Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber Carb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Evilbay Carb

Will these work well with my 1.7?
My FI was working when I bought and torn down my car (haven't registered and driven it since I bought it) but last week I took out the spark plugs and they were black as soot. (Fuel pump was hot wired to the coil too so it runs all the time)
Would it be worth $100 to buy this set-up to keep as a spare way up here in Northern Canada?
Joe Bob
That is a Pinto/Weber progressive two barrel carb.....probably the biggest piece of shit known to mankind. RUN AWAY.
tracks914
What CFM carb will work with these engines?
I have the ability to make my own manifold but it would help if I knew what carbs work well should I ever decide to go that route.
Mueller
What a bullshit artist this seller is...it's people like this guy that don't do a single positive thing for our 914's.

Don't lie in order to sell an item, this carb setup does work, but it's a comprimise and should only be used as a last resort or out of total desperation.

The biggest problem with this setup is not the carb. itself, it's the piss-poor location. The runners are too long and not properly designed to be a "wet" intake setup. As the airfuel mixture goes down the tubes, the fuel will want to cling to the sides of the runners and will start to drip down the runners....liquid fuel does not burn as well as an atomized mixture.

Dual carbs are much, much better than the single carb since the airfuel mixture has more of a straight shot down to the intake valves.

As to CFM, a single carb of ~200cfm should be okay from the carb. calculators I've seen.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 15 2003, 11:12 AM)
As to CFM, a single carb of ~200cfm should be okay from the carb. calculators I've seen.

don't have the conversion to CFM handy but here are the numbers in Liter/Minute ...

1.7L:
====
4198L per minute at maximum HP (5000 rpm) - theoretical max.
3568L per minute at maximum HP (5000 rpm) - with VE = 85%

1.8L:
====
4308L per minute at maximum HP (4800 rpm) - theoretical max.
3662L per minute at maximum HP (4800 rpm) - with VE = 85%

2.0L:
====
4829L per minute at maximum HP (4900 rpm) - theoretical max.
4105L per minute at maximum HP (4900 rpm) - with VE = 85%
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Tracks:
I have one of those pieces of Shit on my 914 ,1.7 now.
Fix the F.I., best overall performace with that. I have new set up in a box in the garage now to go on. If you use the Carb, it will not run wirth a shit untill it hits 3,500 R.P.M. don,t try to pull out in traffic with out a lot of room between you and the on comming cars. Dave Darling says " To give it the lake test,if it floats keep it". DON'T DO IT !!! Dave ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Aaron Cox
POS... if you want to run carbeuration. go with dual dells or weber 40's. gotta change the cam to run carbs tho wink.gif , i wouldve kept the EFI on my car had it had it to begin with wink.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I AGREE WITH ACOX914, if you must have carbs. go with the dual Webers. I had the pleasure of riding in a great running carbed 2.0 at MUSR. Isky valve train. Seems more time and money to buy Carbs ,change dizzy,split the case. Than just getting the F.I. dialed in right. just my 2 cents Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
Aaron Cox
i didnt have efi on my 2.0 so.... i went with a carb cam and carbs (had to rebuild anyway confused24.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.