Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weltmeister 180lb springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael N
The Weltmeister 180lb springs have the coils closer on one end than the other. Which end goes up the end with the close coils or the end with the coils spaced further apart?
TravisNeff
Coils that are closer together go to the top.
Michael N
Thank you. Now back to work for me. smile.gif
John
It does not matter how the springs are mounted.

You could mount them sideways and they would still have the same compression rate.
Michael N
QUOTE(John @ Dec 27 2006, 01:57 PM) *

You could mount them sideways and they would still have the same compression rate.

Then wouldn't it make more sense to put the tighter coils towards the ground to lower the weight?
John
The weight difference would be negligible. I stand by what I wrote. The spring could be mounted either way and it won't perform any differently. It will still compress a given amount for a given load. It's called a spring constant. Every spring has one.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(John @ Dec 27 2006, 07:44 PM) *

The weight difference would be negligible. I stand by what I wrote. The spring could be mounted either way and it won't perform any differently. It will still compress a given amount for a given load. It's called a spring constant. Every spring has one.

agree.gif

if it really is heavier at one end.. put the heavy end toward the body for less "UNsprung weight"....

johnman is spot on.
Michael N
Thanks for the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.