Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help in Dayton Ohio needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
i could really use the help from someone who has set valves on a 911 motor. I have to set my valves and have never done it.

if you live in or near Dayton and wouldn't mind helping me for a couple hours I would appreciate it.

seanery
I wish I knew how - I'd come join ya! But alas, I'm clueless wacko.gif
John
Have you ever set valves in anything yet?

It's really not much more difficult than a 4-cyl, except there are a bunch of bolts holding on the valve covers. Same basic steps required.

The only special tool that I can think of is the special bent feeler gauge. It makes life a whole lot easier when trying to get under the swivel/elephant feet.

You are lucky. Your engine is not in a car. Try learning how to do it with the engine installed in a 911.......

I can't be there to help, but I can always give free advice.
dflesburg
I have the tool.

I have the instructions.

I can't find the markings on my pulley cause I cut half of it off.

I never set valves on anything before.

I believe I could find TDC by taking off the distributor cap, but spent all my money on this engine and don't want to do it wrong.

I am afraid of messing it up.
ejm
I can't find the markings on my pulley cause I cut half of it off.

From the Haynes 911 manual:
The piston TDC positions are marked on the edge of the pulley wheel but if preferred, the crankshaft can be rotated and the valve of the particular cylinder observed to see when they are closed.

Basicly you make sure the rocker is on the base of the lobe for the valve you're adjusting. Run through it once checking clearances before you make changes. If this is a running engine most adjustments should be small

Why did you cut the pulley?
John
I think that the notches should be on the back of the pulley (closest to the case). There are 3 notches. (NOT ON THE AC PULLEY THAT YOU CUT OFF)

When one of the notches aligns with the case seam, one of the pistons is at TDC.

Take another look at the pulley and look for 3 tiny notches (they look like saw cuts). The notches are 120 degrees apart (3 X 120 = 360).

If you really don't have notches, take a pic and post it here. (i want to see a pulley with no notches)

dflesburg
LOL,

You know I can't see or hear anymore. The Who gave me hearing loss, what was it mom said about my vision going bad.... ?

I will look more closely.
John
Did you find the natchos?
dflesburg
Yes, I have nachos. How do I figure out what to do with them?
newto914s
these might help.
pelican tech 1
tech 2
I would have been around to help you out, but their was this little snow storm in Denver. Apperently they close the airport when it snows in Colorado headbang.gif
Samson
John
Remove all valve covers and spark plugs (it makes turning the engine over easier).

You find TDC (compression stroke) #1 cyl. One of the notches will be aligned with the engine case.

With a cold engine (yours hasn't run for quite some time, so we will assume it is cold), insert the feeler gauge between the swivel elephant foot and the end of the valve stem. If it is loose, tighten it by loosening the jam nut and screwing in the adjuster until you can just move and insert the feeler gauge. If it is too tight to insert the feeler gauge, loosen it until you can insert the feeler gauge. When adjusted, tighten the jam nut.

Do this with both valves on #1 cylinder.

When complete with #1 cylinder, turn the engine in the direction of rotation (hint the fan sucks air in and blows it over the alternator and cylinders) until the next notch lines up with the crankcase seam.

This will bring the next cylinder to TDC compression stroke (check the firing order and go do that cylinder).

Keep doing this to all 6 cylinders (it will take 2 revolutions of the crankshaft to do them all).

Reinstall your valve covers and spark plugs.

Your books should also provide some directions/instructions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.