dec 10 2006, 12:39 PM) *

Here is my solution to the 914 seat problem.

I have the seats in data, and I will make a set this spring and see how they go.

I was planning on using the stock insert and either modifying the base or making a mold for new one.

I just modified the blosters, keeping hard points for the carryover insert and stock 3-point seat belt reach zones.

Mark

that looks good.... aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.