Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Give me a hand!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nyum96
I think I graduated from a JR. Mechanic to a middleweight. After 3 long weeks, my simple transmission rebuild turned into a complete rearend rebuild, minus the engine. So, first gear would grind, so would reverse. This is what resulted:

New rear wheel bearings (not fun)
New Flywheel (had to buy air compressor, good justification)
New clutch, etc (rivits where wearing into flywheel and suppot fork broken in half)new 6-spring
New syncro, (teeth were fine)
New Clutch cable (w/rubber scrunchie thing on tranny)
New speedometer cable (next to install)
New Hardware all around (expensive!)
Clean, sanded, undercoated entire car, including wheel wells
Added oil cooler (oil lines match car, guards red)
Sanded, cleaned and painted entire exhaust system with flat black paint
New alternator power wire (original finally cracked in half)
Added self made grounding kit
Heat shrunk ALL connections in rear half of car with heat resistant heat shrink (the kind that seals when heated)

cleaned and repacked cv's. (a box of rags later)
New CV hardware
Adjusted all brake calipers (with -in specs)
Installed new brake warning switch
Installed bump steer kit
Replaced foglight bulb
Everything retorqed to specs
New bushings from front to rear (shifting)
Painted tanny. after I cleaned and sanded (alum. color)

Supplies bought:

Air compressor clap56.gif
Serious impact gun (600 torq pounds) clap56.gif
2 boxes of rags
box of rubber gloves
12 point kit (cv joints)
Torq wrench clap56.gif
bandaids
Box of TIDE
10 white, now black shirts

So I know I've felt a lot out. Did I graduate to the next level of mechanic? confused24.gif

Soo many people thought I couldnt do it. Whats ironic is I rallied everyone I knew for the "turn key" final. The car wouldnt start. Lots of laughs! No electricity to fuel pump. BUT 2 hours later it was running. The FI ground wire came off. She started with a wimper and now roars! The shifting improvement and transmission is night and day!

With-in these 5 weeks I went through the Factiry shop manual and everything else I could think of to make sure I got the correct parts. I installed parts that I didnt know existed! PO shortcuts! Tonight I can sleep and dream of tomorrows adventure.

Next up is the relocation of the relocated fuel pump. You read that right. It going into the front trunk from under the steering rack. Not to mention a new fuel pump, ready for installation! I do have a new car!

Time for a party? beerchug.gif

Barry
SirAndy
welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif

i brought my car to brad's shop 1 1/2 years ago because the clutch was slipping. turned out to be the tranny mainshaft seal leaking oil into the clutch. from there it turned into a complete car restauration with countless hours and material and $$$ spent.

and guess what? a little bit over a year later, with EVERY single nut on the car at least turned once, i now have to drop the engine/tranny again, because the damm thing is still leaking. headbang.gif

gotta love those cars, wub.gif
Andy
rhodyguy
barry, nice work in 3 weeks smilie_pokal.gif . i know you learn alot about you car when you are underneath it for days on end. it's hard to stop doing that one more thing. it's known as "dirk wright desease". when you see "dwd" now you will know exactly what someone is talking about.

kevin
"waiting for the inevitable relapse"
trojanhorsepower
Congratulations Barry! smilie_pokal.gif

You the man. I would like to do my trany sometime, but for now I don’t have the nerve.
I am currently building my 2.0L motor and am well on my way through the long block stage (just get these damn rockers worked out).

What exactly did you do to your trany?

-Pete
Aaron Cox
way cool .... smilie_pokal.gif

oh and heres a hand clap56.gif
sj914
and guess what? a little bit over a year later, with EVERY single nut on the car at least turned once, i now have to drop the engine/tranny again, because the damm thing is still leaking.  

Maybe it's a good time for that 3.2/6 conversion. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sj914 @ Nov 16 2003, 07:29 PM)
Maybe it's a good time for that 3.2/6 conversion. smile.gif

i know, i know. all i need is some scrilla ... sad.gif
nyum96
The tranny is what started it all. I was going to do a simple 1st and second syncro. Turns out it had already had this done in its lifetime. The first gear was worn but just enough to grind once and a while. I had problems putting it all back together because everything fell off when I opened the case. When I took out first gear, everything fell on the floor and I was too busy covering my eyes from the massive oil and parts falling resulting in me know observing the mechanics of it all. I pulled the tranny to take a closer look because when I tightened everything down, it locked the tranny. Needless to say, I had the thrust washer in the wrong place.

Since the tranny was out, I saw the clutch and retainer fork and wiped my head because the clutch could of went, anytime. It was that close.

I wouldnt be scared of the tranny. AA wanted $600 just to look at it and than the DR. laughed and said that if anything else was wrong, that would be extra." "I'm not trying to screw ya." Those were his words. Thats when I desided to do it myself. The tranny is not difficult. Once out, have the right tools, and a bench (I didnt) Its fine.

Thanks for the congrads.

Its wings and beer tonight!

Barry
GWN7
congrats smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.