Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Rennsport Reunion III
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
I was on the Speed TV website checking auto racing news and ran across this article concerning Rennsport Reunion III at Daytona, November 2-4, 2007. Featured cars will be the 917 and 956/962. Woo-hoo! Hope the weather is good!

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/more/34534/
URY914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 27 2006, 06:03 AM) *

I was on the Speed TV website checking auto racing news and ran across this article concerning Rennsport Reunion III at Daytona, November 2-4, 2007. Featured cars will be the 917 and 956/962. Woo-hoo! Hope the weather is good!

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/more/34534/

They called and asked me to do a PINKS with my car and the 917/30 in an autocross on the pit lane. I told them to get a notary there that reads German.
race914
Went to Porsche Rennsport Reunion II. It was awesome...

I've got some video somewhere of the 962s leaving the pits for the track. The sound was incredible. Also have a picture of the Turbo Cab that was crashed while giving rides to the press. They hauled that back and threw a tarp over it very quickly. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see it hauled in off the track.

Just reserved rooms and flights for III!
SGB
Where did you reserve your rooms? My favorite place wasn't booking for it yet (?) maybe they had to figure out the gouge factor...
race914
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 27 2006, 06:21 PM) *

Where did you reserve your rooms? My favorite place wasn't booking for it yet (?) maybe they had to figure out the gouge factor...

The Marriott Courtyard on Richard Petty Dr. Stayed there in for II and it worked out great. And I agree about planning ahead, we wanted to beat the 'gouge' factor so we booked way early.
indydad
The link went to Speed TV and the caption read "the 917 will be featured" but the photo sure looks like a 907 or 08. I guess nobody at the NASCAR channel would catch that!
I would love to go to III. Hurricane season that time though. I probably would drive down.
Old dad in INDY
maf914
QUOTE(indydad @ Dec 28 2006, 09:37 AM) *

The link went to Speed TV and the caption read "the 917 will be featured" but the photo sure looks like a 907 or 08. I guess nobody at the NASCAR channel would catch that!

I also noticed the car in the photo wasn't a 917 and briefly thought about sending Speed an E-mail. Very briefly. laugh.gif
maf914
QUOTE(race914 @ Dec 28 2006, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 27 2006, 06:21 PM) *

The Marriott Courtyard on Richard Petty Dr. Stayed there in for II and it worked out great. And I agree about planning ahead, we wanted to beat the 'gouge' factor so we booked way early.

We typically stay in the Marriott and Hampton motel chains. We checked Marriott but ended up booking a Hampton at Ormond Beach and Interstate 95 where we have stayed several times before. We also have a reservation there for the 24 Hours weekend 25-28 January.
gregrobbins
Paul, there were two Penske 914-30s. One is in the factory museum, the other is privately owned in the US. Here is a link to a web site for the six 914-30s that were produced: http://www.cknet.org.uk/html/917_30.asp

The photo in the link is indeed a 917. In 1969 the cars had a body shape similar to the 910 that needed aerodymanics for more speed with the low powered engines. Drivers found the cars to be a hand full at high speed. For 1970 the factory got John Wyer involved and the body was redesigned for more down force. This was known as the K car. Later the long neck or long tail version was built.

I am planning on attending. Where is the best place to fly into? Is in necessary to rent a car? Anyone know the area and recommend places to stay? I am coming from Arizona and have never been to Daytona so I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
campbellcj
It's on my calendar and sounds like a 'can't miss' event. Hopefully I can cash in some frequent flyer miles to get there free or cheap. We should arrange some kind of 914 gathering if a number of guys will be there.
URY914
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 28 2006, 10:11 PM) *

Paul, there were two Penske 914-30s. One is in the factory museum, the other is privately owned in the US. Here is a link to a web site for the six 914-30s that were produced: http://www.cknet.org.uk/html/917_30.asp

The photo in the link is indeed a 917. In 1969 the cars had a body shape similar to the 910 that needed aerodymanics for more speed with the low powered engines. Drivers found the cars to be a hand full at high speed. For 1970 the factory got John Wyer involved and the body was redesigned for more down force. This was known as the K car. Later the long neck or long tail version was built.

I am planning on attending. Where is the best place to fly into? Is in necessary to rent a car? Anyone know the area and recommend places to stay? I am coming from Arizona and have never been to Daytona so I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Greg what is a 914-30?

And the car is that SpeedTV picture is without a doubt a 907 LH. Here is a picture of the same car.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z6060/default.aspx
maf914

You could fly into the Daytona airport, which is located adjacent to the speedway, and get a taxi or shuttle to a hotel. There are several motels within walking distance of the track (try an Orbitz motel search using the track address as a starting point) and a fair number of restaurants also, as well as strip malls and an enclosed shopping mall. The beach areas are a good distance away though, if that matters to you.

If you do want a local motel you probably need to do it now, since the entrants and teams typically book these early. The prices probably won't be as high as during NASCAR events or even the 24 Hours, but may be high enough to make a rental car the logical choice to allow you to get a cheaper motel away from the track.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:31 AM) *

Greg what is a 914-30?

And the car is that SpeedTV picture is without a doubt a 907 LH. Here is a picture of the same car.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z6060/default.aspx

914s on the brain, ment 917-30

The 1969 917s had a totally different body than the K cars of 1970. Here is a shot of the lineup of the first 25. Very similar.
race914
Rennsport III is getting close!

Just checking in to see what plans are in progress to get the 914 crowd together?

Who's doing What???
URY914
The buzz is really starting up on the different boards.

I'll be there.
rwjames
I just reserved my room for Rennsport III.

I got a room at the Hampton Inn at 3135 S. Atlantic Avenue. She said they are running out of rooms there fast.

My buddy from Kentucky will be running his 914 1.8 in the Gmund group and I'll help out with the pit work. Tony "911Quest" will be the Chief Mechanic and I'll do the tire checks, keep the drinks cold and shake the farts out of the drivers Nomex underwear.

beerchug.gif
carr914
1st Daytona has got a bizillion motel rooms. Any of you guys remember Spring Break? A Bike Week?
2nd While a Super Cool event, It is still a Porsche Only, so you don't get the riff-raff of other marks fans.

URY914 and I have a room on the BEACH for $66 tax included
I will have to look at my eMails to pass along the info if anybody wants it

Gentleman Start Your Engines,

T.C.
rwjames
There are a million rooms in the area.

The last time I stayed in Daytona, it was a flea motel.

I chose the Hampton because my buddy had booked there and is more familiar with the area. About $98 per night for ocean view room. Their cheap rooms are gone.
carr914
The Pelican Guys are talking about a Buffet party, But Hell, if there's enough of us we could do the same thing, maybe a dive into a pool from the 6th Floor (please don't ask, but I know it's possible, I'm still sore.) I have a Love-Hate Relationship with Daytona. I Love the Track (wish I was wheeling something @ RennSport III), the town just makes me do CRAZY things. devil.gif

T.C.
rfuerst911sc
I'll probably go on Saturday but it's only a 45 minute drive. It's Porsche heaven !!!
campbellcj
I am still hoping to make it for at least 1 day but not sure (work is kicking my butt these days). It would be great to hook up with some familar names/faces there!
wertygrog
I'm really pumped, Im within sight of the speedway from my college campus, so ill be walking there! I can usually hear cars racing around on my way to class haha. beer.gif

Can't wait! biggrin.gif

sad.gif my teener is up in massachusetts. sad.gif
SGB
Wow this thread is back!

I am psuper psyched for this! R II was magnificent. I'll be staying at the Ramada right across from the Speedway main entrance. I'll ALWAYS have cold beer. Good to know there will be fellow delusionists on the beach. See a white 914 with Alabama plates and you'll be seeing me....
RON S.

I'll be there cheaping out at the Days Inn on Speedway Blvd.

Ron
SGB

QUOTE(RON S. @ Oct 17 2007, 06:56 AM) *

Ron

Hey Ron-
What day are you driving down? I'm neeting my brother in Columbia on the 31st and we will caravan (well if 2 cars is a caravan) down to Daytona Thursday morning. Have you figured an agenda for your travel? Maybe we could join up....
cnavarro
I'll be there, set up in the Literature Meet on Saturday. Make sure to stop by!
RON S.
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 17 2007, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(RON S. @ Oct 17 2007, 06:56 AM) *

Ron

Hey Ron-
What day are you driving down? I'm neeting my brother in Columbia on the 31st and we will caravan (well if 2 cars is a caravan) down to Daytona Thursday morning. Have you figured an agenda for your travel? Maybe we could join up....

The wife and I are probably gonna leave real early on the 1st so as to get there hopefully in time to make Thursday a nice day.Maybe 9:00 or 10ish.

I'm 5-6max hours outa Daytona.Straight down 95.Columbia is 90mins away.

Lemme Know.

Ron
Al Meredith
I'll be there Fri-Sat- Sun. I'm leaving Wife and Mother in Law at a condo in Orlando and driving in every day. I think George Hussey of Auto Atlanta is planning to take some of his cars. He is trying to line up a couple of covered trailers. If he does this would be a good place to gather since few of us know what each other look like.
carreraguy
I'll be there every day with my son and a fellow CS owner. Really looking forward to it. The dinner on Saturday should be great meeting all those 917/962 drivers! Plannng on getting a few autographs in Peter Morgan's book on the 917; "Porsche 917 The Winning Formula".
Later,
daveyboybadion
"Hi folks, I'll be here all week!" I hope the weather is good too. I'm looking forward to a break from all the Seattle cold and gray. Hope to me some of you guys on the board, I haven't made it to any of the Classics as my teener got me home from Las Vegas but isn't going anywhere else for a while. I will be hanging out with the guys from Gerber Motorsports some of the time. Can't wait...daveyboy
racerbvd
I'll be there beer.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Oct 17 2007, 10:30 AM) *

I'll be there Fri-Sat- Sun. I'm leaving Wife and Mother in Law at a condo in Orlando and driving in every day. I think George Hussey of Auto Atlanta is planning to take some of his cars. He is trying to line up a couple of covered trailers. If he does this would be a good place to gather since few of us know what each other look like.

news flash! We are not attending!
URY914
What? No 916?

Whatzup?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 17 2007, 02:49 PM) *

What? No 916?

Whatzup?

Nope no 916 no motor trend car no m-471 gt no red 76 12000 mile no 71 914-6 5000 mile car. Too much effort and expense to get them there and absolutely NO appreciation from anyone for our efforts. ESPECIALLY Porsche. Looks like they really did not care about the historic display. Seems like they in many chats with them, thought it our priviledge to be there. That is not how I see it and not the way we are ever treated as an exhibitor at the many other events we attend.
fat73
I will be there Saturday for sure.

Ed aka W9R1
jd74914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2007, 07:07 PM) *

What? No 916?

Whatzup?

Nope no 916 no motor trend car no m-471 gt no red 76 12000 mile no 71 914-6 5000 mile car. Too much effort and expense to get them there and absolutely NO appreciation from anyone for our efforts. ESPECIALLY Porsche. Looks like they really did not care about the historic display. Seems like they in many chats with them, thought it our priviledge to be there. That is not how I see it and not the way we are ever treated as an exhibitor.

No offense intended, but when is the last time you actually showed cars outside of Atlanta?
GeorgeRud
Sorry to hear that the 916 won't be there, but Porsche has never shown much enthusiasm for cars that could outshine their 911 (Watch out Cayman owners!).

My wife and I are going there for the Saturday and Sunday activities, and had to call quite a few hotels to get a room, so they are filling up.

Any other information about any get togethers are the event? Are people going to the PA dinner. We arre hoping to see some of you folks there!
horizontally-opposed
C'mon, George.

I'd say there *would* be appreciation, if not on a corporate or PCA level, then certainly on a car-guy level and the chance to cement the 914's growing popularity among the "early" Porsche people would be a service to the 914 community and, hopefully, your business, too.

That said, I'll understand if you don't want to tow 1-3 cars down for the weekend. It is a hassle. Then again, a 916 would be a mind-blower for people in the paddock. They're so rarely seen - I can virutally guarantee it'll get press.

I'll be there and would love to hook up with you guys at some point. I'll be busy as I'm actually driving this year (and... terrified), but I'd love to see/meet you guys.

Best,

pete
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 17 2007, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 17 2007, 07:07 PM) *

What? No 916?

Whatzup?

Nope no 916 no motor trend car no m-471 gt no red 76 12000 mile no 71 914-6 5000 mile car. Too much effort and expense to get them there and absolutely NO appreciation from anyone for our efforts. ESPECIALLY Porsche. Looks like they really did not care about the historic display. Seems like they in many chats with them, thought it our priviledge to be there. That is not how I see it and not the way we are ever treated as an exhibitor.

No offense intended, but when is the last time you actually showed cars outside of Atlanta?

hilton head parade in pa amelia island north georgia the guys went west a couple of years ago. The problem is for us the transportation and liability. Just cannot take a chance so transport costs the max. However I had worked that out in this case, just the hostility. That did it for me. Missed Hilton Head this year because of it.

But you know it is not like the car is hidden away like many collectors do. The car is on display here for one and all to see in our own showcase so getting it out from hiding is not an issue here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.