Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have any experience with this part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I have to do some serious steel work because of the damn battery and I'd rather never have to do it again. welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Does anyone have any experience with this part from AA (lower picture)

Click to view attachment

It is definitely different than the original with those deep ribs
obscurity
icon_bump.gif

Surely someone has used one of these replacement panels
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(obscurity @ Dec 24 2006, 03:46 PM) *

I have to do some serious steel work because of the damn battery and I'd rather never have to do it again. welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Does anyone have any experience with this part from AA (lower picture)

Click to view attachment

It is definitely different than the original with those deep ribs

The AA part is meant to patch the existing panel. If you want the correct parts to do it right, try restoration design. The sell replacement body panels for 914s.

Have you pulled the rockers and checked for rust there?

obscurity
The AA part is meant to patch the existing panel. If you want the correct parts to do it right, try restoration design. The sell replacement body panels for 914s.

I looked at restoration designs web page but they don't seem to carry it. I have not been able to call them yet due to the holidays but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

It makes more sense as a patch panel rather than a replacement with the ribs and I was really hoping for more of a factory look but I am a little skeptical about finding the part on a cut up parts car since it is the most likely area to rust. I was really hoping that someone would make it since I think it is beyond my fabrication skills and facilities

Have you pulled the rockers and checked for rust there?

I have not yet pulled the rockers but I feel confident that there is at least some rust there.
Eric_Shea
John,

Get a commitment that the part is in-stock, like THEY ACTUALLY HAVE IT. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't be concerned with the piece as much as I would the vendor.

I'm seeing your inner logitudinal and I see surface rust. Is it through? Have you tried blasting that area clean (you'll have to to weld there anyway).

Mark Bland (Engman) makes a nice "hell hole" kit and R-D makes the shelf for that side. I would look into that combo for your repair.
obscurity
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 26 2006, 11:45 AM) *

John,

Get a commitment that the part is in-stock, like THEY ACTUALLY HAVE IT. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't be concerned with the piece as much as I would the vendor.

I'm seeing your inner logitudinal and I see surface rust. Is it through? Have you tried blasting that area clean (you'll have to to weld there anyway).

Mark Bland (Engman) makes a nice "hell hole" kit and R-D makes the shelf for that side. I would look into that combo for your repair.

I try to not order from AA. I go in to the shop and buy the piece first hand so my experiences have not been bad.

The inner longitudinal (I hope my terminology is right) does not appear to be rusted through (on the sides) but it is rusted badly and I plan to replace much of it. I guess I should get a sand blaster and clean it all up before I cut any more out of it. I will look into engmans hell hole kit but I fear it will not be extensive enough.

Click to view attachment

As you can see the "dogleg" to the left of the engine mount is gone, top and bottom with some heavy scale on the sides. A PO did some repairs but his primary concern seems to have been covering the holes rather than fixing structural weak points.

I'm starting to think that I may have to just fabricate the parts I need from scratch, I guess it may be time to learn a new skill.

Hopefully this post isn't too discombobulated(sp)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.