Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crap, ordered the wrong ball joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
I need to replace the ball joints that go on the end of the tie rods, but instead I ordered the ball joint that mounts the suspension to the A-arm. dry.gif

I am trying to tighten up my steering as it feels a bit wobbly and I can see "looseness" at the tie rod ends.

But the question now is: should I go ahead and do the other ball joints since I have them. I don't "think" the A-arm ball joints are bad, but honestly I am not sure how to tell if they are or not. Is this a big job? Sounds like I need a special tool. What other hardware is required?

help!
Cap'n Krusty
What you want are "tie rod ends". They're not called "ball joints" in that application. If you have the correct ball joints for your car, and you can't return them, you might as well replace 'em. BE SURE you have the right ones! Early vs. late, and they DON'T interchange. The Cap'n
John
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Dec 27 2006, 01:56 PM) *

I need to replace the ball joints that go on the end of the tie rods, but instead I ordered the ball joint that mounts the suspension to the A-arm. dry.gif

I am trying to tighten up my steering as it feels a bit wobbly and I can see "looseness" at the tie rod ends.

But the question now is: should I go ahead and do the other ball joints since I have them. I don't "think" the A-arm ball joints are bad, but honestly I am not sure how to tell if they are or not. Is this a big job? Sounds like I need a special tool. What other hardware is required?

help!

How old are your existing ball joints? I have broken 2 ball joints on the track (one at a time) and it is not a good feeling.

I would suggest replacing them since you have the parts and yours are probably old.

I think Pelican sells a tie-rod seperation tool that makes life easier (it works real well). They also sell the ball joint nut socket.

A test for bad ball joints is:

Lift the corner to test so that the tire is off the ground. Using a lever (length of board or a pry bar) try to lift the wheel vertically. If there is any movement before the A-arm moves with it, the ball joint is loose in it's socket and requires replacement.
Joe Bob
if the ones on your ride are 30 years old and you have the right parts do it right and put em on....
jr91472
Well I DO have the correct early style ball joint, so guess I just added to my to do list. Hopefully I can find someone local (oh Clay....) that can loan me the special socket.

Does anyone have a tech article on this job? Didn't find one on the bird board.... dry.gif
Aaron Cox
i have the special socket....

i can loan it to you after steve wood is done with it...(i think that will be this weekend)

I also have the turbo tie rod wrench if you need it....

AA
dakotaewing
JR -
If you are going to replace the ball joints, you need to determine if your struts are the pinch bolt type...
If they are, you will also need 2 pinch bolts for the ball joints...
Everything I have read says to replace them, not reuse them...

I am currently doing this myself...

TE
jr91472
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 27 2006, 03:49 PM) *

i have the special socket....

i can loan it to you after steve wood is done with it...(i think that will be this weekend)

I also have the turbo tie rod wrench if you need it....

AA

Thanks Aaron. If I can't find one here closer, I will give you a shout.

beer.gif
jr91472
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Dec 27 2006, 04:09 PM) *

JR -
If you are going to replace the ball joints, you need to determine if your struts are the pinch bolt type...
If they are, you will also need 2 pinch bolts for the ball joints...
Everything I have read says to replace them, not reuse them...

I am currently doing this myself...

TE

No worries, not only did I order the wrong ball joints, but I also order the corresponding wrong hardware chairfall.gif
ClayPerrine
No, I don't have the special socket for the ball joints. But I am going to buy one for future use. It can be the local loaner tool for any DFW owners who needs to use it.

If you need help with the ball joints and tie rods, we could do a tech session in Early January at my house on how to replace them.

Let me know if you are interested.

jr91472
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 28 2006, 07:42 AM) *

No, I don't have the special socket for the ball joints. But I am going to buy one for future use. It can be the local loaner tool for any DFW owners who needs to use it.

If you need help with the ball joints and tie rods, we could do a tech session in Early January at my house on how to replace them.

Let me know if you are interested.

Hell yeah clap56.gif

I need to order the tie rod ends and check with the boss on a good Sat or Sun. I will pm you in the next day or so.

should be great fun!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.