Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SHEEZ! glad we are back....now I have a question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
First off thank GOD the club is still around!

I am the (276th member or so)....in other words since the begining...GREAT site and resorce. BTW admins IF there is anything I can do to help let me know I know I have a lil room on my website address for schtuff if needed. BUT I am not very web savey so...?/

Now my question....what do I need to do to a RX7 oil cooler to make it work in my six....it is the right size to fit under the ducting from a GT car right? what else need I do to make the install look right?

Thanks

Josh aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
RX7 - do a search for the specifics... but from what i remember...
they have a thermostat in side of em... and the fittings are too small... soo you gut the thermo and weld in AN bungs... and then have it ultrasonic cleaned...
Joe Bob
How much is yer engine worth?

Go to BAT Inc and get a new one....and use a thermostat.
Aaron Cox
an ultrasonic cleaned cooler isnt a liability mike....
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 23 2006, 05:31 PM) *

No but by the time ya do all that stuff, you coulda just bought a new one that fits, needs no cleaning and has the right sized fittings.....

Kinda like reusing a condom..... huh.gif
seanery
1st gen rx7 or 2nd?
grasshopper
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 23 2006, 05:33 PM) *

No but by the time ya do all that stuff, you coulda just bought a new one that fits, needs no cleaning and has the right sized fittings.....

agree.gif (never thought I would say that)
After its all said an done you might as well get a new one. I would feel better knowing that my freshly rebuilt motor is being cooled by a NEW, RELIABLE, oil cooler, not an old, unknown condition, and after its done modified oil cooler...but what do I know?? huh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Dec 23 2006, 08:23 PM) *

After its all said an done you might as well get a new one. I would feel better knowing that my freshly rebuilt motor is being cooled by a NEW, RELIABLE, oil cooler, not an old, unknown condition, and after its done modified oil cooler...but what do I know?? huh.gif

LOL - i beg to differ tho, albeit you make good points...

depends on the NEW cooler you purchase....

but RX7 coolers are as cheap as 20-40 bucks on ebay. figure another 20 for the threaded bungs you weld in and 50-150 bucks to have it cut/welded/sonicleaned.....

I have an rx7 cooler here somewhere... nice piece. i ended up using a setrab that i got a killer deal on...

how is it different than re-using the engine mounted cooler on a /6 or a /4?? and i bet you didnt have yours ultra sonic cleaned when you rebuilt your last motor smile.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 23 2006, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Dec 23 2006, 08:23 PM) *

how is it different than re-using the engine mounted cooler on a /6 or a /4?? and i bet you didnt have yours ultra sonic cleaned when you rebuilt your last motor smile.gif

Damn.... chairfall.gif You got me on that one..... BUT!!!! I am not having chunks taken out of the coolor and new pieces welded on either.... Touchet!!!! (dumb french cant spell) laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
any competent shop with a tig can do it. but it has to be pressure tested....

aircompressor and sumberge it smile.gif

its probably cheaper than you think.

RON S made his a bolt together unit if i recall - uses it to cool his 3.6
grasshopper
Haha...now thats something I would NOT trust myself with. If I was going to modify an oil cooler to cool that chunk of money...aaahhhemm...engine... I would leave it to the pro's... But just for comfort, if you could spend an extra..say 30-40 dollars to buy a NEW cooler with a WARRENTY would you take it or would you go through the trouble of getting all that work done on another cooler and TRUST it?
pete-stevers
when i find all my parts for gizmo....i think i will split for a new one....plus a thremostat...
but if you have a rx cooler in your possesion.....for twenty or thirty...and money is an issue....use the damn thing..and get that six on the road....
i don't know how many degrees i lose by running refrigeration copper through the longs....but there is another idea...to chew on
dekman
So I should'nt reuse my condoms? blink.gif My "junkyard" RX7 cooler($15) has been working great X 5 yrs. and my 3.0L has had no problems........ My memory may be failing me but I do not remember welding on new fittings....I adapted A/N fittings directly. I took the lines down the drivers side...widening the existing holes. If you want more pic's let me know. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.