Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I knew this day was coming, but
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
Well today was the day the transporter came for my 914-6 GTR to be taken across the pond to London, England. I've had this particular teener since 1993 and it was tough to see her go.

T.C.
carr914
Bye Bye
carr914
bye1.gif
carr914
Enjoy it Andy, I did
carr914
BUT, all is not lost, as I'm now the Curator for 914-6 #138, and I am moving forward on my 74 Carrera project

T.C.
carr914
And it's YELLOW rocking nana.gif

T.C.
markb
Wow.

On all counts.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 12 2006, 04:37 PM) *

Wow.

On all counts.

agree.gif sad.gif and biggrin.gif
Brett W
What's up with the push bar on the front?
maf914
QUOTE(Brett W @ Dec 13 2006, 07:54 AM) *

What's up with the push bar on the front?

Nerf bars? Cool!

I can remember when the 914 was current and various accessory makers offered bumper override bars. I think it was a carry over from the British sports car market which offered bars to protect grills on MGs and Triumphs from the higher bumpers on American iron. They used to be common for early VW Beetles, too.
I sort of like the looks of a California style Beetle with nerf bars but no stock bumpers.
URY914
TC,

Sad to see it go too. Whata machine.

I saw on the new owner post on the Urup 914 site that he wants to paint it.

So give us some details on how you ship a car overseas. Did the new buy arrange the whole thing? Does it go in a container?
carr914
New owner had the transport arranged. I don't know how long it takes to get there. I loved the paint scheme, but it's now somebody else's toy.

T.C.
914efi
This was my sad day-August of this past summer. I miss the car, but it is only in NY, not across the ocean! I am woking on my '75 Carerra among other things.
type4org
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 13 2006, 11:23 AM) *

So give us some details on how you ship a car overseas. Did the new buy arrange the whole thing? Does it go in a container?

Shipping a car overseas is not really a big deal as the shipping company usually handles all formalities on the US side and they normally have a partner company across the pond that can do customs etc. at the point of entry.

I shipped my 914 from Virginia to Germany at the end of October. To save some money I drove it to the port where it was to be shipped from (Philadelphia). The shipping company dealt with everything from there on out. They load the car into a container and off it goes. About three weeks later I picked it up in Cologne where the German partner company receives goods coming into the country through the port of Antwerp/Belgium.

The shipping itself ended up being abut $1800, including the fees for them doing customs clearance in Germany. I actually paid more in customs and tax, which came to a total of 26% of the purchase price. Not everyone has to pay customs and tax, but since I am German and had owned the car for less than 6 months in the US I had to pay.

My only complaints are a couple new scratches and dings, and they somehow managed to break the shift rod in the tunnel. The shift rod was fixable with a welder and then a shifter readjustment, though.

I'd say the most important part in the puzzle is finding a reliable and trustworthy shipper that can take all the bureaucracy and paperwork from you. If anyone is in the market for shipping from the US to Germany I'll be happy to provide contact details for the people I worked with, I received excellent service. No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer smile.gif

Boojum
QUOTE(type4org @ Dec 24 2006, 07:56 AM) *

Shipping a car overseas is not really a big deal as the shipping company usually handles all formalities on the US side and they normally have a partner company across the pond that can do customs etc. at the point of entry.

I shipped my 914 from Virginia to Germany at the end of October. To save some money I drove it to the port where it was to be shipped from (Philadelphia). The shipping company dealt with everything from there on out. They load the car into a container and off it goes. About three weeks later I picked it up in Cologne where the German partner company receives goods coming into the country through the port of Antwerp/Belgium.

The shipping itself ended up being abut $1800, including the fees for them doing customs clearance in Germany. I actually paid more in customs and tax, which came to a total of 26% of the purchase price. Not everyone has to pay customs and tax, but since I am German and had owned the car for less than 6 months in the US I had to pay.

That's pretty interesting, as I've been wondering about similar things lately. Did you have to jump through any special hoops to get the car registered in Germany? Somehow, I have a feeling that Germany is a little more flexible than the US, if the situation was reversed.
type4org
QUOTE(Boojum @ Dec 24 2006, 01:28 PM) *

That's pretty interesting, as I've been wondering about similar things lately. Did you have to jump through any special hoops to get the car registered in Germany? Somehow, I have a feeling that Germany is a little more flexible than the US, if the situation was reversed.

I had to do a few things:

- replace the headlights (those antiquated sealed beams are verboten here)

- disconnect the side markers (you may not have any yellow running lights)

- replace the single chamber all yellow front turnsignal with a dual chamber parking light/turnsignal unit (board member Martin Baker actually rebuilds and converts the single chamber units to dual chamber units and does a smashing job!) and the lens must be the white/amber style (by the way, the "Hella" lenses they sell at Pelican seem to be cheap repros, the technical inspector wrote those up as a defect!)

- replace the MPH speedo with a KPH one (got a used rebuilt one from speedometer expert "Tacho Thomas" in Germany)

- replace the taillight lenses with a set that has amber turn signals

They're pretty strict when it comes to whacked-out wheel/tire combinations that people in the US seem to love wink.gif Mine got a set of rebuilt original steelies with Michelin XZX repros put on, so I was safe on that end. It was only after that purchase that I realized the tires were 165 SR 15, not 165 HR 15 as I should have had. But the inspector did me a favor and simply reduced the top speed in the registration documents from 182 KPH to 179 KPH, so the SR tires are legal. wink.gif

URY914
QUOTE(type4org @ Dec 24 2006, 01:26 PM) *

They're pretty strict when it comes to whacked-out wheel/tire combinations that people in the US seem to love wink.gif Mine got a set of rebuilt original steelies with Michelin XZX repros put on, so I was safe on that end. It was only after that purchase that I realized the tires were 165 SR 15, not 165 HR 15 as I should have had. But the inspector did me a favor and simply reduced the top speed in the registration documents from 182 KPH to 179 KPH, so the SR tires are legal. wink.gif

Wow, that is a bit strict!
type4org
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 25 2006, 10:21 AM) *

Wow, that is a bit strict!

SR tires are legal up to 180 KPH. HR are (if I remember correctly) 210 KPH.

If you consider the fact that people are legally allowed to take their car on the freeway and actually hit top speed the strictness should make more sense wink.gif

carr914
Paul, Do You have a link for that Urop site?

T.C.
URY914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 25 2006, 09:32 AM) *

Paul, Do You have a link for that Urop site?

T.C.

I'll look for it.
URY914
http://www.ddk-online.com/

Try this one.
URY914
Here is the thread...

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12358
martinef1963
QUOTE(type4org @ Dec 24 2006, 09:56 AM) *

My only complaints are a couple new scratches and dings, and they somehow managed to break the shift rod in the tunnel. The shift rod was fixable with a welder and then a shifter readjustment, though.

I'd say the most important part in the puzzle is finding a reliable and trustworthy shipper that can take all the bureaucracy and paperwork from you. If anyone is in the market for shipping from the US to Germany I'll be happy to provide contact details for the people I worked with, I received excellent service. No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer smile.gif

agree.gif The hardest thing to do is find a "reputable/reliable/trustworthy" company to get your property across the pond in one piece. The bracing is very important and yet poorly performed once they load it onto a container. I have blocked and cross braced with rachet straps on either side of the container to ensure the car will not bounce all over the place during any serious shifting of the container.
type4org
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Dec 25 2006, 02:26 PM) *

The bracing is very important and yet poorly performed once they load it onto a container. I have blocked and cross braced with rachet straps on either side of the container to ensure the car will not bounce all over the place during any serious shifting of the container.

Loading into the container usually happens when the customer is long gone. It's not common that you can be present or even help doing it.

914rrr
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 12 2006, 04:05 PM) *

And it's YELLOW rocking nana.gif

T.C.

Way to go TC!

I didn't think you'd be teener-less for too long. beerchug.gif

BTW, did you have to pay the 'historicly significant' price for it, or something closer to a 'I need some bucks quick' price?

Personally, I like the 'period correct' bumper bars on teeners.

Rob
carr914
Technically, #138 is not my car YET. Thus the word "CURATOR", but it is in my garage where hopefully it will not leave. I have an option on the car that will get better as I work on the car. All the doors and lids open & close like a brand new car, but the seats/backpad need work as does the mechnical side of things. I can't believe this car was driven here from Miami the way it drives.
By the way the bumper (nerf) bar will be going real soon. I will ask the owner if he wants it. If he doesn't, it will be up for grabs, cuz I will not allow it on this car.
Where do I find the rubber pad for the rear bumper?

T.C.
Aldehyde
I would be interested in the bumper bar if the new owner dosn't want it.

Thanks beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.