Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting trend im seeing..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Im seeing a lot of people get out of their 914's right now.. A lot of the really nice cars...

"priorities have changed"...

Funny thing is.. I almost said "screw it... i'll get me an R/S4..." But now I think the market value is going to diminish....

Anyone want to comment?

We all know the reason... But its interesting how the ownership of this car was more than the bond between the car and the person..
mrhurtalot
im pretty sure ill keep my car till my grand kids get to drive it.

even if the rear trunk rots off.

btw.... im 18 so that will be a while. im hoping for kids when im 30. so... 11+30+16 in 57 years my grand kid will be driving my teener. and ill be 75...
DBCooper
I noticed the same thing, which to me shows the importance of "community" in the whole ownership thing. It's not just the car, but the car and everything that goes with it. Unfortunately I'm not in the market right now. But I guest I COULD be, if I were tempted well enough.
TINCAN914
I don't see such a spike in 914 's going up... Of course I'm only looking on ebay. I think it's just with everything that has happened here over the last 2 weeks, it's more a psychological thing then reality. I might be wrong. Anywho, I'm not selling mine, it will eventually become my sons car. We have worked on it together, I can't sell it without him agreeing... beerchug.gif
pcar916
Likely my Penelope will be around until I croak. I have too many wonderful dreaming, planning, and fabrication hours to let her go. That car has been a 12 year project with so many great memories, it's hard to imagine not having her in my garage. If one's got to go it'll be the 911... Great car but not as much fun to drive.

When I'm finally out of the picture, I have several friends (also Porschephyles and racers) who have captured the "Rights of 1st refusal". The car will go to someone "in the family." Besides she's busy.

My daughters have to show me they can handle her on the autocross course before they can log any significant time in a passenger car. They've grown up in that passenger bucket and thought most cars had 5-pt harnesses. Things do change but...

There is a pretty large group of dyed-in-the-wool Teeners, and we can only hope to retain the friendship of those who lose the desire to tinker with them.
ejm
Although I haven't noticed an increase I doubt the community events of the last couple of weeks has anything to do with the number of cars for sale. More likely is the time of year. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas many people review thier family and financial situation and start planning for next year.

When I got my first 914 there was no internet and I didn't know anyone who had one. As long as there are twisty roads I will have a 914.

bob

Me too! I got my 914 25 years ago... I'll keep it another 25....

-bob
rhodyguy
i think some folk's wives want to park their vehicle in the garage this coming year. in the giving spirit, the silver car is under the carport, wearing one of those generic costco covers and a blue poly-tarp overcoat.

k
boxstr
Sorry to pop your bubble but the club sites haven't had any influence on the selling of 25+ 914s that I did this past year.
People knew about the club sites, but it in no way influenced their purchase or their sale of a 914.
I did see more 914-6s coming out up for sale. I sold more 914-8s than ever before, 5.
The prices are going up. Ebay has not been an influence on the prices, it is the condition of the car. If it is a really nice car, with great paint and stock interior and exterior, those 914-4s will bring a higher price.
If it is a 914-6 then the more it is stock the more a buyer is willing to pay for that car.
Altered 914s, flared cars or 6 or 8 conversions, have fallen under the same tent. Condition, is everything. It can have flares and a a big 6 or 8 cylinder motor and if the conditon of the car is to a higher standard then the buyer is willing to step up and pay the price.
If you think you are going to sell every 914 and make big bucks just because it is a 914, sorry that won't happen.
Cars that need work are just that a monye pit and peiple realize that and they buy them for what they are, projects cars. Sellers will either sell them for wha the buyer is willing to pay oir sit on it, and try ebay or craigslist, or one of the many club site classifieds.
Just some observations from 2006 at CAMP 914.
CCLINMARKETLETTER
Joe Bob
Nothing new with me....it's kinda like therapy. Working on them, driving them and then selling them....

I've had like 29 914s since 1992.....the one I STILL lust for is my first one. The ROCKET is out in Santa Clarita and the owner won't sell it back.....

I've had six conversions not including a V8....all have been fun. I've chopped up and parted out 5-6......

It's an addiction.
Eric Taylor
I do have to say that the shutdown of the club site really deminished my desire to build my hot rod. What I really get out of all of this is the planning. I really like to figure out exactly what would be best and how to do it. When the project is done it's really not as fun any more. With the club site I can live vicariously through other people projects until I have the time and money to do my own. Watching other peoples projects gives great ideas on what I want to do and how to do them. In the past 10 days I really thought, screw it I'll just get a boxster, 350z, audi, etc. and haul ass in that every day instead of taking years to build this old car. Without the club i'm all alone with only a few ideas and it's not really as much fun. Anyway just an observation on the connection between the cars and the community.
Coy
I bought my first 914 about 20 years ago and sold it after just 3 years because I was spending too much $ on it and we wanted my wife to quit working for a few years because we were planning on having kids. At the time, I didn't have any place to store it indoors. For 17 years I missed that car more than any other toy I've ever had.
I bought my latest one 2 years ago and I can fit it, two motorcycles and a my wifes car in the garage all at the same time ("You have to be really careful getting in and out of Mommy's car kids..."). Oh; and I can't get the bikes out without moving a car first, but it 's all good! As long as I can crawl underneath it, I won't be selling my 914. If it's not running right now, I can fix it when I have time/money. It's not my only rig, but it'll always be my favorite rig.

biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 24 2006, 02:49 AM) *

Im seeing a lot of people get out of their 914's right now.. A lot of the really nice cars...

"priorities have changed"...

Funny thing is.. I almost said "screw it... i'll get me an R/S4..." But now I think the market value is going to diminish....

Anyone want to comment?

We all know the reason... But its interesting how the ownership of this car was more than the bond between the car and the person..

I have $500 cash burning a hole in my pocket. Want to sell your car to me before value plumets to almost nothing? biggrin.gif Consider this quickly as I'm also having fleeting thoughts of selling all my worldy possesions and taking up a monastic lifestyle due to the cosmic tear this whole 914club breakup has caused.
Andyrew
hehe.. you could point to any part of it, and in 3 parts that connect to it I could say how it cost me more than $500 lol...

No Grant... you dont want it anyways...
VaccaRabite
There are always a passel of 914s for sale. I don't know that thre are any more then what is normal for sale right now.

Zach
matthepcat
Let's be honest here. Most of our 914's are for sale for the correct price.

bigkensteele
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jan 27 2012, 07:19 PM) *

Not sure what you were searching on, but you found an old thread, my man. I wish that we could go back to the economy of 2006 drunk.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 24 2006, 08:24 AM) *

Although I haven't noticed an increase I doubt the community events of the last couple of weeks has anything to do with the number of cars for sale. More likely is the time of year. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas many people review thier family and financial situation and start planning for next year.

When I got my first 914 there was no internet and I didn't know anyone who had one. As long as there are twisty roads I will have a 914.

agree.gif I've had a 914 longer than I've been on the internet. Actually, I've noticed a drop in 914's listed for sale. Ebay used to have 3 pages of them last year and the year before. I think you guys are reading something into this that isn't there.
VaccaRabite
6 year bump?
Really?
Woody
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 27 2012, 10:42 PM) *

6 year bump?
Really?

screwy.gif popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
Rickelstilskin just woke up. biggrin.gif
matthepcat
I had a bourbon moment. Sorry guys.

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 27 2012, 07:45 PM) *

Not sure what you were searching on, but you found an old thread, my man. I wish that we could go back to the economy of 2006 drunk.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2012, 11:32 PM) *

Rickelstilskin just woke up. biggrin.gif

WTF.gif owned.gif confused24.gif Sheeze! Ya gotta check the date on every post now? WTF.gif
tavoman27
I got my 914 because my uncle give me that scary ride that became an addiction, I was 17 and had no money... I told him that if he ever wanted to sell the car I wanted first pick... I got the car in 2008 after a 14 year wait, nothing is more pleasant or satisfying than driving the little 914 down the freeway and enjoy the top off and the air in my face... with style... all my toys can go but not the 914 and that's including my 3.8L 993.
MDG
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 25 2006, 08:46 AM) *

There are always a passel of 914s for sale. I don't know that thre are any more then what is normal for sale right now.

Zach

Look at the big words Zach used to use. Passel? Wow!

Of course in the very next sentence he spells 'there' wrong but hey . . . .
majkos
Shhh! hide.gif
Woody
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 28 2012, 08:17 AM) *

Zach

Who let you out of the sandbox? poke.gif
914.SBC

I agree...I know mine is. In fact, all my cars are for sale for the right price. I like building them and then driving them for a while. I get board and want a new toy. But...I grow fonder and fonder of the 914 everytime I drive it. Something about a 914 powered by Chevy that intrigues many people.
MDG
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 28 2012, 08:56 PM) *

Zach

Came over to check out Eric's car and decided to hang around a bit. Scotty and Dave are here too.
Woody
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 28 2012, 08:53 PM) *

Zach

Came over to check out Eric's car and decided to hang around a bit. Scotty

and Dave are here too.

Screw that, I'm outta here.
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 28 2012, 06:53 PM) *

Zach

Came over to check out Eric's car and decided to hang around a bit. Scotty and Dave are here too.

Erc kicked me oot dry.gif
Woody
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 28 2012, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 28 2012, 06:53 PM) *

Zach

Erc kicked me oot dry.gif

huh.gif ent nothing to cry aboot I guess. I hear he may have left his, er the back door open again.
MDG
I just noticed in Zach's reply he also used "then" when he should have used "than".

slap.gif
balljoint
Zach had to stop using "passel" on the same day El Guapo made him stop using "plethora".
VaccaRabite
Eh - it was 2006. I've grown since then and in-browser spell checkers have gotten better too.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 29 2012, 09:17 AM) *

Zach had to stop using "passel" on the same day El Guapo made him stop using "plethora".

My usage of passel was correct, unless there is a Canadian definition I am not currently aware of.

Zach
EdwardBlume
I can use it in sentence..... Like I will buy any 914 / 6 at a 2006 price... Including from a Canadian passel like Eric. driving-girl.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 29 2012, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 29 2012, 09:17 AM) *

My usage of passel was correct, unless there is a Canadian definition I am not currently aware of.

Zach

I agree. So what was El Guapo's problem with you then?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.