Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The fact I didn't have to "re-register"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Nicely done! biggrin.gif

My sincere thanks for all the hard work and heartache that got you guys here, and I was very happy to see the content split -- a fair and equitable solution from my finite perspective...

pete

Now Eric, where were we? confused24.gif I think I was about to PM you on the pull handles to say: yes!
Eric_Shea
Yes indeed Put... err Pete biggrin.gif

Welcome Home Bro! smilie_pokal.gif

Send me an address wink.gif

seanery
hey Pete! wavey.gif nice to see you here!!
Rusty
Cool... welcome, Pete! clap56.gif
Aaron Cox
pete - i tried to email you about 2 weeks ago... but i didnt have a current one for ya.

glad you are here
AA
rick 918-S
I will be here and at the NARP. Nice to see you post Pete.
rhodyguy
the 02/07 issue is first rate pete. you guys that are still buying off the magazine rack are crazy.

k
Brent
Exce11ent Pete!
914werke
Hey Pete I as well just got my FEB issue and was interested in the chronology of covers artical smile.gif But one Q: Why has there never been a cover with a 914 on it?
I see a 924 ... but no Teener?
carreraguy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 24 2006, 01:30 PM) *

the 02/07 issue is first rate pete. you guys that are still buying off the magazine rack are crazy.

k

agree.gif I really like the 20th Anniversary issue - great articles!
carreraguy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 24 2006, 01:30 PM) *

k

agree.gif I really like the 20th Anniversary issue - great articles!
rick 918-S
I haven't got mine yet.... sad.gif Too many christmas cards bogging down the mail system.
ThinAir
Pete, I wish there was a way for you to do a story on the events of the last two weeks to show the passion of 914 owners for their cars and their hobby. I doubt that it could be done in a way that would make it sound positive, but if there is a way then I'm sure you could do it. I doubt that any other Porsche community would fight like this for their community.
horizontally-opposed
Man are you guys right about the passion of 914ers. I was surprised to see how much of it was in me, too. For a quick minute, in total disgust, I thought about selling my car (which I've owned since I was 15) and then thought that was totally ridiculous -- laughable, even.

Then I saw people I know, respect, and like from 914club.com voice what I had thought. What that told me is that this community really is populated with people with a strong connection to the 914 and its basic design premise. They "connect" with it in a way that few other car enthusiasts do with their cars. Very few.

Yep, it's just a car -- but for some reason these little cars sure are wonderful to build, drive, work on, think about, and dream on. And they can take you a long ways, or a long ways away.

Thanks for the compliments on the Feb issue. I poured more of my soul into that one than any previous issue. And was holding onto the 916 article all this time for that. Well, for that and another reason I shouldn't talk about....

Maybe I can get all of the slides scanned and post them in a thread. I only wish I had been shooting digital back then.

Oh, and while 914s HAVE been on the cover (the smaller photo, and at least three have made it) we've found that old cars (as the main image) just don't sell magazines on the newsstand. That's why you see so many old Porsches on the covers up until about 1997 and then a little after. Something like Yellow Bird *might* sell magazines, but then there aren't too many of those kinds of old "Porsches," and even then the target audience on the newsstand is too young to really remember 1988. Which makes ME feel old...

As for 914 content, I feel like I am always pulling off a bit of a coup to cover as many as we do. I don't *think* and other Porsche mag has done more for the 914 than Excellence -- but I can't take credit for that. It started with David Colman from the very beginning. The 356/912, 914, and 911 crowds are simply put, the most ardent and enduring (esp. in terms of numbers) of all of them.

My biggest worry is serving the 928 and 924/944/968 crowd. Very hard to do, because the amount of cool cars being built continues to dwindle...

Finally, I find the cover progression to be fascintating, too. You can see the early days when Tom wouldn't put ANY text on the covers (just a pretty picture, well, hopefully) and then spastic amounts of text on hideous covers, then a return of a "main" image, etc.

pete

p.s. Aaron, you can get me anytime at letters@excellence-mag.com, as it goes right to my email box anyway! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.