Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installed my Renn Shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pffft
The shifter is beautiful. Had to wait for a firewall shifter bushing (tail to side shifter) to get here before I installed the shifter. Good fun, installing that bushing.
Highly recommended....... mad.gif
Anyway, shifter goes in really easily, and setup isn't bad at all. Had it usable within
and hour. Took it for a test drive with a wrench or two for fine tuning. Saturday I
took it out for a real drive, and loved it. Coming up to an intesection I went down
through all the gears without even thinking about it, which is something I don't
think I have ever done in 15 years of driving these cars. And 1st to 2nd is a no
brainer. Really, it shifts like a real car. Kinda clunky compared to a new car,
maybe, but it goes into the gear you want without having to think about it.
What a great product. smilie_pokal.gif

patrick
zymurgist
The Rennshifter is a work of art. Way nicer than the stamped steel VW parts box look and feel of the original unit. I scored a lightly used Rennshifter on eBay for my taildragger back in November (and to this day I wonder why anyone would ever want to sell one, once having used it). Finally installed it 2 weeks ago, and it is a real improvement. I love the fore/aft adjustable stops (which I need because I have a 915 in an original 901 car) as well as the springs that make the shifter go toward the center plane.

May have to get one for Babydoll... once we get the ignition working the way it's supposed to, that is...
736conver
They are awesome units. I loved mine before I sold the car.

Also highly recommended
jim_hoyland
agree.gif Best upgrade I ever did and made the biggest difference is daily driving !
r_towle
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
I've found with my cars that an adjusted, newly-bushed shift linkage/shifter works well. Shifting becomes a martial art, finessed and refined.

But there are times when I wanna jam that bitch into gear NOW!, so I can't wait for the day I can buy one biggrin.gif I haven't heard one complaint yet.
BGman
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Dec 27 2006, 10:38 AM) *

I've found with my cars that an adjusted, newly-bushed shift linkage/shifter works well. Shifting becomes a martial art, finessed and refined.

But there are times when I wanna jam that bitch into gear NOW!, so I can't wait for the day I can buy one biggrin.gif I haven't heard one complaint yet.

I am the same way. My 75 shifts pretty well....which makes me wonder how much improvement can there be? Yes you have to be...lets say....gentle when shifting (as you said finesse), and you just cannot jam-it into a gear.....but I assume that is a function of the tranny- not the shifter itself.

This is probably one of those- "you just have to try it for yourself" kind of items.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.