Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Tin post side shifter upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Ok, so for the first time since I updated my 72 to a side shifter I tried to put on the two small pieces of engine tin that go underneath the cylinders. One on pax side, one on the driver side.

Low and behold, my 72 piece (drivers side) does not fit anymore. Actually it still fits, but it interferes with the shifting once installed. Obviously the pax side has no issues.

Is there a solution? I need a late model piece that won't interfere with the shift rod, but will mount to my 1.7L heat exhangers.

thanks everyone!!
maf914
The late model style bottom tin piece has a concave surface that extends upward toward the underside of the cylinders. This inverted "tunnel" shape allows room for the shift rod.

I can't say if will mount correctly to the 1.7 heat exchangers. I have 2.0 SS HE's and the bottom tin piece fits properly.
jr91472
Perhaps there is a better way to ask this question:

Are their any differences in the HE's that came on early (tailshifter) 1.7L compared to the HE's that came on the later (sideshift) 1.7L?

Since these air plates (I guess that is what you call them) partially bolt to the HE's, I need to find the correct sideshifter / 1.7L HE combo.

If all 1.7L HE's are the same, then I should be safe using a 1973 air plate since that was the only year they made a 1.7L motor with a sideshift tranny.

thanks again beer.gif
brant
The piece that you need came in 3 different flavors.
you specifically need the middle style:

- early style was for tail shifters 1970-1972
- middle style was for 1973-1974 cars
- late style was for 1975-1976 cars with different heat exchangers.

all 3 of these tins have different shapes and different part numbers
if you find that piece of tin from a 1973 or 1974 car it will fit, regardless of whether that car is a 1.7,1.8, or 2.0

or you could do what everyone else does and just leave that one off

brant
jr91472
Brant,

Thanks for the info. smilie_pokal.gif

I thought for awhile there that I had stumped the board. confused24.gif

later beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I have a few if ya need one.

Curt
jr91472
Curt, you have a pm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.