Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pedal cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BatAc
OK......have all disconnected at the pedal cluster.'cept one thin'......there's a cable over at jus' to right of the gas pedal...........it doesn't seem to jus' pop off......been usin' a 10mm to undo what appears to be adjustment nut....BUT......come on.......there must be a more pratical way..........gettin' frustrated.........'n' my body is cramped.....also is this the clutch cable????..........THANKS
John
If'n it be connected to the clayutch pedal, itz beein the clayutch cable.

If'n it be connected to the gas pedal itz beein the throttle cable.

If'n it be the throttle cable, it pops off of a ball.

If'n it be the clayutch cable, there is a snap that is attached to a pin. The snap pops up or down and the pin can be removed from the cable end.

I hope this helps. Do you have a manual of any type?
BatAc
Yea..........thought it would be the gas cable.........but didn't see the clutch cable......that may be gone.........she's sweet............jus' picked up........she's a '73 that's been sittin' in a barn in Montana for fifteen years..........no cancerous rust...........my worst rust is at the pedal cluster and driver side of gas tank .......where the rats use to live............have those ares clean now........startin' at front workin' my way back 'fore I try to start up..........one owner car 'n' she paid cash for it in '73.....I have original sales receipt.............SOOOOOOOOO.........I did pop off the clip...........'n' I do have the futile HAYNES manual..........even have the printout of the cluster rebuild from pelican.............it jus' doesn't seem to pop off as everyone says..........then 'gain.............maybe..............my back is so tweaked, I can't think straight..............hope I've been pellucid 'nough.............
John
You did pop off the clip? Then I will assume we are talking about the clutch cable.

This does move when you move the clutch pedal?

If so, I am also assuming that the "pin" is stuck or rusted into the pedal cluster.

Do you have the clutch cable disconnected at the transmission? If not, there may be considerable tension on the cable preventing you from removing the clutch clevis pin.

Check there first. If the cable is loose, the pedal will fall to the floor (it is under spring tension at the pedal cluster).

I'm guessing you are having troubles with #55 and #56 in the picture....
BatAc
Yep............I'm thinkin' we're lookin' @ the same spot...............hadn't thought of the stuck part...........always taught.........don't force it.............you know.......oops........so..........thanks alot..............with a clear head I'll dive back under
Bruce Hinds
One other thought on the pin and clip.... I think it's possible to intall it backwards. It may slid out toward the center of the car or toward the driver side which would make it tight and pedal position could make a difference, it's been a long time since I've been in that area. Get a light and a mirror to see what you're looking at. If the clip moved, the pin shouldn't be stuck. By moving the clip, you've rotated the pin.
V8Bruce
John
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Dec 28 2006, 06:45 AM) *

One other thought on the pin and clip.... I think it's possible to intall it backwards. It may slid out toward the center of the car or toward the driver side which would make it tight and pedal position could make a difference, it's been a long time since I've been in that area. Get a light and a mirror to see what you're looking at. If the clip moved, the pin shouldn't be stuck. By moving the clip, you've rotated the pin.
V8Bruce

I didn't think the connection between the clip and the pin were that tight. I think the pin can rotate independantly from the clip. I may be wrong, but I believe that is the way it is on my cars. The pin could also have a wear spot which would result in a ridge in the pin making it difficult to remove.

Just a thought.
Jeffs9146
You must remove the clip completly and I use a pair of needle nose plyers to pop the cable off from there.

Jeff
toon1
this same thing happend to me. What I came to find out is the nylon bushing wears and goes away after time and you are left with metal to metal. that will wear a slot that makes it difficult to remove.

I put a bearing in mine as a fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.