Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine header pr0n
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ejm
Went down to Chris Foley's shop today to meet a friend who's car is there for some rust repair and an exhaust. Chris was using the car to test fit a modified header before it goes out to be coated. Somebody here is going to really sweet system soon.
ejm
'nother
Dr Evil
Always nice work, but the tranny is leaking and the CV bolts are backing out wink.gif
mikelsr
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 27 2006, 08:44 PM) *

Always nice work, but the tranny is leaking and the CV bolts are backing out wink.gif

Good catch on the CV bolts. I missed them altogether.
jd74914
Very, very nice
seanery
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 27 2006, 11:40 PM) *

Very, very nice

agree.gif
ChrisFoley
UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS!!!
Admins: delete this topic immediately!
Pictures of the latest model Tangerine Header are not scheduled for release until 2007!

JK!
Nice pics, thanks Ed!
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 27 2006, 09:44 PM) *

LOL, it figures you would see that! biggrin.gif
The tranny works ok, so its not time to rebuild quite yet. The halfshaft has to be lowered to install the header. If the car was on a lift it wouldn't be necessary though.
crash914
HE he ....if I want to rub the magic header...I just go down into by basement...

I got some polishing compound and thought about shining up the muffler...hmmmm.... naw, I just better finish the flairs and put the engine back in...help!...need motivation.....
DNHunt
I'm hoping that be mine. Made a deal with the wife, that is my Christmas, valentine, birthday, Father's day, and anniversary present for this year. On top of that I had to sell some used SSI heater boxes and give her the cash. She drives a hard bargain. Steep price but, worth it I think. piratenanner.gif

Dave
rhodyguy
after seeing them on william's car i was wondering what the install process was. are you going to have yours coated dave?

k
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 28 2006, 04:44 AM) *

UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS!!!
Admins: delete this topic immediately!
Pictures of the latest model Tangerine Header are not scheduled for release until 2007!

JK!
Nice pics, thanks Ed!
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 27 2006, 09:44 PM) *

LOL, it figures you would see that! biggrin.gif
The tranny works ok, so its not time to rebuild quite yet. The halfshaft has to be lowered to install the header. If the car was on a lift it wouldn't be necessary though.

Chris,
What did you change? Mine didn't require halfshaft disconnection to install...
DNHunt
Kevin

It's getting coated.

Rob

The primaries on mine are a little longer, maybe that makes a difference.

Dave
Chris Pincetich
I thought the primaries looked a little longer than normal....something is brewing. I think I've heard short primaries are best for high rev's, so maybe this better for more torque? blink.gif
popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 28 2006, 11:37 AM) *

Chris,
What did you change? Mine didn't require halfshaft disconnection to install...

The car just isn't far enough up in the air to slip the pipe over the halfshaft. I was only explaining why the CV bolts were backed out.

Dave,
This is your header. The muffler is just about done and the header is being delivered to the coating shop this afternoon. I'm glad you worked out a deal with your significant other. smile.gif

This header is the first Tangerine Street Header, as opposed to the Tangerine Racing Header. The pipe lengths are adjusted for engines that peak below 6000 rpm - such as the RAT 2270 Performer, or a bone stock engine. Side benefits include increased clearance for the clutch cable, and better tube arrangement for ease of fitting a heater box. clap56.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 28 2006, 10:05 AM) *
...This header is the first Tangerine Street Header, as opposed to the Tangerine Racing Header. The pipe lengths are adjusted for engines that peak below 6000 rpm - such as the RAT 2270 Performer, or a bone stock engine. Side benefits include increased clearance for the clutch cable, and better tube arrangement for ease of fitting a heater box. clap56.gif

All excellent points to know about with this product. Thanks!
BIG OLE 4
Chris, looks great as always!!

Chris and I will be working together even more in 2007 to develop some new systems and variants of current systems. My new R&D dyno lab is being set up with exhaust system testing as one if its primary goals.

ChrisFoley
I recently finished the header and heat exchanger installation on this car.
The complete HE system went on with only two minor issues. The wye tube that splits the heat to both sides of the car need a tweek so the flex tube would connect better. The second issue was actually with the wire that controls the flappers. It was too short on one side so I pulled it partway out of the tunnel to move the bend in the wire. I broke the wire trying to straighten the original bend. sad.gif
Here are a few pics from the install:
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
closeup of the stainless flange which supports/seals the box at the header flange connection.
Click to view attachment
passenger side flapper in its new location.
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
drivers side flapper.
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
Modified branch piece with new silicone seal strip.
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
are those "RivNuts" on the heater box? very cool.
ChrisFoley
The little flaps on the blower housing are critical to proper HE function. The drivers side gets locked shut since my HE is only on one side of the header. The passenger side operates normal to prevent backflow when the engine is idling and the booster fan is running.
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 7 2007, 11:29 AM) *

are those "RivNuts" on the heater box? very cool.

No riv-nuts. The lower portion of the box and all the tube connections are held with stainless sheet metal screws.

View from behind.
Click to view attachment
jd74914
Very very nice clap56.gif
ChrisFoley
Last pic for now, view from below.
You can kinda see the branch piece and the wye tube in this shot.
Brando
Chris, what are you aiming to retail the tangerine street header with the heat exchanger setup for? I'm drooley.gif over this shnitzel.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I looked at your website. Yeah, I'ma be savin for a while. Well worth the money and uncontested at that,
DNHunt
Here's another take on heater boxes. They are 22 gauge stainless, removable, and feed both sides of the header. THe gasket is graphite coated glass fibers with polyvinyl silicone to tack it.

Drivers side Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Passenger sideClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914werke
w00t.gif Holy Crap Dave did you hand pound all that?
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 7 2007, 09:15 AM) *

Last pic for now, view from below.
You can kinda see the branch piece and the wye tube in this shot.

Chris,
Is there a gasket 'tween the sheet metal where things screw together? Just wondering if any leaking (in or out) can be minimized to optimize the heat output since only one [smaller volume] side is providing it.

Nice work nonetheless! drooley.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Feb 24 2007, 02:34 PM) *

Is there a gasket 'tween the sheet metal where things screw together? Just wondering if any leaking (in or out) can be minimized to optimize the heat output since only one [smaller volume] side is providing it.

Nice work nonetheless! drooley.gif

The two box halves fit well together so there is minimal leakage. Where the exhaust tubes come out the back side I use a ceramic fiber batt to fill the gaps. There are a few small openings that could be plugged with silicone rtv if the installer felt the need.

Dave, thats impressive! I'm glad to see you've been busy. I'll be interested to get a report on the function of your HE system once the car is up and running.
Andyrew
22gua? DAMN THIN!!!!

Sheesh.. Your using paper?

It would form easy though...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.