Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anyone ever make homemade sausage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I have a meat grinder with the sausage stuffing attachment and I'm thinking of making homemade sausage... the kind in the casing.... or maybe some dried sausage like salami or something.

Anyone ever done that before?

Does anyone have any recipes... you know with stuff I can buy at the store or get from the butcher?

Thanks!
Aaron Cox
you have a meat grinder big enough for alfred? laugh.gif

that would suck, getting your meat in the grinder.... sad.gif

Oh was that outloud? ohmy.gif
Qarl
Okay... only two minutes until the crued comments started... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Someone ship me some fresh venison!!!!
GWN7
laugh.gif Venison? Monday... 3 in 3 hours. Took longer to drive out there than the actual hunting and field dressing.

The one to the left field dressed out at about 280lbs.

Most guys who do there own sausage use a 50/50 ratio of venison and Pork. You need some fat content in the sausage. Double grind it. Grind the meats, then mix in the spices, then grind it again. Makes for a smoother texture. You can use lean beef if venison isn't available. The type of salt you use can effect your product too.

There are several receipe books out. You have to make several batches to see what you like. smile.gif

I'd send you some, but current regulations mean you might get it in 6 months. sad.gif It only takes 3 months to get permits to temporally import a gun to go hunting.

(resume crude comments) laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 15 2003, 06:06 PM)
I'd send you some, but current regulations mean you might get it in 6 months. sad.gif It only takes 3 months to get permits to temporally import a gun to go hunting.

don't we all know that dead meat is much more dangerous than weapons?!? confused24.gif

i have to come up there and visit you guys for some good hunting.
haven't had good wild boar in ages.
used to go hunting with my dad all the time when i was a kid.

oh well ... sad.gif
Andy
GWN7
This one looks simple

Depression Era Venison Sausage
4 lb Venison
1 lb Beef
2 lb Lean pork
1 lg Onion
1/2 Peck potatoes (about 4 Quarts)
2 tb Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1 ts Allspice
Sausage casings

Grind together all the meats with the onion. Next grind the potatoes and mix them with the meats. Add spices and mix thoroughly. Use a sausage stuffer, fill casings, but not too full. Tie the ends with string; put into a large kettle of cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 1 hour, being sure to prick each sausage with a fork after boiling 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Tastes best when fried in butter till casings are a light brown. Many of the recipes in this collection did not contain amounts or oven temperatures.
GWN7
Andy,

wild boars are such a problem that there is no season on them here. Lots of farmers want people to help remove them. PM me your address and I'll send you some information.
Qarl
Maybe I can combine thread topics and make squirrel sausage!!!
BarberDave
trophy:
From ; Barber Dave to : Kellzey & GWN

You are required by contract ( and in GWN"s caes) international treaty, to ship each of you, 5lbs of sausage to the 914 club official taster for his approval and seal.
Failure to comply with the above could lead to dire Consequences and severe mental disorders!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"AS IT IS SAID SO SHALL IT BE WRITTEN"

chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif
eresener
I use the basic depression receipe...except I don't try to use the casings...they ARE pig intestines....I just double grind the meats, onion, herbs and put it into foil and store it in small 1 pound pkgs...

Here in Missouri it is open season on wild boar...they really tear up the crop lands...so shoot them till the barrel melts down...but you better have one powerful rifle...it takes a big'n to knock them down and a few more to kill them....the tusks are pretty sharp.... and from experience... shoot from up in a tree...they can't climb too high... but will try and knock you out of the tree...hunting in the Ozarks is very good...it is currently deer season here... until the 22nd...
SirAndy
QUOTE(eresener @ Nov 16 2003, 04:25 AM)
Here in Missouri it is open season on wild boar...they really tear up the crop lands...so shoot them till the barrel melts down...but you better have one powerful rifle...it takes a big'n to knock them down and a few more to kill them....the tusks are pretty sharp.... and from experience... shoot from up in a tree...they can't climb too high... but will try and knock you out of the tree...

yepp, been boar hunting before. they're tough MF's. you have to hit them right under/at their shoulder blade (from the side obviously) to hit the heart. anything else will require VERY FAST legs on your end. blink.gif

had to give the deathblow to one with my dad's 44 magnum one day. that wasn't pretty.
seen them toss around and tear up hunting dogs (big ones) like little toys.

but the meat is yummie ... chowtime.gif
Andy
Katmanken
Karl,

What kinda recipes are you looking for?

Picked me up a sausage/meat book at the library sale day for $.50.

We gots cajun boudin, bierwurst, english bangers, breakfast, kielbasa, chorzio, onion, italian, knockwurst, wieners, bologna, pepperoni, mortadella, berliner, krakowska, braunschweiger, chinese, mettwurst, fish, liver and onion, polish ham, rheinische fleischwurst, sulzwurst einfach, jagdwurst, teewurst, weisswurst, blood, ring liver, souse, head cheeze, scrapple, lieberkasse, thuringer, etc.

No, I don't have a recipe for that Goetta crap that they sell here in Cinci. Who else but the Germans would put oats in their sausage icon8.gif laugh.gif

Ken
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 16 2003, 12:54 PM)
Who else but the Germans would put oats in their sausage icon8.gif  :lol:

the Scots do too... blood sausage and haggis (it's close, meat scraps and stuff, stuffed into an animal intestine)
Aaron Cox
ohmy.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif barf.gif pain30.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(acox914 @ Nov 16 2003, 01:03 PM)
ohmy.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif barf.gif pain30.gif

agree.gif (insert heart attack smiley here) !!!!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Nov 16 2003, 11:02 AM)
blood sausage

hmmmmm, Blutwurst wub.gif chowtime.gif
redshift
In my life, I have killed 8,000 birds, 2 deer, and a wild sau.

When hunting pigs, take a rifle, 2 big sidearms, and don't be conservative.

Who's tasting who?

M
Bruce Allert
My Hungarian grandparents always used pig intestine casings for their sausage. Called the sausage hoolka (sp). Best sausage I've ever had. I got both of their hand grinders. Was hoping I could perform one of them "laying of hands" ritual on them & all the recipes would flow into me...
(din't happen) rolleyes.gif

Miles... was it a big sau? wink.gif beer.gif
bruce
J P Stein
Hummmmm......tube steak.

Not to be confused with the "tube steak boggie" laugh.gif
GWN7
For those interested, info on wild boar hunting Here

Just have to check federal laws on lending a gun now.
Qarl
http://www.kateryndedevelyn.org/sausdry.htm

lots of recipies.

I'd like to try a dried (cured) sausage like a salami or something. Seems like you can make it and dry it in the fridge!!!!

I'm thinking something that I can cut a hunk off and chew on with some cheese and crackers...

mmm..... sausage!
Katmanken
Bruce,

Ya sure it wasn't Hungarian Paprika Sausage?

Ya don't wanna know what's in that Hungarian Churka sausage blink.gif icon8.gif

MMMMMMMMM..... RICE LIVER SAUSAGE................MMMMMMMMMM

for 10 lbs.
6 tbs salt
1 large onion
1 tsp marjoram
2 tbsp paprica
1 lb rice (uncooked)
5-6 lbs PORK SNOUTS (honest! that's what it says!)
2 1/2 lbs pork livers
2 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 1(salt, nitrite and nitrate aka saltpeter

Cook rice til tender, don't overcook. Cook headmeat til tender and save the broth. Do not boil: simmer only. Slice onions and fry in lard til golden brown. Blanch liver in hot water for 3 minutes.

After all is cool, grind the headmeat thru 1/8" grinder plate, grind the liver thru a1/4 plate with the onion. Put items in the mixer and add broth to bring the weight up to 110% of 10 lbs. Mix well. Stuff into casings, cooksausage in 170 degree water for 1 hour or until inner temp reaches 110 deg F.

Remove sausage from cooker and place in containers with water and ice to cool to below 40 deg. F ( internal).

I was OK with the recipie until I got to the snouts. icon8.gif

Mebbe Miles can help with that.....

Ken
Katmanken
OK Karl

Pick yer poison....

We have recipies for salami: cooked, Genoa, hard, Kosher Style, Polish dry cured, and Venison

Ken
Qarl
Lets try hard salami or Polish dry cured
Katmanken
Karl,

Lets go with the dry-cure. That Polish stuff requires hanging at 55-60 degrees for 6-8 weeks. In Florida, it would be green by then icon8.gif

Dry Cured Hard Salami

10 lbs recipie

9 Tbsp. salt
1 oz powdered dextrose
2 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 2
1 Tbsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp gnger
1 tsp garlic powder
2 oz. corn syrup solids
2 1/2 lbs lean boneless beef
6 1/2 lbs lean pork
1 lb. backfat

Chill meat to 30-32 degrees. Grind beef thru a 1/8" grinderplate and pork thru a 3/8" plate. Dice backfat into 3/4- 1 in. cubes and frozen. Place all meat and ingredients into a mixer and mix well. Grind all through a 1/8" plate. Pack into tubs to eliminate air pockets. Hold in cooler at 38-40 degrees F for 72 hours.

Place meat into stuffer and stuff into a defatted beef middle about 3 in. in diameter and 20 ft long. Stuff the casing and twist every 2-3 inches. Cure for 3-4 days at 70-75 degrees with a relative humidity of 70-80%

Hmmmm, no cooking!

Ken
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 16 2003, 07:40 PM)
Bruce,

Ya sure it wasn't Hungarian Paprika Sausage?

Ya don't wanna know what's in that Hungarian Churka sausage blink.gif icon8.gif

MMMMMMMMM..... RICE LIVER SAUSAGE................MMMMMMMMMM

I was OK with the recipie until I got to the snouts. icon8.gif

Mebbe Miles can help with that.....

Ken

laugh.gif Ken, most of what my gramma & grampa made were from pigs, cows & goats. I don't remember seeing the snouts cuz if'n I did I'd have never ate it barf.gif so... what I din't know din't hurt me (thank God) rolleyes.gif Them people from "the Old Country" used everything of the animals. My other grandparents were custom butchers. I'd spend a few weeks in the summer going out to different ranches in So. Cal (Hemet, Anza, San Jacinto area) and helped with the butchering. One time really sticks in my mind. We were on a reservation doin' a big cow. After my grampa shot it & got it up in the air to drain the blood a bunch of little Indian kids came out carrying large pans to catch the blood for blood pudding. While the cow drained and the kids stood watching wide eyed , my gramps took two fingers, swiped it thru the stream of blood & licked it off saying to the kids, "go get yer cup"! ohmy.gif The kids ran off screaming clap56.gif He was a really great grampa... wub.gif quite the cowboy too.
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.