Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Serial Numbers...Do they matter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
quadracerx
Hi Guys...

Just got a 76 914 not perfect but a good start...also go a 2.0 73 car in pieces...here is my question:

Do the engine numbers matter? Do the numbers match the serial number of the cars somehow?

Or could I just rebuild the 73 2.0 and nobody knows the difference?

Thanks...

Steve
davep
You bet I could tell. The engine codes are different between those years. I can also come close to matching probably 80% of the engines with a range of VIN's. My own LE is one of the few exceptions since its engine is 4 months out of sequence. My advice is to try and keep it original wherever possible. However, you do what you have to do.
type4org
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Dec 29 2006, 09:54 AM) *

Just got a 76 914 not perfect but a good start...also go a 2.0 73 car in pieces...here is my question:

Do the engine numbers matter? Do the numbers match the serial number of the cars somehow?

The people who care about originality will always notice. But in the end it's about *you*. If you don't care then it doesn't matter.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 29 2006, 04:46 PM) *

You bet I could tell. The engine codes are different between those years. I can also come close to matching probably 80% of the engines with a range of VIN's. My own LE is one of the few exceptions since its engine is 4 months out of sequence. My advice is to try and keep it original wherever possible. However, you do what you have to do.

I'm with Dave - keep it as original as possible. Think about the future - you my want to sell it someday. Original will always bring a better price.

I also agree that you should do what you want. I do what I want by maintaining originality on my '72. But you'd better believe that the next one will be a little different. Have a garage queen/original beast, but want something personalized too. But I would only personalize a 914 that was incurable of being a classic.

BTW Dave, explain "4 months out of sequence"
914runnow
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Dec 29 2006, 07:54 AM) *

Hi Guys...

Thanks...

Steve

Well does resale matter to you ...
The 73 2.0 is the 'prized' pick for 4 cylinder 'production'
demand..
First being the LE's of 74......
More HP stock for the 73 2.0.......
I have a 75 1.8...and a 73 2.0..
Like my chrome bumps and my 'BIG' bumps..
Most like the early bumps.70-74...
As Pat said..with a second you personalize it...
That is the 75..BUT the motor is all stock.....
Swap motors?????
Will you Auto X one or track it..???
Numbers match..
Will you Concour one of them??
What is the vin on the 76 and the 73..??
How is each car 'Loaded'??
Then how soon to be driving a 'reliable 914'...?
76 is good to go? They only made them for four months....
More rare than the 73.....But not the demand as the 73....
quadracerx
Hi...

Upon closer inspection the 73 is in fact a 1.7 not a 2.0...Dangit...The 76 is a 2.0 but someone before me put Carbs on it and ditched the Fuel Injection....

Id like to put Fuel Injection back on the 76...would the setup from the 73 work properly? Or does someone know where I can locate a complete FI setup for a 76 914?

Thanks again...

Steve
TJB/914
Steve,

I agree with everyone, but it's your personal choice.

If It was my car, here's how I would look at it.

All 1976's had 2.0 liter motor's.

All 1973 & 1974 2.0 liter motors start with GA plus the serial #.

All 1975 & 1976 2.0 liter motor's are GC plus the serial #.

The only way a concourse judge could tell if it's an original motor # is by the certificate of origin from Porsche. If you are in CW competition you have to have all these things if you expect to win. As to the value of a matching motor it's worth something only to the CW buyer. In the long term, a valuable asset when selling for the big bucks. If it's a rust bucket & daily driver it's not worth the effort.
Enjoy it if it's only a daily driver. Hope this helps. Pat will take the position to match the motor #, because he only knows original. That's why they make vanilla & chocolate ice cream. Everyone's different.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 2 2007, 01:24 AM) *

Steve,

I agree with everyone, but it's your personal choice.

If It was my car, here's how I would look at it.

All 1976's had 2.0 liter motor's.

All 1973 & 1974 2.0 liter motors start with GA plus the serial #.

All 1975 & 1976 2.0 liter motor's are GC plus the serial #.

The only way a concourse judge could tell if it's an original motor # is by the certificate of origin from Porsche. If you are in CW competition you have to have all these things if you expect to win. As to the value of a matching motor it's worth something only to the CW buyer. In the long term, a valuable asset when selling for the big bucks. If it's a rust bucket & daily driver it's not worth the effort.
Enjoy it if it's only a daily driver. Hope this helps. Pat will take the position to match the motor #, because he only knows original. That's why they make vanilla & chocolate ice cream. Everyone's different.

Tom

Actually I DO know a couple of things other than originality. Originality is the path I've chosen for my '72 & I'll steadfastly keep in that direction with that 914. The next one will be whatever I want it to be, but decidedly NOT a CW car.

I take the position that everyone should do what gives them the biggest grin from their 914. If it's originality/CW stuff, that's great. If you want to stuff a 3.6 into it, with all the necessary trappings (brakes, flairs, etc) - go for it.

That's why there are so many diverse forums on this site. To each his own.

BTW, Steve - if you're seriously considering re-installing FI on your '76 (something I would recommend) try haunting EBay for a while. Complete FI systems come up regularly & usually go for very reasonable bids. Narrow your search to 914 only in order to keep from having to search through thousands of Porsche auctions.

Good luck & keep us informed.

Pat
davep
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 31 2006, 06:44 PM) *

My own LE is one of the few exceptions since its engine is 4 months out of sequence.

My LE has engine # GA008924, and an engine with that # should have been installed in Sept or Oct 1973 instead of March 1974. While I don't have a COA on the car, the owners manual lists that engine as being installed at delivery. So I expect it sat around much longer that it should have.

I have an extensive database that I use to determine build dates and to detect patterns.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 3 2007, 03:21 PM) *

My own LE is one of the few exceptions since its engine is 4 months out of sequence.

My LE has engine # GA008924, and an engine with that # should have been installed in Sept or Oct 1973 instead of March 1974. While I don't have a COA on the car, the owners manual lists that engine as being installed at delivery. So I expect it sat around much longer that it should have.

I have an extensive database that I use to determine build dates and to detect patterns.

Dave,
Any ideas as to why your 914 motor sat around for so long? Guess we'll never know exactly, but I'd like to have a fly on the wall at the factory. Interesting stuff!

Guess it could have been due to over production of the 2.0, but a 4 month supply of motors would have been huge.
1970 Neun vierzehn
"Any ideas as to why your 914 motor sat around for so long? Guess we'll never know exactly, but I'd like to have a fly on the wall at the factory. Interesting stuff!"

Hans was waiting for more white paint to stencil onto the tin in an effort to further confound us with this minutia 30+ years later blink.gif poke.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 3 2007, 11:21 AM) *

What is the build month and the GA # on your 73?????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.