Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caramel colored fluid(help!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DerekKim
Ok to start off it is a 73 1.7 D-Jet. I was doing a vacuum line/hose replacement job and I'm down to two left. They are to the left of the oil filler cap. Looking from the back of the car facing the front. It is close to the shroud housing where it T's off. I have one hose that comes off and goes to the left side and goes down in I guess the block of the engine and the other goes over to the right. Roughly the same spot on each side. I pulled these off. Very brittle and I had some caramel colored fluid that had spilled out. I was very concerned about this. Both are 1/2 inch(13mm) lines. What would the color and or liquid be from? I can take pictures in the morning if it would help at all.

Derek
McMark
Sounds like the breather hoses that go into the heads. The liquid is probably oil.
TheCabinetmaker
You are correct I think, Mark
r_towle
head breather hoses, and the carmel color is what happens to oil when it gets to much moisture.

Change your oil.
solex
what does it smell like? do you see the same color fluid on the inside of the oil fill cap, could be water and/or fuel...
Joe Bob
Check the level in your radiator......

beerchug.gif
DerekKim
It smelled a little like gas. I just changed the oil and filter last week and have not done any big trips. So for these lines will it be ok to just replace them with some rubber hoses or do the need a special kind of hose? Also will it be ok to just replace them or do i need to look into this more?
McMark
Just replace them.
r_towle
The hose needs to be metric, not american sized...

I also use clamps on those hoses, they blow off when you rev alot...

And when they blow off,,,its a mess.

R
DerekKim
1/2 inch is really like 12.6 or something right? Metric is hella hard to come by out here. Half the time people look at me like I'm retarded when I ask for things. The dumb thing is I ask for specific things too. I'll clamp em on down and use 1/2 inch. Thanks for the replies guys!

DRok
markb
You don't have VW shops out there? That's where a lot of folks get theirs.
TheCabinetmaker
vw shops, mercedes, porsche shops, etc.
DerekKim
We have one that I know of and I wouldn't go there. I use to work in the same shop. They don't keep that stuff on hand. They would order it whereas I might as well order it from PP and give them my support.
VWnDRAG
(Slight Hijack)
I've gotta agree with Derek. The large metric stuff is tough to find, even in LA. I've been using 1/2" (red) radiator hose for the oil breather line. It works, but makes me nuts every time I look into the engine. Would rather have all german braided if I could find it. Pelican doesnt even stock. Tried the local bug shop also.
DerekKim
Well hey since ya'll are adding pics. Could I get a picture of stock D-Jet 1.7L piping so I can get exactly where everything goes? I'm concerned something may be crossed. I tried following the PP diagram but I have more hoses? Not sure. If someone could help me out I have tried searching but only found 2.0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.