Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a miss at 3k and above
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
Coming off a fresh 2056 rebuild. I have a miss, stumble, hesitation coming in over 3k rpms. The timing is correct. I have a recently installed Crane xr700, which I believe to be setup correctly. I removed the dizzy for a clean up and lube, the miss persists.

Any thoughts?

Oh, Merry Christmas!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(blitZ @ Dec 24 2006, 02:39 PM) *

Coming off a fresh 2056 rebuild. I have a miss, stumble, hesitation coming in over 3k rpms. The timing is correct. I have a recently installed Crane xr700, which I believe to be setup correctly. I removed the dizzy for a clean up and lube, the miss persists.

Any thoughts?

Oh, Merry Christmas!!

Carbs or EFI?

If it is carbs I wonder if the Weber 44s might have a transition lean condition the way the triple throat 40s can.
blitZ
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 24 2006, 05:52 PM) *

Carbs or EFI?

If it is carbs I wonder if the Weber 44s might have a transition lean condition the way the triple throat 40s can.

Should have mentioned, it's stock Djet.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(blitZ @ Dec 24 2006, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 24 2006, 05:52 PM) *

Carbs or EFI?

Should have mentioned, it's stock Djet.

Ahhh... I am not sure if he hangs here or not post the cold December blow-up but perhaps you need a recalibration of your MPS...
Look for Geoff Bleyseng, Bleyseng on the site. He can do that deed.

Rob
TravisNeff
Your probably having trouble with your FI points or your advance plate in the dizzy
nebreitling
of course, sort through your ignition first.

i had this problem on my old d-jet car at 3900 rpm -- replacing the mps ended up doing the trick.
Bleyseng
I just send him back a MPS that I reworked so maybe weak spark? trigger points?
DBCooper
Points first, then wires, coil, cap.
blitZ
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 25 2006, 05:15 AM) *

I just send him back a MPS that I reworked so maybe weak spark? trigger points?

I checked the FI trigger points when I had the dizzy apart, they seemed fine. The cap , rotor and wires are relatively new. The car came with a Flamethrower coil. Are these any good? Could it be going bad?
Bleyseng
Is it missing just at 3900 or above 3900? sad.gif

That MPS I reworked worked sweet in my car sooo its should be fine in yours but stranger things have happened.
william harris
Don't forget the throttle position sensor or switch. beerchug.gif
crash914
I go for trigger points.

then for tps

then for temp sensor...

you did check your dwell??
blitZ
It's missing at 3000 on up, just keeps stumbling upward. The advance plates seem to be moving freely. How do you tell if the FI trigger is bad? I checked them out when I had the dizzy apart, they looked fine to me.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(blitZ @ Dec 25 2006, 07:17 PM) *

It's missing at 3000 on up, just keeps stumbling upward. The advance plates seem to be moving freely. How do you tell if the FI trigger is bad? I checked them out when I had the dizzy apart, they looked fine to me.

Look for pitting on the contacts but also for equal movement and spring pressure as they do stick so the injector firing is fouled. You don't have a extra set? I assume that you already have had the injectors cleaned and checked.
jk76.914
Are you using a stock cam?

Also, what's your fuel pressure setting?

I had a very similar problem after my rebuild, and tried EVERYTHING! Turned out it was a lean miss. I had rebuilt to stock 2.0L (euro pistons) but with a modified cam.

Jim
rmital
QUOTE(william harris @ Dec 25 2006, 12:54 PM) *

Don't forget the throttle position sensor or switch. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
blitZ
I'm sure the MPS is good, this is a Bleysing model. I have a permanent fuel pressure gauge and the pressure is at 29 lbs. I reset the TPS and timing and the miss still exists. The injectors were refurbished by cruising performance shortly before the rebuild.

The car runs great, idles smooth has lots of low end grunt. It just starts missing at higher rpms and won't climb past 4200 or so. The trigger points are not pitted and I had no miss before the rebuild. I hate to start thowing parts at it.

Anything else to check??

My CR is up to 9.2 from the rebuild. Could I need more spark? The car came with a Flame thrower coil. Is it compatible with the Crane Optical?
blitZ
YES!!!!!

After a great deal of grief resetting, rechecking every item I could think of, I finally found the freaking problem. The screw holding the FI grounds was loose. I visually inspected it, of course it looked fine. Yesterday, I reach done and it was not quite snug. Tighterned it up, took it for a spin, car runs great.

Felt like jumping for joy and kicking myself in the ass at the same time.

Thanks for the responses.
rmital
smilie_pokal.gif
BigDBass
smilie_pokal.gif Glad to hear it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.