Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you go back
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
race914
While our Boxster (914 parts runner) was getting aligned at our mechanic, he ran it down to a nearby tire shop to get a new set of Kumho SPTs put on. This is how it came back to my mechanic from the tire shop....

Click to view attachment

Think they used enough mounting lube? Would it have been asking too much to put the valve stem cap back on?

Has anyone else experienced this complete lack in pride in workmanship??? Makes me seriously wonder how good the balance is....

Would you go back to this service provider???
DanT
Greg, not to bash, but did you or the mechanic choose the tire shop...?

time to find at least a new tire shop...I would be less than happy or impressed.
Not like you took them a taxi or rental car to do tires on.

rhodyguy
i would go back. only to point out the shoddy work to the manager and to let him my biz would be going elsewhere.

k
GeorgeRud
The trouble with many of these businesses is that they simply don't care. They know that there are enough Aunt Freds with cars that they don't really care about to keep them in business. Find the good guys and give them your business - don't get hung up on price.
race914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 27 2006, 08:34 AM) *

Greg, not to bash, but did you or the mechanic choose the tire shop...?

time to find at least a new tire shop...I would be less than happy or impressed.
Not like you took them a taxi or rental car to do tires on.

Happy Holidays Dan!

This is 'supposed to be' the upscale tire shop in San Luis Obispo that caters to the upper end cars... They do have a 'touchless' mounting machine that gives them some points.

I had used them once before and wasn't too happy with the customer service, but when our Boxster front end shake turned out to be tires instead of just needing a balance, my mechanic offered to run it down for a set. I'm 20 miles away and appreciated his offer to do so, since this would save me from taking a 1/2 day off work to take care of it myself. Also thought I'd give the place another chance... So it was my choice as much as my mechanic's who I have the upmost respect for -> Guy Ober's Independent Porsche Care smilie_pokal.gif (as seen in the book "how to make your car handle")

Just wanted to share what was returned to him. He helped me make it right.

The shop close to me that mounts my Hoosiers & Avons (Wayne's Tire) always gives them back bright & shinny! I think they enjoy doing my race tires, whenever I go to pick them up there is usually a crowd around them! (AVON Tech R-As are not too common down here in agricultureville!) Too bad they are 30 miles from my mechanic!

Just wanted to share my bad experience... I won't be going back there even if it means a 1/2 day off for me to shuttle the car around.
orange914
americas tires
the ONLY way to go!
i've bought probably 10 complete sets through them and ALWAYS best price on great tires. they even have a policy to fix ANYONES flats for FREE no matter where/when or how they where purchased driving.gif clap56.gif
John
Just be happy you still have your centercaps. (I lost one due to a crappy tire store)

I now have my own tire equipment and never again will let a greasy kid screw up my rims/tires/lug nuts/car, etc. (wasn't it a tire store that dropped a brand new Lotus from a lift? And they call themselves professionals)

I would bitch at your mechanic for not following up better than that. The mechanic did provide the service for you.

Best of luck to you.
machina
when i had fancy wheels i used to drive 45 minutes each way to a custom tire shop that did it right.

now with my beat up fuchs, i just go to the local shop and give the installer $20 while i watch.

with the new mounting machines, even a mindless tech could do the job without scratching the rim.
markb
Next time have it taken to Kevin at SM Tire in SLO. He'll take care of you right. I take the 914's to him (they also have the touchless system). Kev is my former business partner, and knows well how we value these cars. He may have to special order the tires you want, but his price will be right, and he'll take care of the rims.
73Phoenix20
Interesting thread!

Had a set of completely refinished Fuchs and decided to haul them over to Tire Rack for the new rubber. Now, Tire Rack sells some really expensive wheels and hot tires, so I was expecting top notch "No Touch" service... the "long hair" on the mounting machine starts tossing the Fuchs aound like they are steelies off a 65 Valiant!!!
I step in and politely state that these wheels are damned near irreplacable, and if he scratches them, his boss just bought them!

Well, he stops everything and goes to get the "Boss", who turned out to be the older gentleman who owns the company!!! And he proceeds to tell me that he can't guarantee that the wheels won't get scratched, and if that isn't good enough, take my business elsewhere!!!!

I shoot back with "You are selling and mounting wheels that cost as much as some cars, and you tell me you can't guarantee a damage free mount??? WTF kind of place are you running here!?!?!" Well, that got his attention, and he personally supervised the mounting and balancing of my tires, and the "long hair" did a very careful and immaculate job!
Must say that I was very satisfied with the results, but sure took a strange path to get there! I also had a great conversation with the owner, learning about how he used to buy tires from Europe on his personal credit when the business was getting started.

BUT, the real point is... what happened to Customer Service and "Do It Right The First Time" and "The Customer Is Always Right"???

You buy their product and it's like you are doing them a favor and should get out of their hair as soon as possible! I just don't get it... and if you buy your wheel & tire packages from TR, better go and watch them do the job!
markb
I had a problem a while back with a shop that did a lot of business with a shop I help out at. I took in "our" (my ex's & my) 911SC that was often entered in car shows (which means we know every inch of the car inside & out, 'cause it gets cleaned so much) and bought new tires & had them mounted.
I went to pick up the car (dummy me, I didn't stay & watch over it), and one of the Fuchs had a heavy scratch in it. I went & got the owner, who's comment was, and I quote, "that scratch is older than I am". Do I do business with that store any more? Not on your life! Not with that kind of attitude. I go there when I have to take a customer's car there, but I won't ever personally send anyone there again. There are too many places I can go & have the car treated with the respect it deserves.
hwgunner
race914, I am also local to you and, as a matter of fact, was just discussing you (your cars actually) with markb this evening. How I would love to see that race car in person. Anyway, I think I know what shop you are refering to and have had the same experience when I was not there to watch them. Most recently I stick around and watch and just tell the "long hair", he really does not have long hair but...., how I want it done. Comes out great now. Have not tried markb's friend but may give it a go here soon as I will be needing tires for the taildragger soon. Best part about the other shop is that they gut me a deal as a dealer so my tires amuy cheap.
race914
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just wanted to see if others have encountered the same lack of pride in workmanship... (at least my car didn't fall off of the lift!)

I figure I'll let this shop's work speak for itself and posted this on the local PCA email list too..

Here is the quality I get from my regular tire store.

Click to view attachment

Lesson learned is taking the 'easy' route doesn't always pay off!
markb
shocked[1].gif wub.gif pray.gif
PRS914-6
I had the same issue when someone was tossing around my 9" Fuchs (freshly polished) Now I put a big piece of tape on the wheels and write "WARNING! This wheel cost $800.00" They handle them like a baby now......
banger
I guess I was lucky when I went to get my tires put on. One of the salesman at Americas tire, was a 914 owner as well. When he saw the car come in, he supervised the guys through every step of the process to make sure the car was jacked up properly (no lift), and that they didnt scratch the wheels.
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 28 2006, 05:51 PM) *

I had the same issue when someone was tossing around my 9" Fuchs (freshly polished) Now I put a big piece of tape on the wheels and write "WARNING! This wheel cost $800.00" They handle them like a baby now......

He, He! That's like a red flag to a bull in this part of the USA! My neighbor took his BMW 745LI in for a new set of Michelins... put a note on the wheels to the effect that they were the "Optional" and therefore, VERY expensive wheels and please be extra careful.... well, every wheel came back Curbed, big time!!! I could not believe how bad they nailed the outer edges! Sooo, off to the attorney, and after a few threatening letters back and forth, a brand new set of Wheels and Tires, free of charge!
Hope the creeps got tossed out for that mess, but I doubt it! Probably blamed it on the mounting machine!!!
race914
Thanks Mark,

I like my polished fuchs too!
jd74914
We've always gone to places like town fair tire around here to mount stuff . . . they've always been exceedingly careful when mounting tires on the fuchs for my Dad's 911 . . . I think they enjoy doing it because people always end up watching it and the always bump us to the front of the line so we don't have to stay to long to watch laugh.gif
Matt Romanowski
I think I'm missing something - looks to me like you brought a dirty tire / rim in and they swapped the tires. Yes, they forgot a valve cap, but that's all I see. Did you expect them to clean your wheels? No one around here does that.
Rusty
I guess I'm leaning towards Matt's point of view... but I would mention it to the manager and give him an opportunity to correct it.

Maybe someone was up all night with a sick kid... maybe it was their first day... who knows? No real harm done, right

Now if they f'd up one of your wheels, that would be a different story, in my book. mad.gif
computers4kids
I brought a set of freshly polished alloys in to a local shop to have new tires mounted. I took the time to explain the "uniqueness" of these wheels to the person at the desk. I thought I was OK and like an idiot (long wait), I left and came back. When I came back I found one of the wheels had clamp marks right on the front side of the rim. WTF.gif I was so pissed. How in the hell did they do that???? After complaining the mananger came over and got the idiot who did the work...turns out that he was "new." When he dismounted the first tire, he had the rim upside down and the clamp which secures the rim from the hidden underside clamped instead the polished side! The shop didn't think the marks were all that big of a deal and said I could file a claim.

As said before...What ever happen to personal pride.

Lesson Learned: I always watch every rim being mounted now.

Sort of a happy ending: After a few hours of sanding and polishing I was able to remove the marks, but the sour taste in my mouth is still as fresh as the day it happened.
Spoke
I mostly go to a local National Tire & Battery store. Prices are ok but they do offer lifetime balance and rotation. They also let you into the shop area where I can closely watch the work and comment where necessary.

2 stories from that NTB:

1)
Took my A6 in for new treads. Before I could react, the tech started pulling the plastic lug caps off with a screwdriver prying against the wheel. I told him to stop while I get the proper tool out of the trunk. Had some minor scratches; now I remove all lug and center caps before entering any tire store.

2)
Also with the A6, I blew out a tire on RT78 in NJ on a massive pothole that bent all 4 rims and cut the sidewall on one of the tires. I went to NTB to get the same tires (a pair); they had to order from another store and I prepaid. Got a call; tires are in.

Went to the store; car up on the lift; wheels off; then people sort of standing around. I ask what is going on and the sales guy said the tires (pre-ordered and paid by me) had somehow been sold to someone else. They re-ordered again and this time made sure they went on MY car.

Spoke
race914
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Dec 29 2006, 09:46 AM) *

I think I'm missing something - looks to me like you brought a dirty tire / rim in and they swapped the tires. Yes, they forgot a valve cap, but that's all I see. Did you expect them to clean your wheels? No one around here does that.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response. You're right, my original post & pic didn't focus in on my issue, and was somewhat misleading which you picked up on. Thanks for pointing that out.

The wheels had not been previously detailed to concours readiness, but the car had just been washed, and the outside of the wheels (spokes & rims) looked OK when it went to the shop. I didn't expect the wheels to come back cleaner than they went in (i.e. clean the layer of brake dust behind the spokes), but I did expect them to come back in relatively the same condition.

The mounting solution they slopped all over the wheels is dirty & sticky and had dried by the time I picked the car up. Once dried, this stuff is not easy to remove. Hot water, soap and a sponge wouldn't take it off, just gummed up the sponge. Here are more specific pics and looking at these again, trust me the pics don't do the mess justice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As Lawrence pointed out, no real harm done, just a PITA to clean, and sad that this shop doesn't take pride in the work they turn out.

Thanks again for questioning my post. I didn't mean to blame the brake dust & dirty lugnut wells on the tire shop, just the mounting lube.
Matt Romanowski
That makes more sense. I'd be annoyed too if they went in pretty clean and came back nasty. I would have mentioned something too.

Also a little surprising that they used a lot of lube. When I do tires for Porsches (and especially tracked cars) I do them almost dry to keep moisture out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.