Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Boat Names
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
So, got the boat last year. Got the engines working, electrical working good. going to be finishing up some cosmetic stuff this winter. still working slooowly on getting the kids and wife into boating. They love it in the slip. At sea, not so good. barf.gif barf.gif and this was in 1-3ft seas.

Anyway, the name of the boat is "Island Chaser" dry.gif I'm having some gelcoat work done and had the faded painted name buffed off.

3 year old want's to call it Barney or Pink dry.gif

I'm throwing it out to the group for some ideas. It's a family boat, so, let's try and keep suggestions "G" rated smile.gif

I thought of "Fish & Chips" with some tuna and poker chips. confused24.gif

post away with suggestions.
TROJANMAN
if i ever bought a boat, it was going to get the name "spirit of troy"

for obvious reasons............

how about NARB - Not a Real boat laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
i would call it george LOL

"on the turn" - thats how you bought it huh? poker star!
roadster fan
My dad had a boat years back named "waterhole"......as in a hole in the water where you throw your $$$$$$$

I love boating but the hobby can be expensive.....wait, what am I saying I own 914! blink.gif

Jim
markb
Myott

(My Yacht)
shelby/914
You and your family are, "Making Memories" Ya I know it's been done. In fact a friend is on #III. He names each succesively longer one the same thing.
Dr. Roger
Our 24' was the KAMIKAZE named after our favorite cocktail at the time. =-)

People didn't like to get near us for some reason... happy11.gif

We anchored near a 60'er one weekend and the guys wife started saying angry things like, "I hope you are heavily insured"... flipa.gif Take a chill pill lady. Geez, it's all in good fun. beerchug.gif

Boat names are great fun. Whatever you choose it'll be good.
My bro's name is Scott. when he retired for the first time his boat got the name, "Scott Free".
Then he started another company and sold it. The next boats name was "Scott Free II"... They're up to III. LOL
project-914
My friends and I personally like the "U.S.S. Weiner"
Borderline
Our boat's name is Borderline, We had it shipped out to the west coast from Chicago and at the time thought we were borderline crazy for doing it. Our boat is a sail boat and we race on the SF Bay. One thing I have noted about boat names is that people get cute with fancy sounding names that can't be pronounced or understood over the radio. If you are ever in an emergency situation and have to contact the Coast Guard over the vhf radio you'll appreciate a simple name that is easily understood over the radio.

Borderline/Bill
ConeDodger
Hydrotherapy

Agua Caliente (its where daddy goes when he is in hot water)

It is always good to name it after your wife or daughter... Sailors have done this for years...

Rob
dflesburg
"Jenny" just like my hero Forest Gump
Jeffs9146
My 52' is named "Caliente" We changed the old name from Captian & HA????? We couldn't figure out what that name meant!

Video (may take a few minutes to load)

Jeff
Michael N
"Work" Some one calls and were are you? At work.

Along the same lines:

The Office
The Job Site
Elliot_Cannon
Didn't I read somewhere that is was unlucky to change the name of a boat? If the kids get seasick, get the the wristbands that have the little button on the inside. Tell them they are magic wrist bands and they will NEVER get sick if they wear them. They work! Walter Kronkites boat was named "Assignment". So if anyone wanted to know where he was, they were told, "he is on assignment".
Cheers, Elliot
JB 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 28 2006, 10:31 AM) *

Didn't I read somewhere that is was unlucky to change the name of a boat? If the kids get seasick, get the the wristbands that have the little button on the inside. Tell them they are magic wrist bands and they will NEVER get sick if they wear them. They work! Walter Kronkites boat was named "Assignment". So if anyone wanted to know where he was, they were told, "he is on assignment".
Cheers, Elliot

I've got the wristbands, the ginger candy, ect. barf.gif

there is an extensive procedure to follow in renaming a boat. (see party!)

gopack
My personal favorite is
WOFTAM
an acronym for Waste Of Fucking Time And Money.
It is PG if you dont have to explain it to the kids. (substitute Fricken for the other F word)
twistedstang
How about "Serenity now!" All of the Seinfeld fans will get it.
jsteele22
QUOTE(twistedstang @ Dec 28 2006, 02:32 PM) *

How about "Serenity now!" All of the Seinfeld fans will get it.

Best one so far, IMO. Or maybe the Festivus
sjhowitson
We called ours Ricochet. We bounced off many things while learning to put it on the trailer. It was always an adventure. Oh good times !!

Cheers
robby750
Had a friend once with a boat named "DAMIFINO". People were always asking him what it mean't. His reply,,, Damn if I know!
Mrs. K
What about "Got Damp"..........

Then you can name the trailer "The Got Damp Trailer" biggrin.gif

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
ws91420
914 related

"RUST FREE TUB"
jimtab
The last time I visited Orcas Island I saw a big boat with a bunch of black guys and gals partying their asses off, the name of the boat..."we be havin' thangs"....NO SHIT...best boat name ever....
drewvw
along those same lines...a writer once joked about the name of Latrell Spreewells yacht, the "S.S. Biatch".

So maybe thats an option...better have a good hat though.
JB 914
I'm enjoying this thread.....keep em' coming!
Joe Bob
IPB Image

From a band in the 70s....used the logo on the deck of my flat bottom race boat....called it the Average White Boat....

Of course she showed a little more boob and had a nicer Lisaesque butt....
degreeoff
I second the "BAD LUCK" to change the name....I am from an OLD fishing family (Dad was Captain of a sword boat in Glouster MA)

my $.02

Josh
riverman
My buddy had a boat he called the "Cirrosis of the River".
WRX914
I agree with not renaming, but if it were my boat and it had not been named yet, it would be In memory of "the millionair" on Gilligans Island;

Thirston Towel the 3rd

in reference to wet towels...
elwood-914
'Sweet Mathilda' for my late grandmother. But yeah Bad Luck to change names.
Borderline
Forget the bad luck stromberg.gif Name the boat what you like! You don't want to have to explain someone else's stupid name!

I know a guy who has had two boats: Aquaholic and Aquadesiac.

there was a small sailboat in our marina named Caution had a yellow stripe around the gunwale and all. It was weird to hail him. You'd call out "caution" and everyone thought there was some sort of emergency!! chairfall.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Borderline @ Dec 29 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Forget the bad luck stromberg.gif Name the boat what you like! You don't want to have to explain someone else's stupid name!

I know a guy who has had two boats: Aquaholic and Aquadesiac.

there was a small sailboat in our marina named Caution had a yellow stripe around the gunwale and all. It was weird to hail him. You'd call out "caution" and everyone thought there was some sort of emergency!! chairfall.gif

You have a marina in San Juan Bautista? Must be on the east side of the fault line ...................... The Cap'n
Teknon
My father had a 36' cabin cruiser that was called SEAWOLF.

If I get one I want to call it CINEMA FACE BABY av-943.gif

JD2
pfierb
After owning five boats power and sail I found that you can't go wrong naming a boat using your wifes first name and middle initial i.e. Nancy J. That is if you still are married....All those cutsie names wear thin fast.
My .02
Paul F.
Ray Warren
We named ours "Naughty Buoy".
JB 914
QUOTE(pfierb @ Dec 30 2006, 04:51 AM) *

After owning five boats power and sail I found that you can't go wrong naming a boat using your wifes first name and middle initial i.e. Nancy J. That is if you still are married....All those cutsie names wear thin fast.
My .02
Paul F.

Yep, when i was a kid we had a little 14' boat with an out board. the "Mary C" after my mom.

Maybe i'll go with the:

Mary C II
CBK (Cherry, Brianna, Kaitlin my wife and girls)

Oh and as for the "bad luck" thing on renaming a boat......I think it's bad luck to be Superstitious happy11.gif

besides here is the tried and true
boat renaming
Kargeek
You know that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

We have a family partnership with our boat- us and two additional immediate families. Our combined use of the boat is around 100 hours a year and there are always discussions of why we need to spend so much money to maintain the boat.

I have suggested our boat’s name to be “Family Feud”

DH
Mike D.
Hey Joe,

When I was growing up our sail boat was called "Abel II", we bought it with that name but aparently the "Abel" burned up.

I always thought if I got a boat like yours, fishing boat/cruiser, I name it "Ona Pa'a!". That's Hawaiian for "Fish ON!"

Have you checked the local fishing reports lately.

-Have fun!
73Phoenix20
Used to dock my 42 Chris Aft Cabin next to "The Raven"...

Big, black hulled 56' Bertram Sportfisher...

Dingy was named "Nevermore"...

So, if you have a literary bent...!

BYW, we named the Chris Craft "Gayle Wins".....

What can I say, the wife liked it!
iamchappy
If i had a boat i would name it BOAT.
JB 914
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Dec 30 2006, 12:59 PM) *

Hey Joe,

When I was growing up our sail boat was called "Abel II", we bought it with that name but aparently the "Abel" burned up.

I always thought if I got a boat like yours, fishing boat/cruiser, I name it "Ona Pa'a!". That's Hawaiian for "Fish ON!"

Have you checked the local fishing reports lately.

-Have fun!

No have not been fishin for a few months. they have a few species closed right now. lobsters are open, but, i don't have the nets and i'm not going to invest in that equipment. they are still catching yellow tail out at Catalina,but, waters getting cold and they are heading back south. i need to do a few more shorter trips to make sure i've got all my engines right. i had some air gettting into the fuel line on my starboard engine. I'm pretty sure it's worked out, but, would rather do a little cruise or two to have piece of mind.

scotty b
Ture story. Acouple of years ago a friend of mine bought an old Ghris Craft yacht, and began restoring it. 40 something foot I think. Anyway the boats previous name was ANA - LORAL. Not being to crazy about that name but curious as to the boats past due to the name Brian begins asking around and doing some research on said craft. Apparently the boat belonged to 2 sisters who ran there own business. No not a bakery....no not a stamp shop....they "entertained" some local big wigs from time to time.....no not a catering company....Yup they were "professional" ladies.Brian then assumes that the boats name, was the sisters names.....WRONG. Now I ask you to look at the name ANA - LORAL one more time and re-arrange it ever so slightly..............

Yeah got it now ? ANA LORAL.......ANA L ORAL.......ANAL ORAL... shocked[1].gif ....ANAL - ORAL

Honest to god true story. Brian did get the boat shipwerthy (somewhat) but had a string of bad experiences with it and ended up selling it off after it ran aground from taking on water in the James River.
JB 914
funny story Scotty, thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.