Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting my 1st one this week!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I'm picking up my first 914, a '74 1.8. I'll be the 3rd owner. The guy I'm buying it from bought it in 1976. He's had it stored the last 4 yrs in a barn. He says he hasn't started it in over 2 yrs. I'm trying to figure out how to tackle this project. My goal is to do as much of the work myself and then have my autobody guy finish the body work and paint it.

I'm getting the car cheap so if it turns into a parts car, that's fine. I think my 1st step is to remove the seats, carpeting, door sills and really investigate the rust situation. The car has typical rust in the rockers, the driver's fender is dented. The trunks are rust-free. There is a rust spot next to the inside of each door latch (not sure if this is bad or really bad). The battery tray has rust holes in it, but below looks good. The shock towers in the rear trunk are mint. The FI is there. Looks like no mods of any kind. Original Delphi Green paint.

Assuming the car is restoration worthy, I'd like to try and get the engine running and see how it shifts. If I can do that, then I'd probably start going thru the brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, suspension, etc.

Does this make sense? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
echocanyons
welcome.png

Sound like youve got some work to do.

Shifting is best achieved with good bushings, start with replacing all of them!

Any pictures?
biosurfer1
if you're not concerned with time, I have a suggestion about the paint and body. If there is a community college around you, they might offer some automotive tech classes, which usually include paint and bodywork. I have taken two through American River College in Sacramento and they are great. You dont have to take them for cedit which means you dont have to take tests/finals (which arnt hard anyways) and they give you everything you need to complete most projects, materials included. Last semester the class was $45 bucks, wednesday nights for 4 hours starting at 6pm, so it didnt get in the way of work.

There are guys there who have been doing paint/bodywork for years and can help out whenever you need it...great resources, plus you learn a lot.
erikstoll
welcome to the club, and pics are a must smile.gif
ejm
Hi Chris wavey.gif

Good talking to you this morning... glad to see you here

You have my cell # ... I'd be more than happy to look at the car
r_towle
Hey,
Where r u located?

Rich
william harris
OK newbie, the Massachusetts 914 brigade wants to know where you are located. Report in. driving.gif
Cevan
Granby, Mass.

I plan on documenting the whole ordeal so I'll post the before pics soon.
william harris
OK, I see that's north of Springfield. When you inviting us over? I'll bring the beer. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.