Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PRO-M Mass Air flow on a 3.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
I installed the PRO-M Mass Air flow on my 3.2 in my 914.
The motor idled fine but mid range and high ran rough and cut out.
I tweaked the knobs on the tuner module and it no longer cut out.
I did not notice any more power and the motor ran kind of boggy.
Does anyone have any experience with this conversion?

regards,

SF
Steve
Here's a picture of the tuner.

SF
Brad Roberts
Steve,

I tried a few different items on the 3.2 back several years ago (including a hot wire conversion) the general concensus in the industry was: none of them really do anything worth while. The thought was: the flapper box restricted flow.. until somebody ran the numbers and realized that wasnt the problem.

It looks good.. I'll give it that.

B
boxstr
Steve I would head over to bird board 1, and see if any of the 911 gurus over there can give of there devine wisdom.
I saw one of those on ebay, you weren't the high bidder were you? I think I will get the stock motor into the car before I start throwing all kinds of "magic hp" at the thing.
One thing everybody keeps mentioning is a Steve Wong chip.
Keep us posted on the prognosis.
CCLIN3.2ENVY
SirAndy
sorry for hi-jacking this thread (somewhat) but does anyone know where i can find a air-flow sensor with good documentation? i need to know which volt-output matches what FM.

does anyone know the numbers for the 1.8L sensor?
what about the MAP sensor the MegaSquirt is using?

anyone?
Andy
sechszylinder
hi andy,

here's some documentation about converting an older motronic to work with a mass flow sensor.
basically that guy is using some kind of a look up table to correct the voltage levels.

http://www.kolliman.de/e30m3/e30m3.html (danger, german content smilie_flagge6.gif wink.gif )

The MAP sensor of the megasquirt efi will not work with a system, which is designed for sensing air mass
or air flow , like L-Jetronic or Motronic because megasquirt is based on manifold pressure
(Manifold Absolute Pressure) .

benno
SirAndy
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Nov 18 2003, 11:56 AM)
The MAP sensor of the megasquirt efi will not work with a system, which is designed for sensing air mass
or air flow , like L-Jetronic or Motronic because megasquirt is based on manifold pressure
(Manifold Absolute Pressure) .

danke für den link!

hmmm, i was under the impression that you can translate manifold pressure into air-flow ...

from their web-site:
"The MAP sensor is used by MegaSquirt for two separate tasks. First, it is used as a Manifold Absolute Pressure monitor, which monitors the intake tract pressure (absolute), which is a direct (proportional) indication of mass air flow and required fuel."

Andy
Mueller
Andy, the MAP is similar to the TPS, it's basicly a Potentiometric sensor....

which is a direct (proportional) indication of mass air flow and required fuel

you need the lookup table, depending on the table, 3v output from the MAP will be different engine to engine (table to table)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 18 2003, 12:32 PM)
you need the lookup table

that sucks. so, with the MAP sensor, you have to compile a new lookup table yourself every time you change something?
why not install a real air flow sensor in addition to the pressure sensor? confused24.gif

Andy
ss6
Brad, I thought the big hoo-ya for the hot wire airflow sensors was that they eliminate the slight throttle lag that you get while the engine is trying to suck the MAF flapper open a little more. The newer P-cars use them over the flappers, don't they?

BTW, I think Steve's problem is that he is using *white* drain pipe - everyone knows Porsche uses black drain pipe cool_shades.gif
Mueller
I thought the big hoo-ya for the hot wire airflow sensors was that they eliminate the slight throttle lag that you

I think the real reason was/is cost, the hot-wire has less parts and should cost much less than the flapper door assembly.

Andy,

034 EFI

check out this site.....very similar in concept to KitCarlsons EFI as well as Megasquirt.......I've been following his products since the first I first saw it and it's pretty interesting that his EFI has matured at the same pace/time as the Megasquirt smile.gif

He says it is not based on Megasquirt, but I have not dug into it too much...even if it is, he is still doing a great job with the Software, instructions and all the other headaches that go along with taking something to market.

Not sure if you saw this table or not......

A Comparison of Fuel management Schemes.
Steve
QUOTE(ss6 @ Nov 18 2003, 02:17 PM)
Brad, I thought the big hoo-ya for the hot wire airflow sensors was that they eliminate the slight throttle lag that you get while the engine is trying to suck the MAF flapper open a little more. The newer P-cars use them over the flappers, don't they?

BTW, I think Steve's problem is that he is using *white* drain pipe - everyone knows Porsche uses black drain pipe cool_shades.gif

I need to stop shopping at Home Depot for my conversion projects.
All they have is white sewer and drain pipes.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.