Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [NPC] Thoughts on a squareback
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
erikstoll
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=399043

comments, etc? im new to the idea of purchasing one, but it doenst seem to be in too terrible of shape.
Thanks
Erik
ws91420
Not much info there. No wires on the engine. Need to see what shape the floor pans are like under that carpet.
erikstoll
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Dec 27 2006, 01:25 PM) *

Not much info there. No wires on the engine. Need to see what shape the floor pans are like under that carpet.

no wires on the engine means...? wont be running or?

sorry, i dont know much about stuff like that sad.gif
ws91420
no wires from the distributor cap to plugs so the engine will not run in that state. so no telling when the motor actually last run.
erikstoll
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Dec 27 2006, 01:33 PM) *

no wires from the distributor cap to plugs so the engine will not run in that state. so no telling when the motor actually last run.

good to know, that would be a nice fun tow back to reno sad.gif
r_towle
look harder, you should be able to find a running driver for that kind of money.
Like a 914, they suck to get parts for, so buy two.
Rich
erikstoll
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2006, 02:31 PM) *

look harder, you should be able to find a running driver for that kind of money.
Like a 914, they suck to get parts for, so buy two.
Rich

not what i wanted to hear living in an apartment and all.... dmanit

guess ill wait till i move into a house w/ the car obsessed g/f this summer
r_towle
let me be more specific, and it might make you feel better..

The interior is unique. front seats are from the beetle, sometimes...

the Exterior body is unique.

the driveline, front suspension (to a point) and the rest of the car is from the beetle or bus or ghia parts bin.

Motor is bus, sometime with djet..sometimes carbs.

So, find a car with a nice body and a really nice interior...
For me the interior would be key, the body can be fixed, but the interior would end up costing big bucks..

Rich
Air_Cooled_Nut
Run away! Water leaks and no air filters on engine = shortened lifespan. Way too much work needed on that one...

Lurk on the vwtype3.org email list (it's free!). Maybe ask questions, too wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2006, 02:40 PM) *

let me be more specific, and it might make you feel better..

The interior is unique. front seats are from the beetle, sometimes...

Nope. Seats are T3 only. Except 1973 (last year car was produced) where the seats are unique to the T3...but first year Golf seats will bolt right in smile.gif

the driveline, front suspension (to a point) and the rest of the car is from the beetle or bus or ghia parts bin.

Front suspension is T3. Fan housing and cooling tin is T3. No T2 (Bus) parts. Tranny nose cone is T3. Tranny is basically a T1 unit but with different gearing, of course, for the "bigger" motor. Some parts are T1 (easily found) and many are T3 only.

Motor is bus, sometime with djet..sometimes carbs.

No. Motor is closer to the T1 (Bug) except for the cooling tin and fan housing. All USA models came with FI (fuel injection), D-jet. European (includes Canada) came with carbs or FI.

Owning a decent T3 can be as much work as owning a 914...I own both so I can make the comparison wink.gif Both can get on your nerves and be a tad spendy until everything gets ironed out. The T3 won't handle like the 914 nor go as quickly but the 914 won't carry you, the family, and all your camping gear off-road for the weekend. Each has their place. If you are comfy with the 914 4-cylinder engine then you'll find the T3 engine/tranny a piece of cake! More space, easier and cheaper to provide hp enhancements, and dropping the engine is waaaaay easier than a teener...but what isn't bootyshake.gif
rhodyguy
keep looking. i think the blue 71' pictured on p.3 would be a much better car for not much more money.

k
ThinAir
Since Toby owns both, he's clearly got the most intimate knowledge of these things. My own sentiment is that unless you are already into Squarebacks, this is a good one to pass on.

If you really want a Squareback,I have an acquaintance there in Flagstaff that had one for sale last Fall. I don't know if he still has it, but I can ask. He was asking something like $2300. It had been recently repainted and ran well. The interior had a few issues, but nothing that you couldn't live with and get to when you felt comfortable.

The thing about Squarebacks (and Fastbacks) is that the front end changed (in 70 or 71). Early models had round "bullet" turn signals and a more rounded nose. The early models are the better looking (IMHO) and are more desireable for those who are into these cars.

I would have bought that Squareback myself except that it was a late model and I really don't have a place for yet another car (too many 914s already).
hmeeder
IMHO you'd also want to swap transmissions.

Those automatics were crap and the car couldn't get out of it's own way downhill with a tailwind.
kdfoust
What was the deal with the automatic in those cars? I dated a girl in high school who... Uh, wait, wrong story.

I remember this 411 that a neighbor had. It seemed like they were always wrestling with the shifter when driving but it was an automatic...were those automatic clutch trannies like the sportomatic?

Later,
Kevin

PS - I browse 411 on the samba myself. It must be because of that girl in high school... drooley.gif
erikstoll
I just want to thank you all for all the help and information, you guys seriously kick ass.
I dont know what I would do without such a great group of folks to get knowledgeable advice from on cars such as these.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Dec 28 2006, 09:32 AM) *
I remember this 411 that a neighbor had. It seemed like they were always wrestling with the shifter when driving but it was an automatic...were those automatic clutch trannies like the sportomatic?...

The T3 used a TRUE automatic transaxle, NOT the auto-stick like that of the Bug. And the T3 automatic shifts smoothly and works very well...when maintained...just like any other car. My girlfriend liked my T3 automatic better than her 2002 Passat 2.0t automatic. My friend Brian has an automatic T4 and it shifts even more smoothly. The automatic tranny can handle upto +200hp wink.gif And being Borg-Warner inside means you can still get parts.

The T3 automatic I used to own:
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=29

More details on her:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/vw_auto_72/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.